Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Best location for outdoor sensor

Posted

I currently have a Youshiko YC9481 weather station and I’m having issues with the sensor in that it’s over inflating the outdoor temperature. 
Last night for example, according to the virtual weather station page in NetWeather, the minimum temp in my postcode was 4.8c. Now allowing for a margin of error of 1c, my unit recorded 7.6c as the lowest min, this is too far out to ignore.

So unless they send me a replacement (it’s 11mths old), it looks like I’ll be buying yet another weather station soon).

I have attached a photo of the only 2 spots I can place the sensor, it’s either on the wet wooden fence on the right or half way up the window, (this is where it’s been until now, I think the single pane window is allowing heat from my kitchen to affect the temp reading).

The sensor is covered in a Royal Mail money bag to keep it dry, there is no sheltered spot out there but at least it’s in the shade all year round.

The height of the sensor is around 5ft up from the ground so that’s good. 

Am I right in thinking that positioning the sensor on wall near the window is unwise?

Also, am I right in thinking that even when the outside of plastic money bag cover gets wet, it will also affect the sensors temp readings as the water slowly evaporates?

I just don’t know where is the best place for a sensor. Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

IMG_3315.jpeg

Posted
6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I currently have a Youshiko YC9481 weather station and I’m having issues with the sensor in that it’s over inflating the outdoor temperature. 
Last night for example, according to the virtual weather station page in NetWeather, the minimum temp in my postcode was 4.8c. Now allowing for a margin of error of 1c, my unit recorded 7.6c as the lowest min, this is too far out to ignore.

So unless they send me a replacement (it’s 11mths old), it looks like I’ll be buying yet another weather station soon).

I have attached a photo of the only 2 spots I can place the sensor, it’s either on the wet wooden fence on the right or half way up the window, (this is where it’s been until now, I think the single pane window is allowing heat from my kitchen to affect the temp reading).

The sensor is covered in a Royal Mail money bag to keep it dry, there is no sheltered spot out there but at least it’s in the shade all year round.

The height of the sensor is around 5ft up from the ground so that’s good. 

Am I right in thinking that positioning the sensor on wall near the window is unwise?

Also, am I right in thinking that even when the outside of plastic money bag cover gets wet, it will also affect the sensors temp readings as the water slowly evaporates?

I just don’t know where is the best place for a sensor. Any help / advice would be much appreciated!

IMG_3315.jpeg

I would certainly think about using the fence post before trying other interventions.  The place by the window would be at risk of latent heat through the brickwork..and this would only be increased if sensor within a plastic bag..  think greenhouse effect   

So long as fence is shaded I reckon you will a lot closer to other readings

• Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I would certainly think about using the fence post before trying other interventions.  The place by the window would be at risk of latent heat through the brickwork..and this would only be increased if sensor within a plastic bag..  think greenhouse effect   

So long as fence is shaded I reckon you will a lot closer to other readings

Thanks, I’ve now moved it back to the fence, the sensor is covered and the back  is not resting on the soaking wet wood, the temperature has fallen 0.4c already which is a good sign.

If the overnight minimum is still out by 3-4c tomorrow then I’ll need to go shopping again unless they offer me a replacement.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Thanks, I’ve now moved it back to the fence, the sensor is covered and the back  is not resting on the soaking wet wood, the temperature has fallen 0.4c already which is a good sign.

If the overnight minimum is still out by 3-4c tomorrow then I’ll need to go shopping again unless they offer me a replacement.

I would agree with that.. I'm reasonably confident you be much closer.  Please let us know:)

Posted
On 09/11/2023 at 13:51, TSNWK said:

I would agree with that.. I'm reasonably confident you be much closer.  Please let us know:)

It worked, my minimum Temp was 5.3c between 2-3am last night , that’s 0.2c more than the NetWeather virtual weather station page.

A combination of latent heat (as you said) and close proximity to my kitchen window was skewing things 

Thanks, you’ve saved me a few quid!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I would place it on the fence post.

To keep it dry I would buy a cheap Bird Box and drill loads of holes in it which will allow easy circulation of air while keeping the sensor dry.

Putting tbe sensor in a plastic bag is a no no as it will always read too high at night.

Andy

Posted
18 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

I would place it on the fence post.

To keep it dry I would buy a cheap Bird Box and drill loads of holes in it which will allow easy circulation of air while keeping the sensor dry.

Putting tbe sensor in a plastic bag is a no no as it will always read too high at night.

Andy

Thanks, I like that idea