Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 2018 start of long warm spell

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Summer8906 yes one of my favourite summers and wasn't too dissimilar to 2018 but obviously not as hot.

2014 had a lot more thunder here in north Hampshire including 2 night time storms in a row (17/18 and 18/19 july), one of the best on 13/14 June and the ex storm on 10th August had significant thunder.

June was consistently sunny and warm but never hot, I don't think 27C was hit anywhere in the month but 24-25C was quite frequently reached somewhere in the UK.  The short unsettled spells were thundery too.  

July was great too with a very warm to hot week/10days from 17th to 26th.  One of my favourite summer months.  In fact going further back June and July 2014were a bit like june and july 1994.

I always felt August was exceptionally poor but am sometimes guilty of forgetting despite a very cool 2nd half it was reasonably sunny.  

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
4 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

always felt August was exceptionally poor but am sometimes guilty of forgetting despite a very cool 2nd half it was reasonably sunny.  

That's the thing, it seemed particularly bad at the time because it was such a come-down on June and July. But taken against some of the other unsettled Augusts it really wasn't so bad, due, as you say, to the moderately sunny nature of the cool spell. I'd say the following year, 2015, was worse - basically constantly unsettled except the 7th-9th and 22nd, and generally cloudy and humid.

Controversially I'd also say August 2020 was worse than 2014, despite the ultra-humid heatwave - simply because the period from the 13th onwards was so shocking for August. Only the first half of August 2008 matches that in recent years for such dismal August weather.

Edited by Summer8906