Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What have been the longest periods without any Atlantic low pressure systems reaching the UK?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

I'm guessing that some famous prolonged periods of hot and cold might be candidates (e.g. winter '62-'63 and summer '76), but perhaps some very long dry spells without notable temperatures could also be in the running?

Note that I'm not requiring no precipitation to have fallen; showers or frontal rain/snow originating from directions other than the Atlantic are OK, and I'm also thinking that it's OK for pressure contours over the UK to have been traceable back to an Atlantic low pressure area, as long as the low pressure area they traced back to did not carry any frontal rain/snow that reached the UK mainland (Great Britain and Northern Ireland). This definition does mean that "sliders" are not allowed, even if they did not remove a cold airmass from the UK.

Edited by Rain All Night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
45 minutes ago, Rain All Night said:

but perhaps some very long dry spells without notable temperatures could also be in the running?

Yeah this is basically searching for the driest months / longest droughts ever recorded which would answer this thread, ones i'd consider checking are February and September 1959, Aprils 2007/2011/2021, May 2020, June 1925/1921/2018, 1975/76 summers, August 1947/1995, those could all be considered then researched.

Then also check some of the other driest months recorded in the EWP series linked below and look through reanalysis charts (Wetterzentrale my go to site but Meteociel is nice too) through the whole month and maybe a week or 2 either side of the month to see longest period of no low pressure pretty much.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/data/ranked_monthly/HadEWP_ranked_monthly.txt

Another good thread with other driest months:

One more!

Edited by Metwatch
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Metwatch This makes me wonder whether there are any prolonged such periods which were somehow not also exceptionally dry?

• Like 1

Posted

February 1932 I would go for. Anticyclone permanently centered over Britain or just west or just north. A few days look like they had an easterly flow across the south which might have brought some light precipitation but no depression got near Britain. I think any fronts would have missed by quite a way

image.thumb.png.7deb5dc29303ce881ff907a91afb5f8e.png

image.thumb.png.4e48671e04e28b8d8c62f6fa0a454f75.png

image.thumb.png.b302a3af7ef2d81e7d0ff2c21fe3d0f1.png

image.thumb.png.8eca991ff4ec2bcd8d0bb6455fd9a16d.png

image.thumb.png.3e745070996334fecf4913a8e160f36a.png

image.thumb.png.8e3d6f749ea1f7805ae9a3b8ef7dedad.png

Looking either side I don't think an Atlantic front would have touched Britain between 17 Jan and 5 March (both times it looks like they might have trailed over Scotland).

• Thanks 1