Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

A bit breezy to start but has suddenly calmed down bright and 7c .Mean"t to say noticed two days ago the holly berries had been stripped completely in one day .

Ground surface has really dried up in the last few days with even a bit of dust yesterday afternoon on farm track blowing in wind. Amazing transformation.

Good to see a fresh start as holly berries in April looks a bit incongrouous as  has happened these last few years.

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Spring?

Exactly what I was thinking when I was walking the pup earlier. I suppose there’s only 2 days to go until meteorological spring! Sunny skies, light winds, 8c.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

6.3C, sunny and nowhere near as windy as yesterday. Spent the morning to the sound of a chainsaw as I had a go at cutting up the tree felled by the wind during storm Corrie, I think, for the second day in a row. I'm getting there, but my chainsaw isn't overly long and I'm starting to struggle as I get to the thicker part of the trunk. When I bought it I was only expecting to trim the odd branch, not dismember a 20+ Yr old fir. 

• Like 8

Posted

Fabulous afternoon blue skies sunshine and light breeze. Took chance to get a  big load of hay off with out bring blown off cart  when stacking it.

But this evening the gales have returned  with the slates rattling again

• Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous afternoon blue skies sunshine and light breeze. Took chance to get a  big load of hay off with out bring blown off cart  when stacking it.

But this evening the gales have returned  with the slates rattling again

Some more wind damage overnight.Very heavy cold frame upended in garden and some  more trees down in woods.Still to check farm road. Currently less windy overcast and 8c

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Very heavy cold frame upended in garden

Learning that polycarbonate greenhouses and cold frames are a very bad idea for this part of the world (unless you get a Polycrub).

Sides blown out of the greenhouse again over the weekend - its a measure of how windy this winter has been as never had any issues for the previous 3 years the greenhouse was up.

Now resorting to reinforcing the roof with old tyres to stop those popping out - that does work but does look ridiculous.

Getting back to the weather, last day of the meteorological winter but it's feeling springlike out there, especially with the first crocuses in flower.

Currently 8.5c with a brisk SW wind allowing things to dry out.

Tantalising areas of blue sky towards the NW, hopefully reaching here later on.

image.thumb.png.0e98fa39b9dc38ec9b6f3484df8ec325.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Sorry, been busy today so only just caught this before bad light stopped play....

image.thumb.png.d0bde3232ae21011847fb3419c3c9115.png Looks like a good covering of fresh snow there.

Unlike here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, Quinach said:

Learning that polycarbonate greenhouses and cold frames are a very bad idea for this part of the world (unless you get a Polycrub).

Quite glad now that I built my one onto the house, so only 2 sides and a roof, with it being well sheltered. Thermometer in there said 21C at one point yesterday, despite the outside temp topping out at less than 7C.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Sister has resorted to putting her greenhouse inside her guaranteed armageddon-proof polytunnel.  Rather an extreme solution but there you go.

2C out now after a high of 8C earlier.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing lightly here this evening.

Though I should probably mention I’m at Glenmore Lodge and not Pittenweem 

• Like 9

Posted

Gorgeous sunny day to start Spring.

Clear blue skies, light winds and currently a very nice feeling 9c when you are in that sun.

image.thumb.png.cae95ab7631233488080a27e1abe5906.png

Airplane contrails forming well today and that is highlighting the noticeably increased military traffic round here; formation of fighters passed over earlier on and now a AWAC plane circling around to the west.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 9

Posted

Aw - look at the doggy!

Before midnight we had our 28th air frost at -0.2C but the wind picked-up and lifted the temp and at dawn we were in +3C territory. Nature feels like it is waiting to burst into life - let's hope it's not like last year where it took until May before any growth.

• Like 9

Posted

Was clear and blue at half 8 this morning within 15 minutes tho had clouded over and does look like that's set in to friday at least. That drizzle is marching northwards

• Like 5

Posted

Met Office way out on the overnight temperature, the forecast +1c ended up being a frigid -4.4c.

Hard penetrating frost to begin the day so feeling like winter again.

Some sunshine first thing but that has been replaced by Aberdeenshire Permagloom™; brisk SE wind making things feel a lot colder than the current 4c.

sunrise.thumb.jpg.50f2483bba72d324705cce3fe0c8c476.jpg

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Despite it being a colder and duller day than yesterday, I decided to get up at 07:00 and make the most of it. ‘The most of it,’ so far, has been disappointing as I’ve just woken up, again, following a three-hour nap. Still, onwards and upwards…

The high temperature for the day so far was 5.9⁰C at 11:15 up from a minimum of -1.7⁰C at 03:37 and now 5.8⁰C, humidity is 84%, wind 3 to 5mph easterly with a maximum gust of 11mph at 10:54, pressure is 1017.7hPa falling quickly, there’s been no rainfall in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 3⁰C.

• Like 7