Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Springlike Autumns/Winters - Lovely but underrated

baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
7 minutes ago, baddie said:

Jealous. At least I had a better March and April than you, hahahahaha

True March was totally miserable!!! April wasn't so bad down there, I feel like in the SE where i am now it felt much worse. There were some awful days but also some nice ones. 

Same can't be said for May... incredible month down there which im not sure was the same for the rest of the UK!

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sun Chaser said:

True March was totally miserable!!! April wasn't so bad down there, I feel like in the SE where i am now it felt much worse. There were some awful days but also some nice ones. 

Same can't be said for May... incredible month down there which im not sure was the same for the rest of the UK!

May was similar for me. The first half was the same mixed conditions displayed through April, and the second half was mostly sunny but temperatures were unremarkable. The big problem is the North Sea murk in the closing days, so May was just average for sunshine in my area

You also fared better during July and August than I did. August was still benign and average anyways

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
3 hours ago, baddie said:

May was similar for me. The first half was the same mixed conditions displayed through April, and the second half was mostly sunny but temperatures were unremarkable. The big problem is the North Sea murk in the closing days, so May was just average for sunshine in my area

You also fared better during July and August than I did. August was still benign and average anyways

July was horrendous in Plymouth... August wasn't great too, 87(!!) hours of sunshine in all of August, but the part I was in the country (12th-27th) was the better part I think so doesn't stick out as especially bad. In early Sep I moved to London, where both Sep and Oct were far sunnier than my July and Aug in Plymouth.

May and June will always stick out for how amazing they were. 240+ hours of sunshine in both! What a weird year its been

Posted
16 hours ago, Sun Chaser said:

July was horrendous in Plymouth... August wasn't great too, 87(!!) hours of sunshine in all of August, but the part I was in the country (12th-27th) was the better part I think so doesn't stick out as especially bad. In early Sep I moved to London, where both Sep and Oct were far sunnier than my July and Aug in Plymouth.

May and June will always stick out for how amazing they were. 240+ hours of sunshine in both! What a weird year its been

Strange, Because I had 156 hours of sunshine in August (Still not great)

Posted
1 hour ago, baddie said:

Strange, Because I had 156 hours of sunshine in August (Still not great)

156 would be a good August in Plymouth haha. This year I think we got 87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

February 2021, apart from the 2nd week.

February 2017 too

Further back January 1992 and February 1993 (apart from the last weekend which had a northerly toppler)

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sun Chaser said:

156 would be a good August in Plymouth haha. This year I think we got 87

Average in Nottingham is 166 hours (Before being corrected to aprrox 178 hours)

How I rate August based on Sunshine totoals

>250 hours - The classic August
230-250 hours - Excellent
220-230 hours - Good
160-200 hours - Fair (A lot of Augusts end up in this benchmark)
130-160 hours - Poor (Same as above)
110-130 hours - Dull as dishwater
<110 hours - Worst August ever

August 2023 ends up in the "poor" pile for sunshine, but could have been way worse

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SummerShower said:

February 2021, apart from the 2nd week.

February 2017 too

Further back January 1992 and February 1993 (apart from the last weekend which had a northerly toppler)

Feb 2017 had "As much sunshine as the marinas trench" as far as I am concerned. I would only class the last week of Feb 2021 was "springlike" as most of the mild weather was cloudy and/or wet

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The only endless Autumn I have been forced to endure was 2013/2014. It was offensive to the very soul.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

The only endless Autumn I have been forced to endure was 2013/2014. It was offensive to the very soul.

Not to forget 2015/16 - autumn began in mid July and never really let up until early May. Summer ended early, winter never really got going and spring took a while too. Just a constant stream of 10-16c and rain for 9 months.

I'd say 2013/14 was probably more intensely miserable but didn't last as long, basically from mid September to early March.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Sun Chaser said:

Not to forget 2015/16 - autumn began in mid July and never really let up until early May. Summer ended early, winter never really got going and spring took a while too. Just a constant stream of 10-16c and rain for 9 months.

I'd say 2013/14 was probably more intensely miserable but didn't last as long, basically from mid September to early March.

2019/20 was an infamous one starting from the September equinox and didnt stop until the March equinox with only a couple short breaks e.g Mid-January

Argueably 2017/18 was another one, with autumn arriving in mid-July and not properly finishing until mid-April (Still was a decent winter though) :
August was meh, but the first half was dire
September was the worst of the century
October was non-descript other than the red sun on the 16th
November was lovely, but felt autumnal/wintry
December was a mixed one, but was wetter than average, but also had that wintry event
January was unsettled, with some wintry blasts

February was a cold one, with the BFTE at the end
March started with the BFTE, but otherwise cold, wet and dull
April was revoltingly dull and cold in the first half, but improved afterwards, but became cold and wet again at the end

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sun Chaser said:

While December was horrific and felt genuinely warm, Jan-March was not overly bad. It was a poor Q1 but no worse than most winters and actually had brief frosts and snow here. Critically, it was still a winter. 

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, baddie said:

2019/20 was an infamous one starting from the September equinox and didnt stop until the March equinox with only a couple short breaks e.g Mid-January

Argueably 2017/18 was another one, with autumn arriving in mid-July and not properly finishing until mid-April (Still was a decent winter though) :
August was meh, but the first half was dire
September was the worst of the century
October was non-descript other than the red sun on the 16th
November was lovely, but felt autumnal/wintry
December was a mixed one, but was wetter than average, but also had that wintry event
January was unsettled, with some wintry blasts

February was a cold one, with the BFTE at the end
March started with the BFTE, but otherwise cold, wet and dull
April was revoltingly dull and cold in the first half, but improved afterwards, but became cold and wet again at the end

I think 17/18 gets a pass as the core Oct-Feb period was actually quite settled compared to normal. But late summer 17 and early spring 18 was really rough giving a real extended winter feel rather than an eternal autumn feel

• Like 1