Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted

19.4C the high for us today with warm sunshine, blue sky and calm conditions. Like a summer's day on the South Downs - what an amazing contrast with what's happening in other parts of the UK today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
Just now, Stroudley said:

19.4C the high for us today with warm sunshine, blue sky and calm conditions. Like a summer's day on the South Downs - what an amazing contrast with what's happening in other parts of the UK today. 

Yes it was lovely once last night rain finally cleared which from here was about 1pm if I remember right.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

I've just posted this in the Storm Babet thread:

Here's Storm Babet's nation-wide rainfall totals so far - as calculated by the Netweather V8 Hi Res radar. The chart shows the rainfall accumulation for the period Mon 16th Oct through to Fri 20th and as there was negligible rainfall on Mon and Tues - before the storm arrived - it's a good estimate of the rainfall resulting from the storm.

HiResRadarrainfall16-20Oct23.thumb.png.70261fbae5e9964bac99558561dbb4dd.png

Extensive flooding here in Hadleigh with the River Brett bursting its banks in multiple locations. The Met Office station at Wattisham has recorded 78mm (3 inches) of rain arising from the storm and from the radar accumulations I can see it was probably more than that in the upstream catchment area for the river. I spent Thurs helping a friend fill sandbags and put up his flood barrier, but he's sent me a short text this morning to say his house flooded at 02.00 this morning. 🙁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Three fine days and a thunderstorm

That really highlights what an impactful amount of rainfall large areas of the UK has seen.

It just goes to show that even when you prepare we often get caught out, especially here in East Anglia when events like this can be decades apart, and towns and villages have expanded on natural run offs etc.

I hope anyone affected has a swift recovery.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here's an update of the situation in East Anglia, courtesy of Dan Holley, Weatherquest:

An extraordinary day, with many areas receiving more than a month's worth of rain in 24 hours. Thetford was the wettest location, with 87mm. Gauges on the River Ore (Framlingham) and Deben recorded their highest levels on record (since 2000/1).

EARainfalltotals19-20Oct23.thumb.jpg.99367ebe48ccb4a20ca5fe6699814a1e.jpg

Multiple river gauges in #Suffolk have set new records for water levels over the past 24 hours. On this basis, #StormBabet appears to be the worst flooding in parts of Suffolk for several decades at least, in some cases for more than 35 years.

River level records:

EARiverwaterlevelrecordsbroken.thumb.jpg.5b4fcc08557cd453346b74047673a748.jpg

Source: Dan Holley, X @danholley_

• Thanks 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

seems pretty wet out there today accompanied by wind this time  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I am a little surprised to have got over 60mm of rain over the last day or so. Seems that on the whole the Peterborough area coped fairly well, there was some localised areas with high water level but they were all placed where this is allowed to happen to spare other areas. 
It has been a strange Autumn. A lot of warm and dry weather, but we have also seen some very wet days and of course a rather early frost for the time of year.

Awful conditions over Suffolk though, we certainly don’t want a westerly dominated winter given our starting point in regards to water levels.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I am a little surprised to have got over 60mm of rain over the last day or so. Seems that on the whole the Peterborough area coped fairly well, there was some localised areas with high water level but they were all placed where this is allowed to happen to spare other areas. 
It has been a strange Autumn. A lot of warm and dry weather, but we have also seen some very wet days and of course a rather early frost for the time of year.

Awful conditions over Suffolk though, we certainly don’t want a westerly dominated winter given our starting point in regards to water levels.

Certainly don't want a winter like 2013/14.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

One of the wettest weeks for a very long time, it's relentless even in Kent!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Any idea what this was on BBC Weather today? 20vtmacd
An error, the name of someone who took the photo... some weather thing I don't know about?

Screenshot2023-10-21at19_30_57.thumb.png.898927404865703b378fc2d5e8d80e12.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
3 hours ago, moogyboobles said:

Any idea what this was on BBC Weather today? 20vtmacd
An error, the name of someone who took the photo... some weather thing I don't know about?

Screenshot2023-10-21at19_30_57.thumb.png.898927404865703b378fc2d5e8d80e12.png

Just a username of someone that messaged the Beeb in my opinion, reporting rainfall amounts perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

The more I read, the more I am surprised that a heavier warning was not issued for Suffolk and similarly affected area. Many significant floods, both from rivers and from overflowing ditches and fields (in my immediate area). We are fortunate there was no wind on top of the heavy and persistent rain, with the trees still in leaf. Blessed Weather helping his friend living right near the river, I can relate to that. I spent 14 years right near the river it in the same town, down a lane where the river flooded the meadows. I remember a few nights of going outside every hour or so, monitoring the rising water, ready to either start taking items upstairs and finally readying my car to get out before the waters got too far. Thankfully the waters never got that high. Maybe my house was built with knowledge that the meadows would do their work. Maybe they controlled it just enough via the weirs and sluice gates nearby. House and contents insurance though, being on the floodplain, despite never actually being flooded, was horrendous. But I do know that even with no rain after the main event, the threat still exists, and doesn't subside quickly, so your friend will still have the floods for few days yet. I do hope there is not too much damage or health issues as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just catching up after a week away in Cyprus. And what a week it has been for everyone here, from frost, zero degrees and, I understand snow, to warm, clear, autumn days and now really terrible flooding. After a difficult week in Cyprus (elderly mother-in-law, who lives there, had a fall on day two, broke her pelvis and it's been a nightmare ever since), I was oblivious, as we wandered around Limassol yesterday in 30 degrees, that we would be driving home from Heathrow last night through flooded roads. Anyway, stay well everyone. It looks like less swings in the autum fayre next week with cloud, thunder if we're lucky and more rain, hopefully not enough to top up already flooded areas.

And here's a pic of yesterday morning's Cyprus sunrise. 

Could contain:

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted

Well the dry break is over here, heavy shower just came up from the south, looks like some more following too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Found these long back in time images from 30th December 1908. The location is Arundel , West Sussex. Looks like a classic "Beast from the East " for the Southeast.

C

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted

Looks to me like it'll be raining in a out 3-4 hours from the south, thought it was meant to be dry till tomorrow.

Posted
20 hours ago, Reefseeker said:

Just catching up after a week away in Cyprus. And what a week it has been for everyone here, from frost, zero degrees and, I understand snow, to warm, clear, autumn days and now really terrible flooding. After a difficult week in Cyprus (elderly mother-in-law, who lives there, had a fall on day two, broke her pelvis and it's been a nightmare ever since), I was oblivious, as we wandered around Limassol yesterday in 30 degrees, that we would be driving home from Heathrow last night through flooded roads. Anyway, stay well everyone. It looks like less swings in the autum fayre next week with cloud, thunder if we're lucky and more rain, hopefully not enough to top up already flooded areas. ....

My only memory of Cyprus was the snowy scenes. Although i was working up the top of Troodos at the time 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

My only memory of Cyprus was the snowy scenes. Although i was working up the top of Troodos at the time 🙂 

Ah yes, I remember, the big white balls... missus:) We can see the top of Troodos and the military places, plus when it's snow-covered, from our house; the snow line sometimes reaches the valley opposite us in the depths of winter. I  suspect the half-term holidaymakers are having a lovely week of heat and sunshine at the moment over there.

And to keep on-topic, a cloudy day here, early-mid teens temperature-wise.

Posted

Very odd spots of rain here. I have just finished mowing my back lawn, possibly for the last time this year.

Posted
1 hour ago, Harry's House said:

Very odd spots of rain here. I have just finished mowing my back lawn, possibly for the last time this year.

It's proper raining here now.