Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

April 2018 start of long warm spell


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    After a topsy turvy March with cold and some warmth and a rather cool first half to April. I think it was around 19th indeed Easter when things changed markedly and we ushered in a very warm spell which by and large lasted right through until late July. A memorable 3 month spell of excellent weather. It was better I think than late March to late June 2020.

    Memories of that spell please. May 2018 was superb, May 20 almost carbon copy. 

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

    After a topsy turvy March with cold and some warmth and a rather cool first half to April. I think it was around 19th indeed Easter when things changed markedly and we ushered in a very warm spell which by and large lasted right through until late July. A memorable 3 month spell of excellent weather. It was better I think than late March to late June 2020.

    Memories of that spell please. May 2018 was superb, May 20 almost carbon copy. 

    Easter was in late March/early April that year. It was still cool and dull. 
     

    Easter 2019 was in the second or third week of april, and the weather was nice and warm.

    I remember having problems trying to paint the garden walls for a client in mid April, and the temps were still on the cold side, accompanied with damp conditions.

    The cold weather was still lingering more or less from the Feb snowy spell of 2018, and the early spring did have some more snowfall, although not the same amounts. We had snow flurries in mid March, and daytime temps were definitely in the single digits with a raw cold windchill.

    Early April was cold and dull, but around the third weekend I think it became warmer. From this point on, the dry sunny spell continued into May, and it became much warmer.

    Like you say, May 2018 and 2020 were exactly the same in terms of long spells of warm sunny days with cool nights. 
     

    The only difference is, May 2018 became more humid towards the end with thunderstorms on a Saturday night, and some more storms broke out during the late May holiday. 
     

    May 2020 was settled from start to finish if my memory serves me well. 
     

    June was another lovely month, nice and hot, and plenty of sunny days.

    July was also hot, although we had one or two weekends during the World Cup, where temps would drop to the low 20s and felt cool in the breeze, then would shoot back up to the high 20s by the following week.

    We also encountered a windy day at the beach in Eastbourne during July, and I was watching Spain getting knocked out by Russia in a penalty shootout. That day was around 30c in London, but think it was only 22-23c with the onshore breeze, which made it feel a bit uncomfortable in the wind. The beach was half empty that day, but the skies were clear.

    August was still hot and sunny until the second week, then it became dull. By that stage though, we had already experienced one of the sunniest summer spells ever, probably something to 1995 levels or even better, so wasn’t really complaining. I was kind of glad of the cool down, as the heat, despite it being dry at times, was still uncomfortable at night.

    A lovely summer, and this continued on and off during September and early October. Unfortunately, the following winter was a much milder affair.

    2018 was a classic year in my book, and Southgate took England to the Semis in the World Cup. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

    After a topsy turvy March with cold and some warmth and a rather cool first half to April. I think it was around 19th indeed Easter when things changed markedly and we ushered in a very warm spell which by and large lasted right through until late July. A memorable 3 month spell of excellent weather. It was better I think than late March to late June 2020.

    Memories of that spell please. May 2018 was superb, May 20 almost carbon copy. 

    Late March to early June 2020. The first week of June 2020 was still sunny and clear, but it became cloudier and unsettled with some storms I think during the day(correct me on that), as I was sitting at home during the first lockdown, and teams were split in two. The other team were in central London and mentioned the storms. I heard the distant rumblings, while in west London.

    I think this was June. 
     

    Late June ushered in a heatwave for a few days, and no storms showed up in the London area. July was dull until the last day.

    So yes, the 2018 sunny period was better, and it was placed in a better time of the year, starting in late April and finishing in early August. The main summer was really good, unlike 2020 where the spell had collapsed somewhat by mid June.

    I won’t knock 2020 too much, as June was still useable weather for cycling and walking even during those duller spells.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Sheffield/Manchester
  • Location: Sheffield/Manchester

    I remember snow falling on Easter Sunday (the 1st), can’t recall it settling and it did eventually turn to rain. Until the heatwave mid-month it was just almost constantly dull and pretty wet (though far from the deluges we had in March). The 5th was a day I recall as it was cloudless, though not that warm. After the heatwave it turned cold and wet here for a week before settling down in the opening days of May.

    May of course a classic! The fact that the two hot spells peaked during the two bank holiday weekends was a big bonus too. The storms at the end completely missed here, we just had to settle for a few rumbles of thunder.

    The first half of June I found pretty forgettable, albeit still warm and very dry. The second half very memorable once the heat kicked in. The one day that is etched in my memory is Sunday 24th, which was the first really hot day here (think the temp reached about 27C) and also the day of the England v Panama WC game. The World Cup definitely added to the enjoyment of the spell (as mentioned above), with the Colombia and Sweden games all being scorchers and the semi-finals/final cloudier and somewhat cooler.

    It turned very hot again about a week later and I know there was lots of talk of potentially record-breaking temps. We only reached 31C which is pretty standard for a summer heatwave up here, though we did get our only half decent storm all summer. July 2019 was obviously much more impressive for record breaking temps, despite being the poorer summer of the two. I was on holiday at the time but was constantly checking the weather app and saw that we’d hit 36C back home. Not sure what the official reading ended up being but it was certainly the warmest day on record in these parts.

    August let the side down but we still managed to wrangle a weeks heatwave at the start. It was still warm and pretty dry too, just quite dull and with a horrific Bank Holiday at the end. 

    Since then, 2019 was pretty decent (poor June but good July + August) 2020 I’d put just on the poor side (mixed bag June, very poor July bar the 31st, very good first half of August but meh second half, very good spring though) and 2021 I’d put just on the good pile (very dry and warm June particularly in the first half, warm and sunny July but a poor August) 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    1 hour ago, Lf1002 said:

    I remember snow falling on Easter Sunday (the 1st), can’t recall it settling and it did eventually turn to rain. Until the heatwave mid-month it was just almost constantly dull and pretty wet (though far from the deluges we had in March). The 5th was a day I recall as it was cloudless, though not that warm. After the heatwave it turned cold and wet here for a week before settling down in the opening days of May.

    May of course a classic! The fact that the two hot spells peaked during the two bank holiday weekends was a big bonus too. The storms at the end completely missed here, we just had to settle for a few rumbles of thunder.

    The first half of June I found pretty forgettable, albeit still warm and very dry. The second half very memorable once the heat kicked in. The one day that is etched in my memory is Sunday 24th, which was the first really hot day here (think the temp reached about 27C) and also the day of the England v Panama WC game. The World Cup definitely added to the enjoyment of the spell (as mentioned above), with the Colombia and Sweden games all being scorchers and the semi-finals/final cloudier and somewhat cooler.

    It turned very hot again about a week later and I know there was lots of talk of potentially record-breaking temps. We only reached 31C which is pretty standard for a summer heatwave up here, though we did get our only half decent storm all summer. July 2019 was obviously much more impressive for record breaking temps, despite being the poorer summer of the two. I was on holiday at the time but was constantly checking the weather app and saw that we’d hit 36C back home. Not sure what the official reading ended up being but it was certainly the warmest day on record in these parts.

    August let the side down but we still managed to wrangle a weeks heatwave at the start. It was still warm and pretty dry too, just quite dull and with a horrific Bank Holiday at the end. 

    Since then, 2019 was pretty decent (poor June but good July + August) 2020 I’d put just on the poor side (mixed bag June, very poor July bar the 31st, very good first half of August but meh second half, very good spring though) and 2021 I’d put just on the good pile (very dry and warm June particularly in the first half, warm and sunny July but a poor August) 

    I can’t remember August bank holiday 2018 for some reason. I remember late august bank holidays of 2017 and 2019 being hot and sunny with temps around 30c.

    2019 was a bit of a letdown I think. I didn’t really enjoy the hot spell in July that year, as it was mostly cloudy and humid around it, and we only had a few really nice sunny days.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Cheshire
  • Location: Cheshire

    The thing I remember about 2018 was the weather reflecting the seasons far more closely than in other years. Late winter included the incredibly cold spell with 'the Beast from the East'. On 2nd April, we had a huge thunderstorm in the evening on the N Yorkshire coast and this seemed to mark the transition to spring and summer which were generally warm/hot and sunny.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
    3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

    Easter was in late March/early April that year. It was still cool and dull. 
     

    Easter 2019 was in the second or third week of april, and the weather was nice and warm.

    I remember having problems trying to paint the garden walls for a client in mid April, and the temps were still on the cold side, accompanied with damp conditions.

    The cold weather was still lingering more or less from the Feb snowy spell of 2018, and the early spring did have some more snowfall, although not the same amounts. We had snow flurries in mid March, and daytime temps were definitely in the single digits with a raw cold windchill.

    Early April was cold and dull, but around the third weekend I think it became warmer. From this point on, the dry sunny spell continued into May, and it became much warmer.

    Like you say, May 2018 and 2020 were exactly the same in terms of long spells of warm sunny days with cool nights. 
     

    The only difference is, May 2018 became more humid towards the end with thunderstorms on a Saturday night, and some more storms broke out during the late May holiday. 
     

    May 2020 was settled from start to finish if my memory serves me well. 
     

    June was another lovely month, nice and hot, and plenty of sunny days.

    July was also hot, although we had one or two weekends during the World Cup, where temps would drop to the low 20s and felt cool in the breeze, then would shoot back up to the high 20s by the following week.

    We also encountered a windy day at the beach in Eastbourne during July, and I was watching Spain getting knocked out by Russia in a penalty shootout. That day was around 30c in London, but think it was only 22-23c with the onshore breeze, which made it feel a bit uncomfortable in the wind. The beach was half empty that day, but the skies were clear.

    August was still hot and sunny until the second week, then it became dull. By that stage though, we had already experienced one of the sunniest summer spells ever, probably something to 1995 levels or even better, so wasn’t really complaining. I was kind of glad of the cool down, as the heat, despite it being dry at times, was still uncomfortable at night.

    A lovely summer, and this continued on and off during September and early October. Unfortunately, the following winter was a much milder affair.

    2018 was a classic year in my book, and Southgate took England to the Semis in the World Cup. 

    Oh yes mixed up 2018 Easter and 2019.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Islington
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing cold snowy winters & unsettled summers.
  • Location: Islington

    I remember this period very well. After the cold and wintry spells throughout February and March, it began to take its toll by the end of the latter month. The 21st of March I recall being a sunny day but after that it was generally dull, cold and wet throughout the next 2-3 weeks. The 30th of March brought an absolute deluge of rain. Easter I recall being yet another cold, grey, raw day. I think the 5th was a sunny and bright day, but it returned back to cold and dull the next day, I think. I remember model watching at the time and seeing the big warm spell slowly creep up in the models.

    Up until the 16th that month was going down as one of my least favourite Aprils on record - bear in mind in my area there was barely any vegetation. I remember vividly people talking about how grim the year's weather had been. Then out of nowhere came that warm spell. Such a beautiful day, but it was odd experiencing it with no leaves on the trees or anything - they quickly bursted into leaf in the coming days.

    What I remember much more vividly is the storms of the 21st of April - we didn't get any here but seeing people's posts and radar watching, I think Ports/S'ham area got a battering. I rememeber watching a video of the insane rainfall. They were next level storms for April. The only rain we got was a decaying storm that quickly died out and brought us 5 minutes of light rain as temperatures fell to about 4-5degC - one thing about that spell was that nights remained chilly.

    Then the rest of April reverted to changeable and quite grim. I remember very well the Nor'easter style low pressure that wrapped around us on the 29th into the 30th. People were saying at the time it could bring a late snowstorm but in the end it just brought copious amounts of heavy, driving rain for about 24 hours. At that point I believed the warm spell was a fluke and that the "true nature" of 2018 was here to stay. I was wrong!

    Early May was cool and unsettled but it quickly turned very warm, dry and sunny for the Early May Bank Holiday. From that point it never really let up. Despite that, it wasn't running overly hot until the latter part of the month. I remember the 20th being a beautiful morning as I was out early hiking and the temperature was only around 5degC but the beautiful sunshine was beaming down on this field with low cloud/fog at the surface, etched into my mind that is.

    Then came the torrential and frequent storms that lasted from the 24th to the 1st of June. We managed to get a number of thunderstorms late on the 27th into the 28th of May. I remember looking up at the night sky and seeing the clouds build almost in fast time and lightning jumping through the sky. We actually got hit more on the 29th - that day had repeated bursts of thundery rain throughout the morning and afternoon, with local flooding. That was to be the last rain for about two months.

    June started very foggy and cool on the 1st due to the remnants of thunderstorms, but it quickly got better. The first-half of June isn't that memorable, I more remember the glorious spell of weather in late-June that brought unbroken sunshine, dry heat and perfect summer weather. Because it occured in max sunshine hours it truly felt like peak summer, I can imagine this is how June 1995 must have felt.

    July was much the same. I don't remember ever feeling uncomfortably hot, bar perhaps the 27th when it reached 33-35degC locally, otherwise much of the month was just repeated sunshine and almost no rainfall at all. I do remember radar watching some storms around the 4th which were extremely localised, but nothing like that happened here. We saw a few short sharp showers into the 28th but most of them missed us. I remember the 29th sticking out like a sore thumb, it was the only day that month which was grey, cool and cloudy. The heat returned the next day.

    August was a funny one, hot and dry for the first week then the summer ended early. August 2018 must be the most thundery month I can remember though, as from the 6th to the 11th each day we had at least one thunderstorm of varying severity. The 6th and 7th had a few storms as the heat dissipated. The 8th and 9th saw more organised torrential thundery rain move through. The 10th was the most memorable though. By that point we were far away from any heat - IIRC it was cool by this point - there were masses of torrential thunderstorms that blew in from the west throughout the afternoon. We had a severe thunderstorm roll in during the late afternoon. After the absolute drought in June and July, early-August made up for it. The 11th saw more storms but they were more isolated and by the 12th the summer was over, in my opinion.

    All I remember after that was a few decent afternoons before it turned cold in the final days of August, particularly the 29th which was a very cool day. I was ill with one of the worst colds I've ever had at the time so it sticks out. 

    Apart from a warm spell or two the summer didn't continue into September, it was only the brief warm spell around the 9th of October that constituted as an Indian Summer I believe. Final days of October were very cold.

    Weatherwise I far preffered April and May of 2020, less muggy and more thoroughly sunny.

    Edited by LetItSnow!
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: North Leeds
  • Location: North Leeds

    Definitely the best summer I can remember. April actually started with snow on Easter Monday and the first few weeks were cold and wet. It literally turned on it’s head on the third weekend when the heat came from nowhere. We had a storm pass over on the Saturday night when I was on a night shift. The last week or so the weather turned poor again.

    The heat came back again for the first May bank holiday and stayed for the rest of the month pretty much. Both Bank holidays were record breaking for the heat, I was in Whitby for the first one and it was glorious. 

    June continued the warm settled weather, I only recall it raining once, a heavy shower on the first weekend of the World Cup. The heat really ramped up around the time England played Panama.

    I spent 3 weeks of the summer abroad but the heat lasted pretty much until early August. I remember some pretty intense storms at the peak of the heat at the end July, I was due to fly to Portugal and was worried my flight would be effected, luckily the storm missed.

    After the first week of August the heat disappeared and it it turned into a typical modern August. Still a truly fantastic period. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire

    I was in Exeter in 2018.  Unusually, Exeter got a couple of dumpings of snow from the two easterlies in late February and March, as well as a bit of sleet mixed with rain at the beginning of April.  April was warm but often cloudy and wet.  Then May was generally warm and sunny - I remember the two hottest and sunniest spells indeed coincided exactly with the Bank Holidays as others have mentioned.

    In June 2018, Exeter Airport recorded no measurable rain, and I remember experiencing just a couple of showers which didn't really wet the ground.  Intriguingly, the Junes of 1976, 1995 and 2018 all had a similar sunshine distribution.  Even though the synoptic patterns were different (south-westerlies in early June 1976, northerlies in early June 1995, weak high pressure in early June 2018), all three months were cloudy for much of the country until the 20th, and then very sunny in the last third of the month.  Exeter had 85 hours of sunshine on 1-20 June 2018 and nearly 150 hours on the 21st-30th.

    Hot sunny weather set in towards the end of June and persisted well into early July, perhaps a watered down version of the pattern that we had in late June/early July 1976.  However for me Summer 2018 peaked in the period May to July, rather than in the three main summer months.  August was fairly dry and warm but much cloudier.  Nonetheless, I think of 2018 as the nearest approach to a 1976/1995 style summer that we've had since the turn of the century, edging out 2003 and 2006.

     

     

    Edited by Thundery wintry showers
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
    1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

    I was in Exeter in 2018.  Unusually, Exeter got a couple of dumpings of snow from the two easterlies in late February and March, as well as a bit of sleet mixed with rain at the beginning of April.  April was warm but often cloudy and wet.  Then May was generally warm and sunny - I remember the two hottest and sunniest spells indeed coincided exactly with the Bank Holidays as others have mentioned.

    In June 2018, Exeter Airport recorded no measurable rain, and I remember experiencing just a couple of showers which didn't really wet the ground.  Intriguingly, the Junes of 1976, 1995 and 2018 all had a similar sunshine distribution.  Even though the synoptic patterns were different (south-westerlies in early June 1976, northerlies in early June 1995, weak high pressure in early June 2018), all three months were cloudy for much of the country until the 20th, and then very sunny in the last third of the month.  Exeter had 85 hours of sunshine on 1-20 June 2018 and nearly 150 hours on the 21st-30th.

    Hot sunny weather set in towards the end of June and persisted well into early July, perhaps a watered down version of the pattern that we had in late June/early July 1976.  However for me Summer 2018 peaked in the period May to July, rather than in the three main summer months.  August was fairly dry and warm but much cloudier.  Nonetheless, I think of 2018 as the nearest approach to a 1976/1995 style summer that we've had since the turn of the century, edging out 2003 and 2006.

     

     

    Despite August being quite poor here.. given how excellent May was it felt like a full 3 month summer

     Definitely the best summery period since late June to late August 1995.

    I'd rank June- July 2006 3rd place, followed by April- June 20 and June- Aug 03.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    • 3 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Location: Hampshire
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
  • Location: Hampshire
    Posted (edited)

    I would generally agree with many of the sentiments here.

    April I would rate overall as cool and cloudy, and overall, the only poor April in the decade 2013-22. However we did get this "fluke" warm spell out of nowhere, I remember Sun 15th starting damp due to an Atlantic system, but then it cleared mid afternoon. After that the Monday was about average for mid April but it gradually got a bit warmer each day and some places reached 27; 25C+ temps were formerly very high for April but have been seen on several occasions in the past 15 years or so (2003, 2007 and 2011 as well, I think?)

    The Saturday (21st) was then very humid with much Ac Cast. Here in south Hampshire, though, we then got a truly severe thunderstorm during the evening. As it approached it was very dark to the south, the event was almost a carbon copy of the July 2017 event a few months earlier. Then during the late evening it was a prolonged and incredibly severe storm, with frequent lightning and torrential rain - the equal of just about any UK summer thunderstorm I've ever experienced. To get it so early in the year was extaordinary - almost like lying snow on October 21st.

    It then became cooler but still dry on the 22nd - unlike many summer thunderstorms there was a clean clearance and no residual low cloud the following day. Then it turned cool and showery for the last week; here we were on the edge of the above-mentioned low pressure system for the final weekend of the month so it was merely very cool, cloudy and slightly damp rather than very wet.

    As for the summer, well it was an exceptional May-June-July but as August was changeable, meteorological summer wasn't quite as good as 1983, 1989 or 1995, for example. Perhaps not even as good as 2006 (which showed a similar pattern of deterioration in August) as June 2018 was less sunny than June 2006. Perhaps it would have been the equal of 1976 if it had occurred one month later. I would also agree with comments about the first half of June being unexceptional: here it was mostly cloudy with average temps, albeit very dry.

    If I were to rate the summers I remember (I was alive in 1976 but don't remember it, so it's omitted) the top 10 would be, probably (in this order):

    1995-1989-1983-2006-2003-2018-1994-1990-1984-1991.

    The top 10 of my lifetime, relying on third party accounts, would also include 1976 (in 1st place) and 1975 (probably just below 2006).

     

     

     

    Edited by Summer8906
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...