Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - April 2024

Posted

Thunderspotter Everything should be sorted again now. We've had a couple of brief problems, one around lunchtime and one just now. It should be all good from here on in 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)

Paul Thank you! Muchly appreciated from all of us here 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Wow; UKV 12z is even better!

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

ChannelThunder Seems to be on the western end of the envelope compared with other models at the moment, EC/AROME for example have been consistently further east. I wonder if this is a case of the UKV underestimating elevated convection further east and instead running with the broader rain band associated with the warm front/trough. 

Not buying it's output currently, would like to see some support from other models first.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Met4Cast would you expect a more northerly path then through the West Midlands and North Wales? 

Still surprised to see no elevated showers or storms before that suspected MCS. Would have thought there would be considering the airmass and instability. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I'm going to say it. Nowcasting event. Models are making little sense and still can't agree with each other. Best I can do is base it off model output unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

CoventryWeather

Really difficult to say at this stage. UKV is probably too far west, AROME 12z has shifted west slightly but still favours broadly the same areas as before, i.e SE into CS Eng perhaps the Midlands. Whether there will be much in the way of lightning further NW though remains to be seen. 

Very tricky forecast but impressive amounts of CAPE being shown for the time of year.

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

viking_smb wouldn’t be surprised but not much agreement anywhere so we’ll just have to wait and see

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Looks like things have kicked off in France

But as son as I say that, it looks like it's died again 😂

Edited by Gonzolio Martinez
  • Like 2

Posted

Any action (and I'm not hopeful) will be in the eastern half of Kent and East Anglia tonight, it's the Southern counties' turn tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

All this talk of storms tomorrow night, and today was completely wrong. They said the chance of the odd shower, and it's been chucking it down for over an hour now with no let up. It's like here's your nice weather and here's some more rain again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Eagle Eye  Ah, I saw something about potential in EA this evening and got the 2 things conflated 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Those couple of cells over France definitely a good sign for the upcoming days. 

The recent Arome only showing 700 CAPE around that area too, which seems low to be producing lightning at that intensity. 

• Like 1

Posted

UKV and NW-SR are continually pushing Wednesday night's convection further southwards with each run so it's difficult to pin-point the exact area i'd personally like to be intercepting the storms given the current uncertainty. If I had to make a guess (and a last-minute chase) i'd set-up somewhere around Thatcham and then use the M4 to quickly head west if needed, using the MWay to get as much time close to the core before it exits out over the Bristol Channel.

• Like 3