Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Where did the quote button go?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Mods...

when deleting a post due to an error, I could not delete the @name part.

When trying to quote / paste in someone's  post I got the copy button up. Is this correct.?

How would I perform multiple quotes when replying to several comments, if the copy button is used? I thought it just overwrites.

Does it mean a new post for each one?

MIA  

Posted

@Midlands Ice Age

It's not the copy button you want to click, that's from your device - it's the quote selection one from the forum itself - it'll appear just below the text you have highlighted. It doesn't overwrite if you highlight and then click that button button, so you can do that multiple times if you like. 

In terms of hiding posts - if you click the 3 dots top right if your post, you can hide it from there if you need to. Then, you don't have to worry about any content left over. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

@Paul

Thanks - I hadn't noticed the quote from the forum on my prev attempt. Perhaps overwritten by the device copy message. 

It has worked OK now though.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Paul said:

new system o

Just testing this to see if it works for me. 

Okay, so it only quotes the text that you highlight? You have to copy the whole post?

Posted

@snowdog Yes, that's correct. The idea is that you could quote maybe the most relevant part(s) of a post rather than the whole thing. And/or use the reply button and perhaps add a bit of context to your post in terms of what you're responding to 🙂

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

@Paul Thanks. I have just seen the reply arrow at the bottom of your post. That makes sense.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 hours ago, Paul said:

The quote function is still available if you want to use it - just highlight a post (or portion of it) and click the 'quote selection' button which appears. The quoted text will automatically go into the post

Does this also include charts if you highlight the 1st chart, say?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I like the new "quote select" feature, that's definitely something that'll come in handy when trying to quote a specific part of someones post but absolutely hate the removal of the quote feature in general, it seems like a step backwards to me. 

I don't think it 'cleans" things up, it just confuses things. Replies to hours old posts will have less  context to them and without the context of the quote, posts will make absolutely no sense. 

The "quote select" feature is too hidden. I don't think this solves anything, it simply adds to problems imo. A definite step backwards.

EDIT: The mod thread is already a sea of username @'s with no context provided. 

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

@Met4Cast

I think it's a change that will need a bit of time to bed in, as people get used to it. I think once more people see how it works, they'll either use the quote selection option (which has always been available btw) or give a bit more context within their replies to people.

And on the positive side too, other forum software like discourse has used this sort of system very successfully for many years.

We'll see how it goes though, it's just a trial at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

@Paul ,yes thanks Paul. Just had a trial run, but cleared editor before posting anything! Yes ,I think it will work well. ☺

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I can't quote text on my phone, well that's a real shame.

Posted

I'm not the brightest flash in a thunderstorm, but, why will it only seem to let me quote one word and not a sentence?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I can't quote text on my phone, well that's a real shame.

What phone are you using? Most will allow you to select text by long pressing on it, then you can drag that out to select whatever you want it to. 

3 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

I'm not the brightest flash in a thunderstorm, but, why will it only seem to let me quote one word and not a sentence?

As mentioned above, once you've selected some text (long press rather than double-tap works best on most devices), you should see handles you can drag to select the text you want. They'll look different depending on the device type, but as far as I'm aware they all work fairly similarly. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

should see handles you can drag to select the text you want.

Right, just a test.  I've got it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted

I've put together a quick 'how to quote' type guide, which includes some more information about selecting text on both android and iOS devices, for those who may not be sure. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

I've put together a quick 'how to quote' type guide, which includes some more information about selecting text on both android and iOS devices, for those who may not be sure. 

Just a test for future reference thanks 👍 seems fine to me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I've put together a quick 'how to quote' type guide

Just a test. 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
23 minutes ago, Paul said:

What phone are you using? Most will allow you to select text by long pressing on it, then you can drag that out to select whatever you want it to. 

I've figured it out thanks Paul 👍

• Like 1

Posted

Little update on the system just went live. Now, when you reply to someone, it also links back to their post (the arrow to the left of their name is the link). 

For example:

@Met4Cast

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

@Paul

An improvement but still feels like a step backwards compared to how it was previously to me. There are still more steps involved. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

@Paul

I think the new system is working great and I am happily using the Quote Selection feature - something I didn't even know existed. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

An improvement but still feels like a step backwards compared to how it was previously to me. There are still more steps involved. 

Selectively quoting rather than quoting an entire post is more steps but I'm not sure that's a bad thing in this instance. Ultimately, it will hopefully lead to easier-to-follow discussions and less clutter, and maybe with that extra clarity and that bit of extra time taken to (optionally) quote relevant content when making a post it could be a small aid in creating more considered discussions too. 

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Met4Cast said:

Replies to hours old posts will have less  context to them and without the context of the quote, posts will make absolutely no sense.

@Paul what I've seen on other communities with a similar set up to what you're trialling now is that the "reply @mention" when hovered by the mouse or tapped on a mobile device brings up an overlay that shows the content from the replied-to post. Similar to what happens here where if you hover the mouse over an @mention it brings up the user's profile card, hovering over the reply arrow icon could bring up the content of the post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1