Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 1899

Earthshine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

A very good summer that is rarely spoken about.  Every month was significantly warmer than average. Here's the season and monthly maximum CET values:

Summer: 22.2°C (6th hottest on record)

June: 21.3°C 

July: 22.0°C

August: 23.3°C

There were unfortunately drought conditions.  Every day from the 24th July to the 28th August recorded a maximum CET of at least 20°C.

Screenshot_20240204-212145.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Although it doesn't compare to some of the beasts of the summers in the last 30 years, it still has quite a respectable rank. For mean it's 16.9C which is 13th highest although in the 19th century 1846 and 1826 was warmer, and 1869 also at 16.9C.

No individual months were exceptionally dry, but August was the driest, coming out at 39.9mm in the EWP series which is the 21st driest. Overall the EWP for the season was 132.9mm, which makes it the 17th driest summer since at least 1766. Quite dry regardless, but 1995 was twice as dry!

For the rainfall in the central England region (Midlands + east Anglia) Just about made it into the top 10, but 2018 and 2022 were a little drier.

image.thumb.png.e68199dd9288c1b538aa8b16f78e2e5a.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I thought this would also be relevant @Earthshine

Was discussing hot summers with someone the other night and brought up this graphic. A few counties still has 1899 in the lead, such as Sutherland in north Scotland, 3 in South Wales, and 2 in northern Ireland, interesting If I say so myself!

UK-counties-colour-coded-by-the-year-which-saw-the-highest-summer-average-temperature-for-that-region.-730x1024.thumb.png.6829d8a2a8f9462d766d92531e77045b.png

• Like 2

Posted

Metwatch 2018 will be remembered as a classic summer here, I can't remember years things happen too well but I can still feel that summer just thinking about it. It felt like being in the Med especially with the endless dry heat, the crisp brown grass and the wildfires around the country.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Interesting how 2021 makes it there too!

Funky one that indeed, Northern Ireland had its third hottest summer on record, and Scotland its fourth!

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Relative to average, Scotland and Northern Ireland have seen the mildest, driest and sunniest conditions during summer 2021.

• Like 1

According to Trevor Harley the highest temperature of the year was 32.4 on the 25th august which today doesn’t seem that amazing but back in 1899 not to bad. There was also a suspect 33.3 on the 15th august at Bramley. 1900 looks even better with a high of 35.1 which I believe was one of the hottest days on record back then ??

Edited by Summerlover2006