Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Davis colour-screen console

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

So I took the plunge and bought this new fangled Davis WeatherLink console which arrived yesterday. Whilst I haven’t gone into every file folder or graph as yet, I just thought I’d let you know my personal opinion of it. 
Firstly, the main reason I wanted it was really to be able to view all the basic info from across the room which I couldn’t do with the old console you get with a Vantage Vue. For this purpose it does the job splendidly. A surprisingly large screen, easy to read, configure and set up, with a choice of what you want to see on the screen. You have a choice of 2x2 panels or 2x3 panels to view. Obviously the 2x2 panels are larger and easy to see from a distance but less info on show. 2x3 panels are what I’ve got it set to to maximise the info available as it’s still very easy to read from a distance. All good and working fine and great for what I wanted it for. 
Now to the not so good bits. I already have WeatherLink live broadcasting to the internet and was rather hoping when I signed in on this console that I would be able to load all the previous historical data onto the console, but no! It’s like starting all over again and would appear that I need to start a new WeatherLink account ( I’m not that technically minded so I may be wrong there). Accessing other info such as graphs and other data I find more fiddly although I’m still finding my way around it at the moment. 
For what I want it for, just viewing the temperatures, wind, rainfall etc from across the room, it’s fine, but I can’t help feeling that Davis has missed a trick or two here, and I’m hoping that some of these issues could possibly be solved with  firmware updates at a later date. 
All in all I’m satisfied for what I want it for but can’t help feeling it’s rather pricey for what it is. A glorified tablet with a stand. Oh and it’s made in China, shame on you Davis. 

Could contain: Electronics, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Computer, Tablet Computer

Could contain: Electronics, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor, Computer, Tablet Computer

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Tablet Computer

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Tablet Computer, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Can you turn the display off?

Also, what wind speed is that showing? I presume that's the 10 or 3 minute average?

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
12 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Can you turn the display off?

Also, what wind speed is that showing? I presume that's the 10 or 3 minute average?

As far as I know you can’t turn the display off without unplugging it (pointless really). The wind rose in the middle is a real-time display and will update every couple of seconds. 

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I still waiting on my from weather shop there still waiting stock 

Prodata have or had them in stock. That’s where I got mine from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Louthweather said:

The wind rose in the middle is a real-time display and will update every couple of seconds. 

Well that is odd. Davis anemometers only have a resolution of 1mph, so real-time wind speeds should be at 0 decimal places. Only averaged speeds would be to 1 decimal place, as it is in the weatherlink app. Hmm

• Insightful 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Well that is odd. Davis anemometers only have a resolution of 1mph, so real-time wind speeds should be at 0 decimal places. Only averaged speeds would be to 1 decimal place, as it is in the weatherlink app. Hmm

I never thought of that actually. 🤔

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Looks great and very jealous is me 👌 but a silly question, on your display and forgive me if I can’t make it out …where is the Dp on your display 🫣

• 3 months later...
Posted

My sister has bought one of these to view my data at her house. 

I had to set it up for her, what an absolute pile of crap!

Data freezes on the screen, the high contrast mode on/off doesn't work properly. The wind rose is showing the colours as if high contrast mode was off, whilst it's actually enabled. Turning off high contrast mode does nothing.
It's extremely slow.. painfully slow.

It's not a high end console at all, it's actually worse than a sub £100 tablet. If you want to get ripped off, buy it.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
19 hours ago, Mapantz said:

My sister has bought one of these to view my data at her house. 

I had to set it up for her, what an absolute pile of crap!

Data freezes on the screen, the high contrast mode on/off doesn't work properly. The wind rose is showing the colours as if high contrast mode was off, whilst it's actually enabled. Turning off high contrast mode does nothing.
It's extremely slow.. painfully slow.

It's not a high end console at all, it's actually worse than a sub £100 tablet. If you want to get ripped off, buy it.

Sounds like you'd be better buying a tablet put linux on then cumulusmx

Posted
33 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Sounds like you'd be better buying a tablet put linux on then cumulusmx

She sent me some videos this morning.. lol damn.. it is so bad!

Touchscreen becomes unresponsive when trying to navigate, the lag is horrendous! 

Check out the wind rose.. values get cut off, and even disappear.

20230708_010430.thumb.jpg.55f32d698a9a8d12a3ae7f971254cf74.jpg 20230708_023335.thumb.jpg.c868a1590c6fef962197ee180349cfe7.jpg

Dreadful device.

Posted

I cant believe they're asking nearly £400 for that! Mind you, we're talking about a company that sells fans for £80 that fail in a few weeks and consist of $3 motors.

I don't use Weatherlink live so as I mentioned before I guess it isn't made for me, but you have to ask, who was it actually made for?

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, reef said:

but you have to ask, who was it actually made for?

Good question!

It still retains the "It's raining cats & dogs" easter egg though. 😋

Posted

A few more things that she has passed on to me..

1. All values lost their decimal places, so they all became rounded. There's an option to change that in the settings, but it was set to show values to 1 decimal place.
  2. The sunrise/sunset times, icons and sun transit disappeared from the main screen.
  3. Moonrise time is completely wrong.
  4. The background colour and data cards all turned blue, despite no option for that kind of colour. 
  5. Turning high contrast mode on/off doesn't work properly.
  6. The "current conditions"  in the ticker box is miles away from reality. It was showing overcast all day, yet it was sunny.
  7. The "current conditions" ticker doesn't update by itself, has to be forced by going in to the menu and back again.
  8. Reception to the outdoor transmitters is diabolical. Putting the old and new console side-by-side shows the old console has far superior reception.
  9. All daily highs/lows get reset if you reboot the console.
Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

1. All values lost their decimal places, so they all became rounded. There's an option to change that in the settings, but it was set to show values to 1 decimal place.
  2. The sunrise/sunset times, icons and sun transit disappeared from the main screen.
  3. Moonrise time is completely wrong.
  4. The background colour and data cards all turned blue, despite no option for that kind of colour. 
  5. Turning high contrast mode on/off doesn't work properly.
  6. The "current conditions"  in the ticker box is miles away from reality. It was showing overcast all day, yet it was sunny.
  7. The "current condition" ticker doesn't update by itself, has to be forced by going in to the menu and back again.
  8. Reception to the outdoor transmitters is diabolical. Putting the old and new console side-by-side shows the old console has far superior reception.
  9. All daily highs/lows get reset if you reboot the console.

Whomever test this regarding its compatible for sale, with thoughts of *performance* and most of all its a 100% console that’s up and running….needs the Gill Jack methinks 🤭

Posted

According to my sisters WeatherLink dashboard, data stopped at 6:19pm yesterday. The console says it is connected to WeatherLink, and it's also connected to Wi-Fi, as the forecasts are updating. 🤦‍♂️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sounds like there QA needs to be looked at.

Reef you can use two anemometers with the weather link live.

Does sound like getting a tablet and sticking linux on it is a better option.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 27/02/2023 at 10:37, Louthweather said:

As far as I know you can’t turn the display off without unplugging it (pointless really). The wind rose in the middle is a real-time display and will update every couple of seconds. 

How do you get the temp with the . mine is just showing a rounded figure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 09/07/2023 at 20:07, lol said:

I had this exact issue, eventually figured it out in the settings

Edited by Summer Sun

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Posted

Well that turned out to be a waste of time. I have my Airlink registered to my weatherlink live account, as that is the main account I use to get all of my data. My weatherlink console just has a simple dummy account, so it doesn't interfere with my main one. If you want to see your Airlink data, I have to remove it from my main account and link it to the console one, which is not what I want to do.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 26/02/2023 at 22:00, Woldsedge said:

So I took the plunge and bought this new fangled Davis WeatherLink console which arrived yesterday. Whilst I haven’t gone into every file folder or graph as yet, I just thought I’d let you know my personal opinion of it. 
Firstly, the main reason I wanted it was really to be able to view all the basic info from across the room which I couldn’t do with the old console you get with a Vantage Vue. For this purpose it does the job splendidly. A surprisingly large screen, easy to read, configure and set up, with a choice of what you want to see on the screen. You have a choice of 2x2 panels or 2x3 panels to view. Obviously the 2x2 panels are larger and easy to see from a distance but less info on show. 2x3 panels are what I’ve got it set to to maximise the info available as it’s still very easy to read from a distance. All good and working fine and great for what I wanted it for. 
Now to the not so good bits. I already have WeatherLink live broadcasting to the internet and was rather hoping when I signed in on this console that I would be able to load all the previous historical data onto the console, but no! It’s like starting all over again and would appear that I need to start a new WeatherLink account ( I’m not that technically minded so I may be wrong there). Accessing other info such as graphs and other data I find more fiddly although I’m still finding my way around it at the moment. 
For what I want it for, just viewing the temperatures, wind, rainfall etc from across the room, it’s fine, but I can’t help feeling that Davis has missed a trick or two here, and I’m hoping that some of these issues could possibly be solved with  firmware updates at a later date. 
All in all I’m satisfied for what I want it for but can’t help feeling it’s rather pricey for what it is. A glorified tablet with a stand. Oh and it’s made in China, shame on you Davis. 

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Tablet Computer

Could contain: Computer, Electronics, Tablet Computer, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Monitor

After nearly a year of owning this console my general feeling is that it’s ok but really not worth the price tag. It was beset  with numerous problems for a great part of the year but various updates have gradually resolved these issues and all seems to be working fine now. For me it’s a handy device for seeing what the current conditions are outside and can be easily viewed from across the room but that’s about it really.