Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowlessayr said:

View of the kilmarnock storm from Irvine, rumbling away 

Could contain:

Nice one, it's rumbling away every 10 seconds or so, expanding to the north along the M77 but I think it will miss here again. Some others about more south east so not sure if I'm hearing them as well😄

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

30.3c 😎 Doesn’t seem to be a rogue reading as the weather stations on Wunderground are all reading 30/31. Car reading 31.5c etc. 

I wish I was going to get the storms though, I think somewhere in Ayrshire/Glasgow will get a cracking evening!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

30.3c 😎 Doesn’t seem to be a rogue reading as the weather stations on Wunderground are all reading 30/31. Car reading 31.5c etc. 

I wish I was going to get the storms though, I think somewhere in Ayrshire/Glasgow will get a cracking evening!

How’s this for a long shot?  UK max today at Threave Gardens around 32.5c.  Although hourly it doesn’t have the usual 03xxx number (like Auchincruive) so doesn’t get onto Ogimet.  Wish we could access these 03xxx sites, which also include Edin Bot Gardens.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

6 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Looking at the radar I think I'm missing it all at home.

Looks like it's all died/pulsed down now with more general rain around. Nothing more than a few spots of rain here so far but I can still see the towers building again through gaps in the cloud, hopefully there'll be some more storms firing nearby soon.  Nice to hear the loud rumbles of thunder rolling over the hills though! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, dryfie said:

How’s this for a long shot?  UK max today at Threave Gardens around 32.5c.  Although hourly it doesn’t have the usual 03xxx number (like Auchincruive) so doesn’t get onto Ogimet.  Wish we could access these 03xxx sites, which also include Edin Bot Gardens.

What site can you see the updates for Threave Gardens? I used to check for their max and min but can no longer seem to find their data.

Seemed to have maxed out at 30.4c as a breeze picked up. On a day like today, only one place to take the dogs:

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted

Really impressive looking storm activity around Inverness, should help with the wildfire situation.

image.thumb.png.e96ab1b58d64e833e8b5e4a4f39a602c.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Interesting watching the radar around Glasgow looks like that's the main boundary and the way the precip is fading suggests there's probably a cap in place (loaded gun setup)

RESOURCES.EUMETRAIN.ORG

I'd not be surprised to see that being overcome certainly looks to be the case south of Ayr, and the impressive development through the Great Glen > Inverness as I spoke of here with new cells continuing to pop a bit southwest of that main line 😃

14 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

KW's Thunderstorm Predictions >>> 12TH JUNE 2023 

Monday with all the potential to be a noteable severe weather day, firstly we see the biggest available deep layer shear out of this pattern thus far 

gfs_icape_eur18.thumb.png.51f51d61429e172d92ee19f4e8593a29.pnggfs_icape_eur21.thumb.png.28dfd86c7d2c9d350d82c22f75e7b5ad.png

I'm expectant of the first cells that develop merging into another MCS type scenario akin to the last 2 days but a possible exception and the MCS itself could be quite severe in its own right as I'll discuss in a sec. IF the MCS doesn't use up the majority of the available CAPE + Instability which in its own right is quite remarkable for UK storm setups again will show below, but yes IF there is still enough left and cells can utilise it this is a general zone I wouldn't be surprised getting a storm attempting supercellular characteristics 

Screenshot_20230612_013844_Maps.thumb.jpg.0b1798048136aa265fd13289e5b9c5a0.jpg

As mentioned the MCS type development has every chance to be severe / possibly damaging with large hail and rainfall rates capable of flash flooding 

gfs_hail_eur18.thumb.png.b185c88aa8b0eac1251af38c31801ef0.png 

animqib9.thumb.gif.d1aa25e8185054b56abcfa6be6ab932c.gif

There will also be intense-severe storms around Glasgow and the Great Glen up toward Inverness 

Get these saved in your storm galleries if you like charts to reminisce with 

😲💣 just your casual 2000 CAPE values ..

animvfr2.thumb.gif.a550784eeb31a646e0643cebff3d971b.gifgfs_mucape_eur18.thumb.png.95ae6481fe4d39a103f379e88a2d68f8.png

Best of luck for you guys + gals in these zones 😊 absolute zilch here hopefully the next plume opportunity gives me better chance 🙌🤓

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
47 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

What site can you see the updates for Threave Gardens? I used to check for their max and min but can no longer seem to find their data.

Seemed to have maxed out at 30.4c as a breeze picked up. On a day like today, only one place to take the dogs:

Could contain:

Mistake in mine.  The international number for UK stations always starts with 03.  So Baltasound in Shetland is 03002, Glasgow 03134 and Leuchars 03171.  03200 onwards is England.  These reports are distributed worldwide and finally get back to us via other countries such as Spain.  The UK has an additional list which isn’t sent worldwide, with all station numbers starting 99.  These include Threave, and are hard to find in real time.  Presumably their climate data will be on the Met Office site.  A recent BBC Scotland weather headline is mentioning Threave as a hotspot, so they must be privy to the data.

Suggest you could also try the SRUC for Crichton data.  It’s their land and they take the readings, so the data must be available for them to give away?  The Met just provide the accurate calibrated instruments.

apologies to others for this local frippery!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Very black to the west with constant thunder and lightning Just odd spots of rain so far here but very humid. Expecting a soak this evening. Currently 20c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

No idea how accurate this is but it correlates with the car. 
BF84A6EC-F2C1-4E5F-9C19-11286F4ECBDD.thumb.png.c9f61329297ac8fd7db54149afbad823.png
Edit: And with my sweat index! The daily high is just that. Very high!

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Interesting watching the radar around Glasgow looks like that's the main boundary and the way the precip is fading suggests there's probably a cap in place (loaded gun setup)

RESOURCES.EUMETRAIN.ORG

I'd not be surprised to see that being overcome certainly looks to be the case south of Ayr, and the impressive development through the Great Glen > Inverness as I spoke of here with new cells continuing to pop a bit southwest of that main line 😃

I think we might be about to bust the cap here  or find out if not, the sun is back out after the earlier cloud and not much which resulted from the nearby storm. A CB is building quickly to my north west now...

7 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

No idea how accurate this is but it correlates with the car. 
BF84A6EC-F2C1-4E5F-9C19-11286F4ECBDD.thumb.png.c9f61329297ac8fd7db54149afbad823.png
Edit: And with my sweat index! The daily high is just that. Very high!

Looks accurate to me, Glasgow AP is showing 27c at the moment  🥵

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Radar is primed for Fort William ASAP

Dunno if it's the live action but maybe just an issue with the timestamp

Screenshot-20230612-182648-You-Tube.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

This is actually a different cell that has just exploded to the west, rumbles of thunder every few seconds. Feels like a different country today 🤣

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted

Just in from work and the car is reading 27c, at 7pm in the evening in early June with no sun. Seems absolutely nuts. 

Dry, hot and sunny all day at work in Dumbarton. Currently a very active little cell to the west of me, centred over Kilbirnie. Rumbling away constantly. 

0AED678A-2618-4674-90D4-4C4D1C14D568.thumb.jpeg.d00eff3447fba745fe0659ff7217aac4.jpeg

Edited by JamesM
Photo added.
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Went for a better view, haven't seen any lightning but constant rumbling 

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted

@dryfie You were correct, Threave (Nearest station to Dumfries) was the warmest place in the UK today. Warmest day for that station in 60 years apparently. 

An early start beckons as away up to Ballachulish to get a couple munros in, to be another warm one.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

As others in the area have said, it was rather cloudy here but still managed a humid feeling Max of 25.3C, and is still over 20C even now. 

No real shower activity here despite Huntly seeming to have been in the firing line on the radar. Must have been some localised stuff overnight though as roads, around Alford had a noticeable amount of standing water on them this morning in places. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 hours ago, A Winter's Tale said:

In the past few years in Scotland we’ve seen: 31.9 in Bishopton (2018), 31.6 in Edinburgh (2019), 30.8 in Prestwick (2020), 29.6 in Kirkcudbrightshire (2021) and 34.8 in Charterhall (2022).

Threave recorded 30.1C today so another year above 30C. Glasgow airport also recorded 28C - normally the annual warmest temperature there is 27C/28C but it’s unusual to record such a temperature this early in the season and even more so without largely clear skies. 

_130066856_b4210fe4a6de96923530ba915dc6d
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Threave in Dumfries and Galloway reaches 30.1C as the Met Office confirms that Scotland is experiencing a heatwave.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Surprised to see so many days for Motherwell (8 I think) considering it usually seems to peak 2-3c higher further west during hot spells. Just a shame somebody parked next to the station and ruined our all time record in 2018. 🙄

• Like 3

Posted

A degree cooler today, the low was 15.7c.

Currently 22.3c. Full sunshine and humid. Munros have been postponed for today so a day of heat awaits 😥

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1