Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

I’m still expecting little here. Stoke doesn’t do well from significantly cold events, particularly from the east. It’s the marginal events that deliver here. Similar for Cheshire and Manchester areas.

Think I’ll be enjoying this one from a distance. 

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Dont worry my peeps i will be back here from tomorrow evening especially as we get closer to knowing where the snow will actually fall!!until then im in the MOD thread!!!charts are fabulous hey?!!❄midlands in a very good spot currently!!!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I’m still expecting little here. Stoke doesn’t do well from significantly cold events, particularly from the east. It’s the marginal events that deliver here. Similar for Cheshire and Manchester areas.

Think I’ll be enjoying this one from a distance. 

Oh  Far south east of Stoke (my area) has just been put in the new warning area as I was typing.

EFF00162-B80A-4487-910D-CA0C2CBB9E59.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Are we in Wolves in for at least a little sprinkling of the wondrous white stuff?  Or are we going to be too far west ?

Posted

I remember there was a dry slot like the icon is showing during an easterly we had before, hopefully we dont see the same thing happen. 

Screenshot_20210204_112123.jpg

Posted
Just now, MKN said:

I remember there was a dry slot like the icon is showing during an easterly we had before, hopefully we dont see the same thing happen. 

Yeah could prob do with the low pushing further SE, short term pain for more longer term gain? 

Posted
36 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Dont worry my peeps i will be back here from tomorrow evening especially as we get closer to knowing where the snow will actually fall!!until then im in the MOD thread!!!charts are fabulous hey?!!❄midlands in a very good spot currently!!!

Hey mate, I think the Midlands is good if your in the East of the region but those in the West are going to be watching from afar I think. Hope I am wrong

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MKN said:

Yeh my only worry as well!!i mentioned it in the mod thread this morning!!same thing happened with beast from 2018!!nottingham got pounded with nearly 20cms of snow from showers but here in leicester nuttin at all!!just gota be wary!!

Posted
13 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Yeah could prob do with the low pushing further SE, short term pain for more longer term gain? 

I think so, the lows nesting themselves onto the continent is definitely better news for the scandi high to remain propped up and keep those easterly winds flowing towards us. I wouldnt read too deeply into any snow forecasts for saturday night/sunday yet, as there'll be some chopping and changing for the next 48 hours.

• Thanks 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Talks about 15cms of snow

I would love to see 15 cms of snow, haven't seen that for many years.  The closest was at my parents in Mansfield Dec 2010...  That was the most frustrating time as there were heaps of snow north midlands (notts) Warwickshire West midlands i.e Coventry but Hinckley had NONE!!!  

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Oh  Far south east of Stoke (my area) has just been put in the new warning area as I was typing.

EFF00162-B80A-4487-910D-CA0C2CBB9E59.jpeg

I've noticed a couple of times, starting in 2010, that Stoke has been right at the tail end of a Wash streamer. Never produced much in the way of lying snow, as it's always been very dry and powdery, leading to lots of "mini drifts", with most of the ground blown clear. This was the case in 2018 too, although the stronger sun inbetween soon dealt with it. Once the attacks start in the middle of next week, experience tells me to expect raw, dull days, with the snow never quite making it.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, davehsug said:

I've noticed a couple of times, starting in 2010, that Stoke has been right at the tail end of a Wash streamer. Never produced much in the way of lying snow, as it's always been very dry and powdery, leading to lots of "mini drifts", with most of the ground blown clear. This was the case in 2018 too, although the stronger sun inbetween soon dealt with it. Once the attacks start in the middle of next week, experience tells me to expect raw, dull days, with the snow never quite making it.

That is pretty much what I’m expecting. Need a really unstable easterly flow/troughs/fronts  for snow in Stoke from an easterly/north easterly. Might be OK here in the far south if it’s a direct easterly. Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands just kill it off otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
3 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Agree the Midlands especially the West never does well from easterlies as the fronts never seem to push far enough in land. I think the West mids will get a dusting. East mids between 5 to 10 cms. Eastern britian 15 to 20cms. But West mids always do better in Northerlies especially through the Cheshire gap. Not excited myself but happy for people in the East who have missed out so far this is there time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That is pretty much what I’m expecting. Need a really unstable easterly flow/troughs/fronts  for snow in Stoke from an easterly/north easterly. Might be OK here in the far south if it’s a direct easterly. Peak District and Staffordshire Moorlands just kill it off otherwise.

should be E'ly or at worst ENE'ly, for Sundays low, really it needs to be further South, at the moment we're in the dry cloudy zone, the meto warning just about over me in SE Stafford

Posted

Latest bbc weather had it mainly in East anglia. Not good for mids but potentially very good for London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

Latest bbc weather had it mainly in East anglia. Not good for mids but potentially very good for London.

for Sunday? aye poor for many in here, Sunday night better when frontal ppn moves away, bringing in showers

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

should be E'ly or at worst ENE'ly, for Sundays low, really it needs to be further South, at the moment we're in the dry cloudy zone, the meto warning just about over me in SE Stafford

Met Office warning appears to suggest the fronts from that low will affect us.

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Agree the Midlands especially the West never does well from easterlies as the fronts never seem to push far enough in land. I think the West mids will get a dusting. East mids between 5 to 10 cms. Eastern britian 15 to 20cms. But West mids always do better in Northerlies especially through the Cheshire gap. Not excited myself but happy for people in the East who have missed out so far this is there time.

I disagree, I can think of occasions where there has been enough instability during an easterly airflow where a regular stream of snow showers has gone right up to the welsh border infact. One prominently comes to mind, maybe feb 2013? There was a good 7/8cm of lying snow from shower activity. No hills to soak it up, if the convection is there the showers will come. Very different to an Atlantic airflow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The dry slot showing on the projections for early next week should probably not worry me at this stage as they are likely to change. However I have seen it so many times. The Peak District to the north gets slammed, just south of Derby gets slammed and here in my area there is just a dusting. The BFTE was not bad here and March 2013 was very good, so I do hope next week provides.

• Like 1

Posted

Never pushes to far inland. Calling this one a no go for here. East mids still in with a shot maybe.

SmartSelect_20210204-125122_Firefox.thumb.gif.164a0a97f9fb32d2b23f00d1bec0beb5.gif

Edited by snowangel32
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

I disagree, I can think of occasions where there has been enough instability during an easterly airflow where a regular stream of snow showers has gone right up to the welsh border infact. One prominently comes to mind, maybe feb 2013? There was a good 7/8cm of lying snow from shower activity. No hills to soak it up, if the convection is there the showers will come. Very different to an Atlantic airflow.

38317568-7B36-40FA-8107-73DBB729C443.jpeg

• Like 2