Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Been a few gusts round here already that have caught me a bit off guard, sign of what's to come I suppose.

Manston's up to 57 mph. It'll be up to above 70 by Friday.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

we lived at the top of Stanmore lane opposite Minden way. It didn't half rattle around the houses in all storms up there!

I was down the road in stuart crescent , the rec lost its massive conifer Mum still lives there and all of my friends 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
49 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Have been up to the top of one, never again lol, ours round here are limited in height due to the proximity to RAF staxton wold, most farm based ones lock out when the wind exceed a certain speed to protect the gearbox and internal drive,

They all disengage at relatively low wind speeds, even the offshore monsters 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
22 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Indeed, surely the risk to millions of people of disruption, damage to property, risk of injury, even life deserves more air time and is more important than shady goings on in the Royal Family. 

On saying that both itv weather forecasts, local and national, gave specific mention to this, but yes I think more should be said. We'll see tomorrow. To be honest though, many are not really watching news anymore, is there another way to get the message across. I've a strange feeling there might be some sort of announcement, but even that will either be missed or ignored unfortunately, I think.

26 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I have chickens LOL! Their run might go ...

Just get it as secure as possible. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I was only 6 and probably slept through the whole thing! LOL

I wish I did, all I remember was a roar and flashing, lots and lots of flashing, no thunder, though, and one of the flashes hit my window.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Yes, I do as well.  According to the local Farcebook page there is at least one tree down and numbers of  huge branches strewn across roads in Penn. 

Max gust today for my location

D1033FC6-3139-42A7-AC82-FC68B8E59003.jpeg

Edited by phil b

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
15 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Finally some interesting weather, this winter so far has been rubbish, not even a flake of snow. 

Don't know why people in a weather enthusiasts forum are complaining  about incoming severe weather, isn't that what you are hoping to see  and these events are rare anyway. 

Look at all the storm chasing tornado videos on you tube way more dangerous and severe than anything in UK  you can even go on tornado chasing holiday, heaven forbid! 

This, I wish we were getting it up here. It's been 10 years since there has been anything 80+ in the central belt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Getting slightly worried now. We’ve already had some very brief power cuts from a squall earlier from current storm Dudley, and a number of trees down from this! I’d say gusts touched 50+mph, but even that earlier was bordering on scary. Be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 2

Posted

I live in North Wales, my local weather station (5 miles up the road) has recorded gusts of up to 81mph this evening from Storm Dudley, my lights have been flickering, it’s been howling and my letter box has blown in a couple of time yet the unstrapped trampoline and garden furniture are still in situ in my garden, am I missing something when people say 60mph winds are life threatening or is North wales just used to this type of weather and have created properties etc to withstand this type of weather, garden’s being bigger so moving furniture being less of an issue etc? 
I’m new to meteorology especially storms so please tell me if gusts are different to wind speeds etc I want to learn.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sionzzz said:

I live in North Wales, my local weather station (5 miles up the road) has recorded gusts of up to 81mph this evening from Storm Dudley, my lights have been flickering, it’s been howling and my letter box has blown in a couple of time yet the unstrapped trampoline and garden furniture are still in situ in my garden, am I missing something when people say 60mph winds are life threatening or is North wales just used to this type of weather and have created properties etc to withstand this type of weather, garden’s being bigger so moving furniture being less of an issue etc? 
I’m new to meteorology especially storms so please tell me if gusts are different to wind speeds etc I want to learn.

60mph is usually "fine" in most areas during the winter, definitely risk of flying objects injuring people and damaging property, but generally no where near as big of a risk as Eunice will be giving, considering the 70-80mph inland gusts potential. Areas that typically see higher wind speeds (which North Wales does) usually have stronger trees, as any other trees that aren't strong enough to withstand the winds will have already fallen over a long time ago, areas usually more central and south to the country will have had less powerful windstorms to knock down these weaker trees, so when a strong storm comes through, the risk of trees falling becomes much higher and a danger. This also applies to anything built not particularly well, or at least badly maintained; usually roof tiles, fences and occasionally thin walls.

Transport in general also becomes an issue with debris that could potentially derail trains or cause car crashes, this becomes especially a problem for storms that happen during the day.

When people say a storm is dangerous/damaging/life threatening, these are the things people are usually talking about.

Also how you've managed to get a 81mph wind gust without the trampoline moving is however very impressive, we saw winds push a trampoline onto train tracks earlier today, your trampoline could've easily done the same in the right circumstances, probably should tie it down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Porto said:

60mph is usually "fine" in most areas during the winter, definitely risk of flying objects injuring people and damaging property, but generally no where near as big of a risk as Eunice will be giving, considering the 70-80mph inland gusts potential. Areas that typically see higher wind speeds (which North Wales does) usually have stronger trees, as any other trees that aren't strong enough to withstand the winds will have already fallen over a long time ago, areas usually more central and south to the country will have had less powerful windstorms to knock down these weaker trees, so when a strong storm comes through, the risk of trees falling becomes much higher and a danger. This also applies to anything built not particularly well, or at least badly maintained; usually roof tiles, fences and occasionally thin walls.

Transport in general also becomes an issue with debris that could potentially derail trains or cause car crashes, this becomes especially a problem for storms that happen during the day.

When people say a storm is dangerous/damaging/life threatening, these are the things people are usually talking about.

Also how you've managed to get a 81mph wind gust without the trampoline moving is however very impressive, we saw winds push a trampoline onto train tracks earlier today, your trampoline could've easily done the same in the right circumstances, probably should tie it down.

Really appreciate your explanation, makes sense thanks.

My garden backs onto the gwydir forest (one of the large forests in north wales) and a lot of trees went down during Storm Arwen (I’ve never seen so many fallen trees in my life time) , I was told by snowdonia park wardens and local tree surgeons this was due to the unusual direction of the wind rather than the actual strength, apparently it hit the trees at their weak point. 

I plan to pin the trampoline down tomorrow just incase and move the furniture into the shed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Blowing a hoolie here in Prague, the noise woke me up and can’t sleep now, frequent and really loud gusts. 
Eunice looking either thrilling or terrifying (depending on preferences), keep safe everyone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

0z GFS nudges the track south again to fall in line with UKV. The Southwest and south, especially south coast, are in the firing line for severe conditions. Whoever it was who said that storms always track north (they don't) and that it would be barely a whisper in Dorset may be in for a surprise.

Has to be a Red Warning for this.

1438026718_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_49_16.thumb.png.dbb2f3c658effb58d5d36468226322b7.png1538458932_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_49_31.thumb.png.a128ce13d66fb5b4d83a6b6c42a7e3f9.png517406299_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_49_44.thumb.png.76c35ac799eb74db737f4b3ced985d21.png

959260241_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_12.thumb.png.7d2248a8b0997c6e1ce026ca4281cddf.png965851605_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_19.thumb.png.194a998e48667ecc7238bea1b068f200.png1205081054_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_29.thumb.png.4ddeac55782cef57afc5ebbb0548ae38.png611981164_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_37.thumb.png.d5ecb4e91755eaf884f7c176b492bb9b.png1691230107_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_45.thumb.png.42816a3a2e0f49f34e6e67646209d57b.png1455335960_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_50_54.thumb.png.faf1163966875cdaba356f1c411b808a.png933559603_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_05.thumb.png.7ced07cdc492054e5a8b3008dd4e7911.png1585351276_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_14.thumb.png.6c7c3e166ac110d62a455e38015d15f8.png438658087_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_24.thumb.png.05a72c4eb40ddffc12eb5bbb5287a165.png884163086_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_37.thumb.png.d115e31112c819a4f714251049cb10c0.png574424992_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_43.thumb.png.2c71a58f76b64392888ba2f76dab21dd.png618289404_Screenshot2022-02-17at04_51_56.thumb.png.6faf2063687abb3e216d4a038e10fb17.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Scott Ingham said:

Also a shift north from 12z

But 0z GFS follows UKV in a more southerly track.

We shouldn't really be surprised that the tracking varies in a storm which is only forming now. You'd be a brave person to bet against the UK Met Office at this short range.

Posted
2 hours ago, Sionzzz said:

Really appreciate your explanation, makes sense thanks.

My garden backs onto the gwydir forest (one of the large forests in north wales) and a lot of trees went down during Storm Arwen (I’ve never seen so many fallen trees in my life time) , I was told by snowdonia park wardens and local tree surgeons this was due to the unusual direction of the wind rather than the actual strength, apparently it hit the trees at their weak point. 

I plan to pin the trampoline down tomorrow just incase and move the furniture into the shed.

it is worth referencing that the said gust is for a fairly exposed location in Capel Curig.  It is a fair bit higher than Betws y Coed, but gusts there (and rainfall totals) are always accentuated by the local relief.  I would imagine in Betws that gusts are at least 20mph less than Capel.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Same here, as I said it's always happens down here.

There is no meteorological foundation for a suggestion that lows always track further north and, specifically with regards to tomorrow it is misleading and wrong.

The overnight runs have a slightly more southerly track: see the charts I've posted. Cornwall is certainly right in the firing line.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Same here, as I said it's always happens down here.

Your post is ageing well?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
7 hours ago, SizzlingHeat said:

GFS creeps north *again* surprise surprise.

At this rate it will be an ordinary windy day on the Dorset coast. *Yawn*

Ordinary Windy day???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Morning all. I've woken up expecting to see slight downgrades in the severity of this storm but still it's looking very nasty indeed. I fully expect to see red warnings going up today for many parts of south Wales and southern England.

Living close to the Bristol channel tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least and I'll maybe see the strongest winds I've seen since the great storm of 87.

After a winter of very bland weather down here please don't shoot me down when I say I'm rather looking forward to the experience. 

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by John88B
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, moorlander said:

i have found the lack of interest in the upcoming storm from uk news agencies very odd, they have not got a clue whats about to happen more interested in Royal family issues

I keep telling my family how bad its going to be and i think they think i am banging on about nothing. Hardly anything on the news. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1