• Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting video here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, The PIT said:

Interesting video here

funnily enough i watched this at the weekend..popped up in my recommended watch list for some reason (usually its footy or some other nonsense)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yep, I got it too. No mention of H2O controlling Earth's climate, these past 4billion years, though. 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Not seen it, but seen plenty of stuff on methane escaping from areas where permafrost is melting, and from the sea bed, in some places, though not sure on the science behind that. Can't be less pressure, unless perhaps warmer seas have less pressure with regard to water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
1 hour ago, Methuselah said:

Yep, I got it too. No mention of H2O controlling Earth's climate, these past 4billion years, though. 🤔

Of course not h2o doesn't fit the agenda I would recommend reading some of the latest research papers!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, jonboy said:

Of course not h2o doesn't fit the agenda I would recommend reading some of the latest research papers!!

😁

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Warmer air holds more water vapour, so there's no plausible way H2O can act as the source of warming, it's in fact a positive feedback loop which begins with other forcing agents.

I'm confused, I thought this thread was about methane, but all the posts are about water vapour. I won't argue that the Tonga volcano put lots of vapour up to the strat, of course it did, and probably enough for some impacts. But what has that got to do with an increase in methane, which is the title of the thread. Guess I'd better watch the vid.

Posted

Ah yes, sorry I've not watched the video!

In the specific case of Hunga Tonga the situation is somewhat different - there is a plausible explanation that stratospheric water vapour could drive temporary warming as it has a longer lifetime in the atmosphere.

However, most papers I've seen that quantify the global temperature change resulting from Hunga Tonga have it on the order of 0.1C globally or less, though regional effects may be larger. The sign of the change is also not actually confirmed - some papers actually show a negative effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1