Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is there anybody on here who used to hate the cold but now appreciate it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Both on here and in real life, I keep hearing people mention that they used to love cold winters but detest it more the older they get. I am the exact opposite. Up until around 2010 I was 100% a summer person - I hated the cold and wanted it to be as mild during the winter as possible (though I have always liked snow). But since then I have learned to appreciate the cold and find myself enjoying it more the older I get. I love those crisp sunshine days where the air feels nice and fresh, particularly when accompanied by frost or snow which add colour to what would otherwise be a bleak landscape seeing as nature is in hibernation.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.

I've never liked cold dark winters and over the years I've grown to absolutely loathe cold weather. Personally I can't wait to get January  over and done with, not helped by losing both parents in that month, and look forward to see the evenings pull out and the temperatures rise. I love warm and hot weather with bright sunshine and being able to wear a T-shirt and shorts every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Racer said:

I've never liked cold dark winters and over the years I've grown to absolutely loathe cold weather. Personally I can't wait to get January  over and done with, not helped by losing both parents in that month, and look forward to see the evenings pull out and the temperatures rise. I love warm and hot weather with bright sunshine and being able to wear a T-shirt and shorts every day.

Think we all want Spring proper here, May/June! cold April's I cannot stand though, at lowish level proper snow isn't really possible

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Think we all want Spring proper here, May/June! cold April's I cannot stand though, at lowish level proper snow isn't really possible

The snow at the end of November was really weird. It snowed in west Cornwall and around Ivybridge in South Hams, but not on Dartmoor where it was expected. We had a clear run to Okehampton and Tavistock on the 30th

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

I used to love extremes at either end, it could never be too cold or too hot for me, but health conditions in the past few years which are sometimes significantly exacerbated by heat mean that I now fear, and thus have come to (strongly) dislike, the heat. 25c is about my absolute limit these days. But even though I'm getting old/ older, I still love the cold...maybe because it's definitely rarer now to get proper cold compared to the 1970s and 80s, my 'formative' years. I miss proper winters! And the prolonged summer season is more of a problem for me now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I've grown to enjoy cold weather the past year but only when it's accompanied by bright conditions with crisp sunshine or a nice starry Night. I prefer heat still but cold no longer annoys me. Its that grey sheet of rubbish blocking out the sun day in day out which I can't stand lol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 hours ago, Racer said:

I am so sorry to hear about your parents. 

*sending you a virtual hug.

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, SunSean said:

I've grown to enjoy cold weather the past year but only when it's accompanied by bright conditions with crisp sunshine or a nice starry Night. I prefer heat still but cold no longer annoys me. Its that grey sheet of rubbish blocking out the sun day in day out which I can't stand lol.

Yes, sunshine just feels so good whether it is 30 degrees or 3 degrees. Personally hoping we get some more crisp sunny days throughout the winter as well as plenty of sunshine during spring and summer.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

Ya this is pretty much where I stand tbh. It's grown on me. I think because real cold is so damn rare now! I mean we have barely had any frosts! I long for some more crips frosty mornings! Never mind the snow that won't ever return.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
8 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ya this is pretty much where I stand tbh. It's grown on me. I think because real cold is so damn rare now! I mean we have barely had any frosts! I long for some more crips frosty mornings! Never mind the snow that won't ever return.

Surprisingly, I've seen snow fall or settle almost every year down where I am. Maybe you're a touch too far South?

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am so sorry to hear about your parents. 

*sending you a virtual hug.

Thank you, that’s very kind.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, SunSean said:

Surprisingly, I've seen snow fall or settle almost every year down where I am. Maybe you're a touch too far South?

I'm moving in with you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I've actually never appreciated either cold or heat, but could tolerate both, now because of my ms, I'm actually bad in both. So my view re cold is, if it's gonna be cold at least snow with it toake the discomfort worth it, as I love snow, how it looks when falling, and first landed. I hate it after that though, as also because of my ms, it makes getting about very dangerous for me, withy balance issues.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

When i had to de-ice a car at 5am and walk in slush to get to work, i hated it.  Since being a Mum and watching my baby's face light up at the first flake of snow, i learnt from doing school runs, that you can enjoy any weather if you have the right clothing. Having said that, as people will be no doubt aware that i am a heat hater more, because it's obviously easier to put on a coat then it is to walk around naked.

Edited by Dami
  • Thanks 1