Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

Looks like rain / sleet on the radar

Typical it will happen here, will be sleet and we will get plenty of ice - great !!

Edited by Gizzy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
9 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Looks like rain / sleet on the radar

Typical it will happen here, will be sleet and we will get plenty of ice - great !!

It was earlier but someone confirmed it was snow right on the coast so see what happens.  I'm a bit deflated with the cold spell at the minute lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
8 minutes ago, P-M said:

It was earlier but someone confirmed it was snow right on the coast so see what happens.  I'm a bit deflated with the cold spell at the minute lol 

Same. The cold spell that promised so much and delivered so little 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

Same. The cold spell that promised so much and delivered so little 

I need to learn not to get sucked into it on the mod thread.  It's never anywhere near as severe most of the time when it comes to snow ❄️ 😂 Saying that it has been really cold and festive with a little covering so every cloud and all that.  

Posted
Just now, P-M said:

I need to learn not to get sucked into it on the mod thread.  It's never anywhere near as severe most of the time when it comes to snow ❄️😂 Saying that it has been really cold and festive with a little covering so every cloud and all that.  

Problem has been the struggle to get the real cold air southwards and for the northerly initially to be more of a NNE'ly. Been some cold nights though and some places has seen ice days. 

Still a chance in the NE for a fresh top up of snow, only takes one potent heavy shower to make a difference. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, P-M said:

I need to learn not to get sucked into it on the mod thread.  It's never anywhere near as severe most of the time when it comes to snow ❄️😂 Saying that it has been really cold and festive with a little covering so every cloud and all that.  

You need to take everything they say there with a shovel, not a pinch, of salt .

They like to exaggerate and sensationalize everything. What we are experiencing is a pretty 'normal' cold spell, by no means historical or memorable or exceptional like most posters there want us to believe.

It's a bit like the papers nowadays. The more you exaggerate the more clicks/likes you get...

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Why do the showers seem to head south but then hit this line and bounce back north. 

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Peninsula, Shoreline, Map

I was thinking the same, there was a huge clump over whitby area and then just disappeared!!

40 minutes ago, P-M said:

Yep I am with you, very deflated.

Edited by Gizzy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mathematician said:

You need to take everything they say there with a shovel, not a pinch, of salt .

They like to exaggerate and sensationalize everything. What we are experiencing is a pretty 'normal' cold spell, by no means historical or memorable or exceptional like most posters there want us to believe.

It's a bit like the papers nowadays. The more you exaggerate the more clicks/likes you get...

I think that's disrespectful to the many posters on there who are knowledgeable and even said this is not like 2010. Sure some may be hyperbole but the vast majority are not imo. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I think that's disrespectful to the many posters on there who are knowledgeable and even said this is not like 2010. Sure some may be hyperbole but the vast majority are not imo. 

I agree with mathematician and would suggest it is a lot more than some who are way over the top.

Though agree there is a few who are very knowledgeable.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I don't think anyone was being disrespectful at all. There are as you say many good posters in that thread and I've learned a lot from them.  But it's true there can be hype sometimes which I get is excitement,  but non the less my point was I'm not going to buy into it.  Or at least try not too.  I don't think any offence was meant by his comments it's an observation.  The MD thread itself is great the majority of the time but this cold spell is nothing like a lot of people hyped it up to be. Not even close yet.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

South Shields Weather (Neil Bradshaw's site) is at 1.3C, but the dew point is up at 0.7C, which is consistent with it being sleety.   There's still plenty of lying snow on the roofs on his webcam though.

Posted
31 minutes ago, P-M said:

I don't think anyone was being disrespectful at all. There are as you say many good posters in that thread and I've learned a lot from them.  But it's true there can be hype sometimes which I get is excitement,  but non the less my point was I'm not going to buy into it.  Or at least try not too.  I don't think any offence was meant by his comments it's an observation.  The MD thread itself is great the majority of the time but this cold spell is nothing like a lot of people hyped it up to be. Not even close yet.  

I perhaps might agree in terms of snow but in fairness some runs were better than what we ended up with. Potential was there and whilst some comments saying we could be on the cusp of 2010 was OTT, the potential was there for the uppers to be colder than what they were. 

Edited by Geordiesnow
  • Like 1

Posted

Light snow just started here from this blob on the radarCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoorscurrent temp here 0.3c

been a disappointing cold spell in for us in the NE so far,  however there is still time in the coming week to get a bit snow , which is better than no snow chances at all🙂

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I perhaps might agree in terms of snow but in fairness some runs were better than what we ended up with. Potential was there and whilst some comments saying we could be on the cusp of 2010 was OTT, the potential was there for the uppers to be colder than what they were. 

I've always liked your voice of reality mate lol 😆  hopefully we'll get a decent covering mid week? 

Posted
43 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

The mods need to clamp down on the posters who shout boom, 2010 and 62/63 every time there is a cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted

So the radar looks half promising now as they're moving more on shore.  However i will wait and see what actually falls from the sky. 

To be fair good luck to the southerners, so many years they miss out so I'm buzzing they've managed to get some snow this time around.  At least up here we usually stand a better chance.  Just not this time so far 😂

Could contain: Person, Face, Head, Plot, Chart

Posted
Just now, Phil Blake said:

Surely that can't evaporate or miss Chester 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Person, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant

Watch 😂😂😂

Posted
4 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

I bet it does vanish into thin air 🤣

It did earlier near me. It literally split in 2 went around my house then sort of joined back up again 😂😂

• Like 1