Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

9th July 1993 cold front

Posted

I remember attending a bar-b-q at Blackpool on the evening of Sat 10th July 1993 and it was shown as the coldest July day / night for many years, and yes, we shivered outside! The following morning, I was up with the larks to get to Manchester on the train with my bike prior to taking part in the annual Manchester to Blackpool cycle run, starting at 7am. The run was undertaken in freezing cold weather, with frequent showers and a keen wind hindering progress. Never have I been so glad as when I finally arrived back at the finish in Blackpool, and it was an experience that I never wanted to repeat, nor ever done so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
On 09/07/2023 at 11:58, Weather-history said:

30 years  ago today

Signalled the start of an extended period of where below average temperatures dominated with lasted until the start of December in the south and until the end of the year further north.

Thanks for sharing. This would of contributed towards a somewhat cool CET for July 1993 of 15.1 .. 

As you say 1993 a year of two halves with July being the change point - Aug 14.6, Sept 12.3, Oct 8.3, Nov 4.5. All months before July were warmer than the 61-90 average I believe. Dec a bit of an exception as you stated to this trend with a CET of 5.3. 

Not sure if there are any other years that have such a pronounced split like this whereby the first half was relatively consistently milder than average, in complete contrast to the second half (or vice versa) .. 

Edited by StretfordEnd1996

Posted
12 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Thanks for sharing. This would of contributed towards a somewhat cool CET for July 1993 of 15.1 .. 

As you say 1993 a year of two halves with July being the change point - Aug 14.6, Sept 12.3, Oct 8.3, Nov 4.5. All months before July were warmer than the 61-90 average I believe. Dec a bit of an exception as you stated to this trend with a CET of 5.3. 

Not sure if there are any other years that have such a pronounced split like this whereby the first half was relatively consistently milder than average, in complete contrast to the second half (or vice versa) .. 

I would definitely say 2013 for the reverse of 1993. January to June generally at or below average. July to December generally at or above.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
3 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

I would definitely say 2013 for the reverse of 1993. January to June generally at or below average. July to December generally at or above.

Must be a year ending in 3 thing.

Hmm that's got me thinking. 😂

Posted
19 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

Hmm that's got me thinking. 😂

Do you think 2023 will follow the same pattern. After all since July began we have turned cooler and wetter

Posted
4 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Do you think 2023 will follow the same pattern. After all since July began we have turned cooler and wetter

This July looks rather balmy compared to 1993, as one would expect after 30 more years of global warming!

23 hours ago, StretfordEnd1996 said:

A bit like those summers during the years ending in 8 and then 2018 came along!

• Like 1