Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion February 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Just seen the BBC TV SE forecast for Sunday which simultaneously showed snow across the region, but with temps. at +2C north of London and +3C south of the Thames!  All this while they claim 0C on the web site for the same areas for the same day!  Why can they never get their data joined up to provide a consistent output?  It's a wonder their MeteoGroup contract hasn't been scrutinised more closely (and been found wanting) before now.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, danm said:

Don’t remember any significant snow in 2015 around here? Winters 2013/14 to 2015/16 were almost snowless. Quite common for there to be lying snow in the suburbs with little to nothing on the ground in central London though. 

We did have some snow in Jan and Feb 2019 if that’s what you’re talking about? 

Definitely 3 Feb 2015, have found it on my phone. It was bizarre, a really thin band of snow. Chingford Plains covered in the morning but there was nothing in Tottenham or in Chigwell as I recall: it was that thin a band! Think it was a Wash Streamer but can’t recall the set up.

Posted
40 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Spoke too soon...15z UKV has a good 5cm or so here for Sunday, come on!

Presumably then it’s looking even more Impressive than these 12 hourly accum. charts from the 12z which was recently posted:

image.thumb.png.4f3abf1a31944d8b2fa22625338c9163.pngimage.thumb.png.87aac91340a6167bf46df0e90ad7c5b0.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

UKV 18:00 Sunday

That's amazing, snow is even settling in the North Sea 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Downpour said:

Definitely 3 Feb 2015, have found it on my phone. It was bizarre, a really thin band of snow. Chingford Plains covered in the morning but there was nothing in Tottenham or in Chigwell as I recall: it was that thin a band! Think it was a Wash Streamer but can’t recall the set up.

Pretty sure I had all melted by the evening. Very odd fall. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
14 minutes ago, kold weather said:

30-40cms locally down in N.Kent if that sort of rate keeps up for a long period of time

Presumably the Kent Downs?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

That's amazing, snow is even settling in the North Sea 

Indeed - given the hype here, it will presumably be frozen by then!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

UKV 18:00 Sunday

36E2657D-77D3-497F-B1BB-D72054425B78.jpeg

I'll take that here, considering I'm expecting basically nothing apart from maybe occasional flurries on Sunday.

I've got a feeling it will be very light snow flurries this far west that may struggle to settle in a traditional sense but get blown around into little mini drifts I suspect, thats what happened with the BFTE over here before Emma came along.

Still we will see, I do suspect its about right further east but for me this far west, I think thats being optimistic to have a covering in a traditional sense.

I do think Monday night through to 12z Tuesday maybe more interesting locally though...

Posted

Just seen on Twitter that Dan Holley is speculating that the big news that is about to break (reference that tweet about news coming out in the hour) is possibly a named storm from the Dutch (KNMI whatever that is)...no idea what this means? Is that going to be good for us?

Edited by Snow Gazer
Added more details
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 minute ago, Snow Gazer said:

Just seen on Twitter that Dan Holley is speculating that the big news that is about to break (reference that tweet about news coming out in the hour) is possibly a named storm from the Dutch....no idea what this means? Is that going to be good for us?

Interesting.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Snow Gazer said:

Just seen on Twitter that Dan Holley is speculating that the big news that is about to break (reference that tweet about news coming out in the hour) is possibly a named storm from the Dutch....no idea what this means? Is that going to be good for us?

Is that what is going to bring our snow

Posted
Just now, lassie23 said:

Is that what is going to bring our snow

No idea....I have no idea how any of this works, I just love snow and get excited whenever it’s on the horizon

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

Indeed - given the hype here, it will presumably be frozen by then!

Lol what hype ?

Nobody has even suggested anything over 15-20cm which is what the warnings are for.

Only that Kaswam dude said 40cm which is ridiculous

Like I said I would take a dusting at this stage and break the 35 month wait

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

Latest UKV 15Z, looks Decent

BE7D3134-1869-48B9-A07D-1ACCF5DD6E65.png

CD3CA72E-B9AB-43C9-8F98-9F78BA179272.png

Nice upgrade.

Just a shame *every* other model has downgraded quite significantly for areas further west.

I think the UKV is probably behind the times on this one based on the rather large change on all the other models on the 12z suite.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Lol what hype ?

Nobody has even suggested anything over 15-20cm which is what the warnings are for.

40cm is certainly possible from this on the hills. Nobody has suggested you'll see it in the centre of  London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Lol what hype ?

Some people in that mod thread need deleting, some of the stuff that's posted in there, mainly by 2, is laughable

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in W.Kent ends up not being far from that sort of levels once we are through, the sort of place that is at the mouth of both a Kent streamer and Thames streamer. Would be very localised but that sort of number has been achieved in similar long lasting easterlies before, especially if there is little melt during daytime.

Both UKV and AROME are locally upto 15-20cms by Sunday afternoon in parts of N.Kent, wouldn't be too unlikely to pull in another 15-20cms locally in a 48-72hrs period

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
5 minutes ago, Snow Gazer said:

No idea....I have no idea how any of this works, I just love snow and get excited whenever it’s on the horizon

Lol they should name it mr blizzardy

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in W.Kent ends up not being far from that sort of levels once we are through, the sort of place that is at the mouth of both a Kent streamer and Thames streamer. Would be very localised but that sort of number has been achieved in similar long lasting easterlies before, especially if there is little melt during daytime.

Both UKV and AROME are locally upto 15-20cms by Sunday afternoon in parts of N.Kent, wouldn't be too unlikely to pull in another 15-20cms locally in a 48-72hrs period

Yh i was being a bit more regional wide but sure yes the North Downs at the Intersection of the heavy prolonged sunday snow, the NE mid kent streamer and ENE Thames Streamer could easily do that somewhere like Detling or Meopham