Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted

Eagle Eye Pretty much bang on mate, not a single strike reported outside the 'slight' zone but within the moderate and especially high risks, it has been fireworks galore, very accurate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Eagle Eye didn't even have these here, just nice and sunny all day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

More oppertunities through this week namely Thus and Friday and staying on the warm side,...owt could pop up through the week though.

• Like 3

Posted

Supacell

7 minutes ago, Supacell said:

At the same time a new cell developed over Belper (my home town), which meant if I had stayed home I would have seen probably as much as I had seen on my storm chase.

Damn i've been there.. it hurts😅 still experience at the end of the day, though. makes us better chasers in the long run. I'l never forget it was around this time in 2018 i was chasing those massive storms in the midlands - i finally got in good position on the west side of the storms, parked up and the camera died... memory card corrupted. i try my phone but its crashed from the heat. in the end i just decide to enjoy the moment watching what was left of the lightning. When i get home, i find out i wasn't in good position at all. Turns out the best view was on the east side of the storms and not too far from home.. It was heartbreaking. Some of the best footage i'd ever seen and i missed it. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Posted (edited)

convector that must have been awful. Over the years there have been many times where I've ended up going to the wrong place but for my camera to die, that would be the ultimate frustration. 

Having said that. The 19th July 2014, a supercell thunderstorm breaks out around Oxfordshire and heads north through the Midlands. I attempt to intercept it but my car decides to stall and it takes about 30 minutes for me to get it working again. I actually somehow, by some miracle, still just about manage to catch it up when I hit heavy traffic and it moves off into the distance. I honestly considered giving up storm chasing on that day. I'm glad I didn't 😁

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Too far West today for anything.

Wish those storms to the North and East of here happened at nighttime as atleast i would have had a heat lightning display.

• Like 1

Posted

woww man i feel for you 😞  July 19th is a date firmly in my mind. Not trying to brag but that storm came to me that day and its probably the luckiest I've ever been. One of the most sureal moments of my life watching the meso swirl directly above me. crazy! but if that hadn't happened i wouldn't have chased that day in 2018 - and 2016 when a strange supercell tracked through reading and newbury and turned everything purple! if i'd only stayed home i would've seen it.

But still, many great times would come and my best chases by far have been the opposite of that. Just post up in a good location and wait. scotland prime example today with those mountains just north of glasgow producing storms for last 5hrs or so - wouldn't even have to move spots, just sit back and enjoy. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Anything for today?

• Like 1

Posted

That band of rain is about the lot for today no chance of a repeat of yesterday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Flash bang flash bang etc Yep that's a beaut. I tried to find a suitable spot to fly my drone up to get a better look but I was practically standing in a river here so no take off permitted! 

• Like 2

Posted

Thursday afternoon we have rain coming in from the east, which is a pretty unusual direction to receive it from. I’m wondering if/what effect this has on convection vs the usual southerly or southwesterly feed? image.thumb.jpeg.cc8f1c8b8b2ccd6d1311b9d74a400fab.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Josh Rubio good spot - I saw this earlier and thought the same thing! Really uncommon for this to happen, so I really do wonder what the chances are of it verifying.

Not sure what conditions will be in place ahead of it, not expecting much will be there to tap into

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

We can't do a forecast today but a few thundery showers possible in Ireland and the SW. A low risk though. 

20240514_081306.thumb.jpg.fb6e5949cf252a596b77ccd1edbbd866.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

This is a long time away in weather terms, but it  is worth seeing how it develops.  For Sunday early hours.

Screenshot_20240514_085554_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1