Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
40 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Just had another "snow fix" lol - on BBC2 with ski sunday

From my years living in Germany i remember well just how much winter sports feature on TV at this time of year on the continent - ski jumping, cross country skiing, alpine competitions, ice hockey, skating, bob sleighing etc and always enjoyed watching for lengthy periods of time although not ever having pursued any of these myself.🏒⛸️🎿🛷

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Wetterfrosch said:

From my years living in Germany i remember well just how much winter sports feature on TV at this time of year on the continent - ski jumping, cross country skiing, alpine competitions, ice hockey, skating, bob sleighing etc and always enjoyed watching for lengthy periods of time although not ever having pursued any of these myself.🏒⛸️🎿🛷

Absolutely love ski sunday ❤️ 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Cymro said:

So who still has snow cover in the shade 😀? We do! 6th day and the ground has frozen solid! What a great cold spell this has been for us here 😊

yep still got snow cover here too - temps really haven't risen that much and won't do this week either

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Snow cover here and on many of the untreated side roads and hill roads.  Icerinky still.  Suspect with the warmer temps lower levels will be gone overnight.  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and hot sun

Is a Sudden Stratospheric Warming occurring and will it bring the Beast from the East? Hmm ... your thoughts out there fellow Welsh Weather Wizards ?  From my point of view if there's even a hint of truth in that headline I'm going to have to plan extra feed deliveries for the cows. 

Posted
6 hours ago, Penfoel said:

Is a Sudden Stratospheric Warming occurring and will it bring the Beast from the East? Hmm ... your thoughts out there fellow Welsh Weather Wizards ?  From my point of view if there's even a hint of truth in that headline I'm going to have to plan extra feed deliveries for the cows. 

wouldn't worry right now - not looking likely at the mo - and even if and that's a big if, it did occur, not likely to effect us until late feb/early march if at all

very icy again out there this morning - take care driving in these conditions

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Should be seasonal!

The continuing snow and frost brought an unusual visitor into the garden first thing this morning, never seen one in the daylight in the garden - must be starving. A reminder to remember our furred and feathered friends in this prolonged cold snap! 

Still seems considerable uncertainty in both the short and medium term over on the other thread, all I know was that we certainly weren't expecting to still have snow on the ground now! 

Could contain: Dog, Mammal, Animal, Canine, Kit Fox, Fox, Wildlife, Deer, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Mammal, Animal, Wildlife, Kit Fox, Fox, Canine, Dog, Pet

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, acorb said:

The continuing snow and frost brought an unusual visitor into the garden first thing this morning, never seen one in the daylight in the garden - must be starving. A reminder to remember our furred and feathered friends in this prolonged cold snap! 

Still seems considerable uncertainty in both the short and medium term over on the other thread, all I know was that we certainly weren't expecting to still have snow on the ground now! 

Could contain: Dog, Mammal, Animal, Canine, Kit Fox, Fox, Wildlife, Deer, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Mammal, Animal, Wildlife, Kit Fox, Fox, Canine, Dog, Pet

bbc were a bit to bullish in pushing the temps up this week - they have since realised there error and pegged them back now - meto also guilty of the same

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

bbc were a bit to bullish in pushing the temps up this week - they have since realised there error and pegged them back now - meto also guilty of the same

Indeed and it makes me think anyone making predictions beyond Wednesday or Thursday atm needs to be very careful. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, acorb said:

Indeed and it makes me think anyone making predictions beyond Wednesday or Thursday atm needs to be very careful. 

gfs 00z is showing more colder northerly and pm attacks starting as early as possibly next monday - but more runs needed to firm up on this

• Like 1

Posted

gfs 06z also showing now from next monday a cold shot from the north with pm shots after that - so looking a little bit more interesting potentially as we move forward to the end of jan and into feb

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
6 hours ago, andymusic said:

wouldn't worry right now - not looking likely at the mo - and even if and that's a big if, it did occur, not likely to effect us until late feb/early march if at all

Fully agree, too much wishful thinking over in the MOD thread at times by some, facts currently don't ring alarm bells IMO.

• Like 1

Posted

Tune into BBC the one show tonight - there will be a feature on Ben Nevis's ski resort

Edited by andymusic
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

Tune into BBC the one show tonight - there will be a feature on Ben Nevis's ski resort

Will do! Btw. any clues how to find out actual snow depths here in Britain, either on MO or other websites? Surely, they are recorded and reported in real time!?!🤔

Posted
1 hour ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Will do! Btw. any clues how to find out actual snow depths here in Britain, either on MO or other websites? Surely, they are recorded and reported in real time!?!🤔

I would visit the regional threads on this forum - often get reports from around the country about how much snow has fallen where

• Thanks 1

Posted

After watching the short piece on the Ben Nevis ski resort there was also Winterwatch on BBC4 which was essentially a re-showing of an original 45 min b/w documentary about the 'Big Freeze of 1963', albeit not containing much meteorological information, just a few fairly plain surface pressure charts at the end. Wonder how we would cope today with such a prolonged period of heavy snow, ice and frost? The BFTE of 2018 was bad enough, but two month of it?🤔🌨️☃️

Posted
5 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

After watching the short piece on the Ben Nevis ski resort there was also Winterwatch on BBC4 which was essentially a re-showing of an original 45 min b/w documentary about the 'Big Freeze of 1963', albeit not containing much meteorological information, just a few fairly plain surface pressure charts at the end. Wonder how we would cope today with such a prolonged period of heavy snow, ice and frost? The BFTE of 2018 was bad enough, but two month of it?🤔🌨️☃️

December 2010 was closest to that and that only lasted 3-4 weeks - but that was fairly severe temps and snowise - glad in some ways that those sort of conditions only hit the UK very infrequently like once in 100 years or so

• Like 1

Posted

Frosty morning and still the snow holds on in the shade! That makes 8 days now 😀👌

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, andymusic said:

December 2010 was closest to that and that only lasted 3-4 weeks - but that was fairly severe temps and snowise - glad in some ways that those sort of conditions only hit the UK very infrequently like once in 100 years or so

The beauty of this was that at least for a few days the world around us seemed so still and with most side roads impassable you could even meet and speak to your neighbours as they headed down the road on foot rather than zooming past the house in their cars. That, I found, was utter winter bliss!!❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Complete opposite here, 7 C and overcast with cloud ceiling low enough to hide Crib Nantlle, utter drab with anything white long gone! ☹️At least, it's dry and still so will spend the afternoon out in the garden for a few winter jobs.🪚

1 hour ago, Cymro said:

Frosty morning and still the snow holds on in the shade! That makes 8 days now 😀👌

Posted

Still hanging on here too, certainly not much of a thaw today, temp currently 1c with fog.. 

Longest stretch of lying snow for a number of years. 

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Weather, Nature, Garden, Backyard, Tree, Plant, Vegetation, Person

• Like 3