Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

Very disappointed in todays offerings, heavy down pours here in Redhill area but no storms. It’s still very humid/muggy out there too. 🙁

Posted

Well looks  like everything has swung round me again ..you remember in cartoons when little black clouds followed people about lightning..etc always rained on them...like I guess a low person feels sometimes maybe a  low pressure feels like that ..always kicking off storms or wind .and rain upsetting peoples day ..but they are everything to some 🙂

but not me ...around and  around it goes ..

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, 3cats said:

Very disappointed in todays offerings, heavy down pours here in Redhill area but no storms. It’s still very humid/muggy out there too. 🙁

Didn't even get the down pours here, got nothing but took a coat out with me cause it's looked stormy all day. 

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

A very wet day here today!

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

A very wet day here today!

Sitting in Orpington..dry as bone.. ..had a little bit of rain in Tonbridge early this morning nothing much though 

Could contain:

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Nice pics ^ I was under that :D

- Weather has been a bust today, was expected to clear by the afternoon but it's been raining non stop in east kent! Very heavy at times too

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Complete bust as it seems to be 8 times out of 10 (or it seems) when Stormy weather is predicted in my back yard - just the usual dank light rain rubbish!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
18 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Complete bust as it seems to be 8 times out of 10 (or it seems) when Stormy weather is predicted in my back yard - just the usual dank light rain rubbish!

It's been the same here , might hear the odd rumble of thunder in the distance but that's about it.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

It's been the same here , might hear the odd rumble of thunder in the distance but that's about it.

Been under 7 thunderstorm warnings this year and not once has there been anything resembling a thunderstorm, had some rain on occasions but not even that the weekend just gone. Even yesterday's forecasted heavy rain failed with only a few spots not even enough to wet the ground.

Seems we get all the heat and humidity, Saturday was ridiculously humid, but all the storms were further north again.

Had one storm this year and this was when I wasn't under a thunderstorm warning, ironically. But nothing like storms of the past when there were regular French imports several times a year. Never really had too many homegrown storms in this part of the world, from what I remember, it's the imports that don't seem to happen anymore.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Sparky68 said:

What Rouen ...lol ..if I could hear it would  be good  ..ours here on that trajectory is 10 to one unless proper elevated...Best storm this year funny enough came from north north west in May  ...jacko from France..maybe little flicker in distance ..not over your head though ..

Brexit that what it is ..no taxes no storms mate ..grow your own ..

which here in Kent seems we are out on a limb ..peninsula  some would  say ..but again in the high stuff I've a twist in the tail  😞

Could contain:

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted

Convergence zones ...orographic lift  ? That's game over for Tonbridge.....we have the ingredients sometimes  but not the cooker .. no lift nothing really high enough ..and convergence...even thats not overly sure on where to set up as  Kent has so many its safer for a storm to stick to Surrey   unless elevated...

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, snowblind said:

Been under 7 thunderstorm warnings this year and not once has there been anything resembling a thunderstorm, had some rain on occasions but not even that the weekend just gone. Even yesterday's forecasted heavy rain failed with only a few spots not even enough to wet the ground.

Seems we get all the heat and humidity, Saturday was ridiculously humid, but all the storms were further north again.

Had one storm this year and this was when I wasn't under a thunderstorm warning, ironically. But nothing like storms of the past when there were regular French imports several times a year. Never really had too many homegrown storms in this part of the world, from what I remember, it's the imports that don't seem to happen anymore.

Brexit

Posted

It doesn't look very wet outside considering a band of rain was supposed to come over last night, not much on radar either did it die?

I was rather hoping it would do something.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

A very good Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well. 

It's been quite a while since I posted a Weather related item on my Home Regional Thread, so thought I would correct that now.

As was correctly Forecast yesterday, it was expected to feel humid again Overnight, with our Region finding itself in a Warm Sector, ahead of an approaching Cold Front, as can be seen on the Fax Chart for Midnight just gone, below:

image.thumb.png.626e1f0db1951f1bbbfa645269d06e40.png

Below, are Meteociel graphs showing readings from nearby London City Airport, about 6 miles due North of Lee, as the Crow flies .

It certainly felt "gloopy" overnight, with Temps hovering between 19c and 20c.

I was rudely awoken by a strong gust of wind at around 3.45 A.M., which rattled our Bedroom blinds and blew the curtains around, through the open Bedroom window. I must admit my Brontophobic antenna went up, fearing a nearby Thunder scenario, as it was suggested that the Rain we were likely to experience, may be Thundery in nature

But I resisted the temptation to to turn my Mobile on and look at the Radar returns, as waking 'er indoors before she has had her required sleep, is akin to the Kraken stirring. 

As you can see from the Vent [Wind] graph, the wind has been rising in the last few hours. Pressure has been gradually falling through the Overnight period, ahead of that advancing Cold Front.

image.thumb.png.f860261cfc30b4f5776b6793486b2de3.png image.thumb.png.4ff780bc87e66c83063f657d3505b5a0.png /  image.thumb.png.87fb84037db3bbbbf41b342c3b7e5c77.png

As can be seen on the Meteociel chart below, "Pluie Faible" has been entering our Region, from the N.W.:

image.thumb.png.c062381ca8db220ded02377f1d22a195.png 

I seem to remember mentioning in the last few Years how we seem to be acquiring a Mediterranean type situation, with regard to the incidences of Thunder in our Region, during the Summer Months.

Having had an Italian Mum [R.I.P.], I'm fully conversant with Italian Weather during the Summer Months.

I've been amazed, although being Brontophobic by nature very pleased, at the lack of Thunder events in our Region, for about the past Five Summers. Just as happens in Italy, Thunder events have seemed to come during the transition from Spring to Summer and from Summer to Autumn, as happened in our Region last Summer.

Summers in Southern Italy tend to be hot and dry but with T/Storms forming along the spine of the narrow Italian Peninsular, where Sea Breezes from the Adriatic and Mediterranean, converge.

Then, whichever is the strongest out of those Sea Breezes, the Thundery activity will then transfer to either the Eastern or Western Plain, either side of the Apennine Mountain range, between the Mountain and the Adriatic/;Mediterranean. 

Have seen that scenario played out a few times, when holidaying with my Italian relatives.

Regarding this Summer over here, I experienced a few Thunder events in May but since then, I don't think we've had much at all.

This is far removed to what I remember back as a Child/Teenager, back in the 1960's/'70's. 

Back then, you could guarantee at least one very notable Thunder event, every Summer.

In fact it was a ferocious all Night Thunder event, that really triggered my Brontophobia back when I was Ten.

Speaking of my Italian Mum, it was her who unwittingly implanted the fear of Lightning/Thunder in me.

When Mum saw a flash of Lightning she would make the "Sign of the Cross" and call on Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of Lightning and Storms in general, in Italy.

Back in early June 1966, Mum was a local Maternity Unit and about to give birth, to my youngest Sister and I was left in the care of my Father. 

I can vividly remember that Friday Night of that, ferocious Brontophobia inducing Thunder event.

During the late Morning of Friday 10th June, we'd had a Games lesson at School and experienced a sudden heavy Shower, of very warm Rain. After School I can remember playing Football in a local Park and at one point looked up at the Sky and saw the shape of what looked line giant Bears, forming in the Sky. Perhaps these were Thunder heads, developing from Altocumulus Castellanus?

All hell broke lose at around Midnight that Night and the Thunder as still rumbling around at around 6 A.M.

Our local "rag" the Bromley & Kentish Times spoke of Three T/Storms "clashing" over Bromley, that Night. 

That has all the hallmarks of an M.C.S, having visited Bromley, that Night.

Below, is the archived Synoptic chart for Midnight June 10th, 1966:

image.thumb.png.36796e85b35b9ccce812f9444276336d.png

Looks pretty primed for a major Thundery breakdown, doesn't it? I'm sure those Thunder lovers out there would've loved this event, which was more than can be said, for Yours Truly. 

Dad wasn't much of a help either and made me feel very uncomfortable about my frightened state, at one point calling me a "Sissy".

I'd often thought it was Dad that had caused my fear of Lightning/Thunder and it wasn't until a few Years ago, that it was Mum's reaction to Lightning, that had instilled the Brontophobia in me.   

Back to the here and now. The Cold Front seems to have gone through and the Sun is starting to come out again.

Being a fully paid up member of Dami's "Heat Hater's" Club, I'm hoping that we've seen the "worst" of the heat, this Summer.

Synoptically, it has been a bit different to last Summer.

Last Year, June started on a relatively cool note, with High Pressure anchored close to the Azores, allowing an Atlantic influence to the flow, resulting in a coolish Westerly wind. It wasn't until very late in June, July and August, that High Pressure started to transfer N.E. and eventually settled to the East of the U.K., resulting in those July/August heatwaves of 2022.

As we are aware, this June as a record breaking Month, temperature wise.

For those  Members who like to get a comfortable Night's sleep, the Met Office Forecast for Tonight, will be music to their ears!!   

Tonight:

Showers quickly fading during the evening, leaving most places dry with clear spells, however some showers will linger across the north and west. Feeling a little fresher than Monday night.

But with still close to Seven Weeks of official Meteorological Summer left, I won't be celebrating just yet, from my stance as a "Heat-Hater" and a Brontophobe!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

A very good Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well. 

It's been quite a while since I posted a Weather related item on my Home Regional Thread, so thought I would correct that now.

As was correctly Forecast yesterday, it was expected to feel humid again Overnight, with our Region finding itself in a Warm Sector, ahead of an approaching Cold Front, as can be seen on the Fax Chart for Midnight just gone, below:

image.thumb.png.626e1f0db1951f1bbbfa645269d06e40.png

Below, are Meteociel graphs showing readings from nearby London City Airport, about 6 miles due North of Lee, as the Crow flies .

It certainly felt "gloopy" overnight, with Temps hovering between 19c and 20c.

I was rudely awoken by a strong gust of wind at around 3.45 A.M., which rattled our Bedroom blinds and blew the curtains around, through the open Bedroom window. As you can see from the Vent [Wind] graph, the wind has been rising in the last few hours. Pressure has been gradually falling through the Overnight period, ahead of that advancing Cold Front.

image.thumb.png.f860261cfc30b4f5776b6793486b2de3.png image.thumb.png.4ff780bc87e66c83063f657d3505b5a0.png /  image.thumb.png.87fb84037db3bbbbf41b342c3b7e5c77.png

As can be seen on the Meteociel chart below, "Pluie Faible" has been entering our Region, from the N.W.:

image.thumb.png.c062381ca8db220ded02377f1d22a195.png 

I seem to remember mentioning in the last few Years how we seem to be acquiring a Mediterranean type situation, with regard to the incidences of Thunder in our Region, during the Summer Months.

Having had an Italian Mum [R.I.P.], I'm fully conversant with Italian Weather during the Summer Months.

I've been amazed, although being Brontophobic by nature very pleased, at the lack of Thunder events in our Region, for about the past Five Summers. Just as happens in Italy, Thunder events have seemed to come during the transition from Spring to Summer and from Summer to Autumn, as happened in our Region last Summer.

Summers in Southern Italy tend to be hot and dry but with T/Storms forming along the spine of the narrow Italian Peninsular, where Sea Breezes from the Adriatic and Mediterranean, converge.

Then, whichever is the strongest out of those Sea Breezes, the Thundery activity will then transfer to either the Eastern or Western Plain, either side of the Apennine Mountain range, between the Mountain and the Adriatic/;Mediterranean. 

Have seen that scenario played out a few times, when holidaying with my Italian relatives.

Regarding this Summer over here, I experienced a few Thunder events in May but since then, I don't think we've had much at all.

This is far removed to what I remember back as a Child/Teenager, back in the 1960's/'70's. 

Back then, you could guarantee at least one very notable Thunder event, every Summer.

In fact it was a ferocious all Night Thunder event, that really triggered my Brontophobia back when I was Ten.

Speaking of my Italian Mum, it was her who unwittingly implanted the fear of Lightning/Thunder in me.

When Mum saw a flash of Lightning she would make the "Sign of the Cross" and call on Santa Barbara, the Patron Saint of Lightning and Storms in general, in Italy.

Back in early June 1966, Mum was a local Maternity Unit and about to give birth, to my youngest Sister and I was left in the care of my Father. 

I can vividly remember that Friday Night of that, ferocious Brontophobia inducing Thunder event.

During the late Morning of Friday 10th June, we'd had a Games lesson at School and experienced a sudden heavy Shower, of very warm Rain. After School I can remember playing Football in a local Park and at one point looked up at the Sky and saw the shape of what looked line giant Bears, forming in the Sky. Perhaps these were Thunder heads, developing from Altocumulus Castellanus?

All hell broke lose at around Midnight that Night and the Thunder as still rumbling around at around 6 A.M.

Our local "rag" the Bromley & Kentish Times spoke of Three T/Storms "clashing" over Bromley, that Night. 

That has all the hallmarks of an M.C.S, having visited Bromley, that Night.

Below, is the archived Synoptic chart for Midnight June 10th, 1966:

image.thumb.png.36796e85b35b9ccce812f9444276336d.png

Looks pretty primed for a major Thundery breakdown, doesn't it? I'm sure those Thunder lovers out there would've loved this event, which was more than can be said, for Yours Truly. 

Dad wasn't much of a help either and made me feel very uncomfortable about my frightened state, at one point calling me a "Sissy".

I'd often thought it was Dad that had caused my fear of Lightning/Thunder and it wasn't until a few Years ago, that it was Mum's reaction to Lightning, that had instilled the Brontophobia in me.   

Back to the here and now. The Cold Front seems to have gone through and the Sun is starting to come out again.

Being a fully paid up member of Dami's "Heat Hater's" Club, I'm hoping that we've seen the "worst" of the heat, this Summer.

Synoptically, it has been a bit different to last Summer.

Last Year, June started on a relatively cool note, with High Pressure anchored close to the Azores, allowing an Atlantic influence to the flow, resulting in a coolish Westerly wind. It wasn't until very late in June, July and August, that High Pressure started to transfer N.E. and eventually settled to the East of the U.K., resulting in those July/August heatwaves of 2022.

As we are aware, this June as a record breaking Month, temperature wise.

For those  Members who like to get a comfortable Night's sleep, the Met Office Forecast for Tonight, will be music to their ears!!   

Tonight:

Showers quickly fading during the evening, leaving most places dry with clear spells, however some showers will linger across the north and west. Feeling a little fresher than Monday night.

But with still close to Seven Weeks of official Meteorological Summer still left, I won't be celebrating just yet, from my stance as a "Heat-Hater" and a Brontophobe!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Well for now at least, the cold front is just cloud, no rain on it here at all.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Well for now at least, the cold front is just cloud, no rain on it here at all.

No rain here either, but got woken by gusts of wind last night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather

Amazingly, half way through the year the SE is 106% to average rainfall. July is nearly 50% already with lots more rain to come.

This will be one very wet year if we keep going like this.

Edited by all weather

Posted

Looks like rain will finally be coming along now, in the form of showers,unless they also die 

Posted
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Looks like rain will finally be coming along now, in the form of showers,unless they also die 

Light rain here now

Posted
34 minutes ago, Harry's House said:

Light rain here now

Lots of activity on the radar - zero falling from the sky here...

Posted
4 hours ago, all weather said:

Amazingly, half way through the year the SE is 106% to average rainfall. July is nearly 50% already with lots more rain to come.

This will be one very wet year if we keep going like this.

Dig an inch deep its dust ..or as hard as  iron ..well imby ish and mostly se London..se is a  big area fella  ..all or nothing and tbh I've had nothing to speak of 

And there's another batch of showers obviously connected to the a trough..front or something leaving nw France but so much ne push they gonna fly past south of me ..he says 🙄 

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather
27 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Dig an inch deep its dust ..or as hard as  iron ..well imby ish and mostly se London..se is a  big area fella  ..all or nothing and tbh I've had nothing to speak of 

And there's another batch of showers obviously connected to the a trough..front or something leaving nw France but so much ne push they gonna fly past south of me ..he says 🙄 

Yeh these differences are normal. Some places would have seen 200% while others 25%. Just going by how the big boys do their stats.

We have had tons of rain here in SM6, ground still firm, but we are in summer.

As an island in a direct hit of the jet we will never regularly go into a drought unless the water companies keep failing us.

Edited by all weather

Posted
4 hours ago, all weather said:

Yeh these differences are normal. Some places would have seen 200% while others 25%. Just going by how the big boys do their stats.

We have had tons of rain here in SM6, ground still firm, but we are in summer.

As an island in a direct hit of the jet we will never regularly go into a drought unless the water companies keep failing us.

Big boys always take an average ...like warmest June warmest this warmest that...not a patch on last years temps is it 🤔 or are we all looking for 40c now ..32 33c nothing now is it ..its summer ..but where I am  its dry ..and its rained hard dont get me wrong ...but not what we or I would call wet ...and not wild fire dry but  ...sort of nothing .. 😞