Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe thunderstorms in western Ireland yesterday, easily some of the most severe thunderstorms I’ve experienced in years.

Posted

I have lived here in western Ireland all my life and the thunderstorms that moved through here yesterday were among some of the most severe I’ve experienced in many years, excluding the thunderstorms we had last August and October, and even more severe than the thunderstorms we had last Tuesday and Wednesday. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think yesterday’s setup was a Spanish Plume . Instead, an atlantic low to the west of Ireland which brought a very warm humid and unstable airmass over western Ireland, multiple shortwave troughs that moved through at various times during the day and a strong jet streak over the celtic sea, and unusually high CAPE values over 1500 j/kg, at least for Irish standards. We must have had at least 7 hours of thunderstorms yesterday, and before that some elevated thunderstorms on Friday night which followed on from last Tuesday and Wednesdays storms. Has anyone ever seen a convective setup like the one which lead to yesterday’s severe thunderstorms before? 

• Like 3