Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Well looks good everywhere, yes we won't do as well as Leeds area, but surely as good snow wise as 28-29 Dec

I’m very doubtful. North easterlies are poor here. Just have to hope for some troughs and/or some snow when the Atlantic eventually tries to break through.

The snow so far this winter has all come from other directions. Anything from the north, south quadrant, north west or east is great. The west (Welsh mountains) and North East (Peak District) usually disappoints. 

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I’m very doubtful. North easterlies are poor here. Just have to hope for some troughs and/or some snow when the Atlantic eventually tries to break through.

The snow so far this winter has all come from other directions. Anything from the north quadrant, south quadrant, north west or east is great. The west (Welsh mountains) and North East (Peak District) usually disappoints. 

29th Dec? decent event here, came from the NE

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

29th Dec? decent event here, came from the NE

Think that was a trough?

I had to check my Facebook memories. There’s been too many snow events this winter to remember

Posted

The Mod Thread is getting a bit feisty tonight! Lol TBF I am fed up of hearing about the SE but have to read through all the rubbish to try and find out what the models are showing. Is it wrong I want the lot to drop South so we all just get showers? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
9 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

The Mod Thread is getting a bit feisty tonight! Lol TBF I am fed up of hearing about the SE but have to read through all the rubbish to try and find out what the models are showing. Is it wrong I want the lot to drop South so we all just get showers? 

No it is not wrong at all! I honestly can't say I'm sympathetic to those on the south coast or in lowland SE England who want snow. It is common knowledge that those areas are one of the mildest and least snowy places in the UK. If they are so desperate to see snow then they would pack there bags and move somewhere else.

Like there was one poster from Bournemouth who was 'complaining' that the snow depth for there was not that good. It showed around 3cm I think, what do they expect - if you live near the coast don't expect snow. Seems so many have the 'expectation' of a good covering of snow in Winter down there - they will realise in the future that's it unrealistic to have that view.

Edited by AppleUK 123
  • Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Negative nelly in there I see, toy throwing, dunno why I took the member off ignore

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Negative nelly in there I see, toy throwing, dunno why I took the member off ignore

Let me guess is he from Crewe by any chance!

• Like 4

Posted

GfS and Icon tonight not great for snow lovers in the Midlands unless you live right on the east limits. Is the writing on the wall? Hummmm we will wait an see, but the trend is not our friend. 

Can anyone tell me not to worry? Lol 

Edited by WelfordRd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
8 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

GfS and Icon tonight not great for snow lovers in the Midlands unless you live right on the east limits. Is the writing on the wall? Hummmm we will wait an see, but the trend is not our friend. 

Easterly hardly ever delivers for us in the midlands! Well coventry we are to far inland for the heavy snow showers and once the atlantic comes in the mild will win! 

Edited by Shezale coventry
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I love watching the model thread because every time they say a chart is awesome, it’s rubbish away from the south east Of course, they can complain that we’ve done better for snow than them, but I couldn’t care less. I’m still going to be disappointed when/if I miss out on any snow event whilst realising and appreciating that I could have had a far worse winter! (I had enough bad winters when I lived in the south east) . Nothing wrong with feeling that way! Honestly, the wintry weather is the only thing keeping me going through this lonely lockdown.

I think the East Midlands should do well from this spell. West Midlands need to hope for streamers, troughs etc. Then we could all do well when the Atlantic systems try to push in.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I love watching the model thread because every time they say a chart is awesome, it’s rubbish away from the south east Of course, they can complain that we’ve done better for snow than them, but I couldn’t care less. I’m still going to be disappointed when/if I miss out on any snow event whilst realising and appreciating that I could have had a far worse winter! (I had enough bad winters when I lived in the south east) . Nothing wrong with feeling that way! Honestly, the wintry weather is the only thing keeping me going through this lonely lockdown.

I think the East Midlands should do well from this spell. West Midlands need to hope for streamers, troughs etc. Then we could all do well when the Atlantic systems try to push in.

yeah bad run for us, Icon too, need the low either further north or south, we are in the dry zone between convective and frontal

EC looks better as low further north

Posted

After just reading some more comments on the Model Thread from some twrups down south moaning about the north (which for them is north on the M25, I actually do hope they miss out as Karma! Lol Rant over, I will retreat back into watching from a distance lol 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yeah bad run for us, Icon too, need the low either further north or south, we are in the dry zone between convective and frontal

EC looks better as low further north

The way the models are trending, I think that low is just going to end up over France. Not sure what that might mean for the strength of the wind and convection over the U.K.

Posted

Well the Met Office are going for 48 hours of snow between Sunday-Tuesday for here! So who knows what will happen!

• Like 1

Posted

We’ve reached that point where it’s now looking likely and we’re going round in circles looking for the finer details. It’s nice to reach that point again this winter though.

Even though it’s a different set up, the last 2 weekends have been good lessons for me. We’ve had the experience of a success and a failure on consecutive weekends and we were going round in circles on the build up to them as well.

I think I’ll wait until Friday, maybe even Saturday before I start contemplating our snow chances in detail.

Don’t let me put the rest of you off though...it makes for great discussion! And we have many easterlies from the past to draw experience from...a good mix of success and failures too.

Edited by Gord

Posted

On the face of it, Sunday into early next week reminds of this event 8 years ago. I lived in Kent at the time so don’t know what it was like up here but it looks like showers didn’t have any problem getting right across the country.

82AB7F05-AFC6-4639-9A61-73BFC4945C0C.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

On the face of it, Sunday into early next week reminds of this event 8 years ago. I lived in Kent at the time so don’t know what it was like up here but it looks like showers didn’t have any problem getting right across the country.

Yeah you can see the drier zone behind the front there as well which I have heard people talk about maybe for this front. I'd bank thay kinda set up now lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

The down side to that is that the bleedin media with make it out to be like a scene from "the day after tomorrow" up this way we just get on with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
56 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

The SE members always seem to forget they usually get the better end of the bargain during summer with regard to thunderstorms.  Do hope everyone gets some snow though before winter is done with us.  

• Like 2

Posted

I wouldn't be making any predictions right now. These are some of the strangest synoptics I've ever seen, and I'm old! Easterlies are almost always in my experience, brought about by a strongish high somewhere between East Greenland & Scandinavia. Whilst there are heights there, they're not really that robust, and the whole scenario is being controlled by low pressure. I've wracked my brains thinking of similar setups & I just can't think of any. I will join the group who think that Easterlies rarely deliver for our corner in the Staffs/Cheshire borderland. but this is not a typical Easterly, and anything seems possible.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

The SE members always seem to forget they usually get the better end of the bargain during summer with regard to thunderstorms.  Do hope everyone gets some snow though before winter is done with us.  

Stoke stole a lot of the thunderstorms last summer. I get a lot of stick from my snow and storm starved south eastern friends. They’ve been very jealous of Stoke’s weather over the past year, and I’m kind of fretting that next week I might be envious of them

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
27 minutes ago, davehsug said:

I wouldn't be making any predictions right now. These are some of the strangest synoptics I've ever seen, and I'm old! Easterlies are almost always in my experience, brought about by a strongish high somewhere between East Greenland & Scandinavia. Whilst there are heights there, they're not really that robust, and the whole scenario is being controlled by low pressure. I've wracked my brains thinking of similar setups & I just can't think of any. I will join the group who think that Easterlies rarely deliver for our corner in the Staffs/Cheshire borderland. but this is not a typical Easterly, and anything seems possible.

Out of interest mate, some seem to think it was a easterly that delivered a great Snow event for Stoke over the weekend of the 27th Jan 96. 

I cannot remember, but know it was one of the last major falls for us.

I'm sure Matt would be happy with that lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Out of interest mate, some seem to think it was a easterly that delivered a great Snow event for Stoke over the weekend of the 27th Jan 96. 

I cannot remember, but know it was one of the last major falls for us.

I'm sure Matt would be happy with that lol

I remember that event as on the Friday afternoon it looked like it was going miss us and all the warnings were for the East

Went the pub, only to come out at closing time to a whiteout. 

The following morning it was still belting down as we went to Everton for the Everton v Vale Fa Cup game, where there was hardly any Snow. Lol

Edited by Andypvfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
30 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Stoke stole a lot of the thunderstorms last summer. I get a lot of stick from my snow and storm starved south eastern friends. They’ve been very jealous of Stoke’s weather over the past year, and I’m kind of fretting that next week I might be envious of them

Yes, I will agree with that sentiment, we seemed to do better than usual last summer for thunder and lightening, we had some corkers around these parts.  Usually though it seems the eastern regions do better for thunderstorms.