Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Putting the washing out on the line, even in the winter months

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Netweather and Jo Farrow have assisted with Brabantia's Love your Laundry campaign to encourage people to dry their laundry outside all year round. It is possible.
Putting the washing out on the line, even in the winter months

Read more here

• Insightful 1

Posted

Is this an early april fool? Wettest winter since.... And we're being encouraged to dry clothes outside???

Edited by pinball wizard
  • Like 3

Posted

pinball wizard nope I learnt this a few years ago. Admittedly it’s hard with some clothing materials but thin items and towels dry well given no rain - that’s a big ask of course 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow

Often my mum would hang the washing outside and in a bright crisp day soon as the sun shifted our cloths would freeze but once on the maiden and our coal fire they soon dried off mind you I’m 1 of 10 children so you can imagine how big our maiden was they smelt good when dry none of this clothing fabric  softener . 
my mam was a grafter . And yes we did have a tv although it a 10p slot one . Oh the good old days . Bless my mam 🌈

• Like 4

Posted

pinball wizard  Yes, I've dried my laundry outside on 18 days in March

Posted

Jo Farrow where do you live to be able to do that? Genuinely interested to know and not being deliberately argumentative. Believe me we've had to get a dehumidifier to take away moisture from the home in part due to clothes drying inside. 

I've found with myself and other half both working full time, a newborn and the atrocious weather this winter it's just not been practical at all for us to consider drying outside and that's living in the supposedly drier part of the country. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Good luck  trying to do that in Somerset,  you'd  be in and out of the house like a yo yo .😂

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 2

Posted

Jo Farrow have you had a drier than average winter and do you run your washing machine overnight to be able to put clothes out first thing?

Edited by pinball wizard

Posted

No, but I work from home, so have more flexibility. The campaign was about letting people know it was possible, not to write off all the winter months and forget about drying outside. It won't fit everyone but it is still an open topic for discussion.

0322rain.png

• Like 1

Posted

Apart from underwear and towels (which are tumble dried) I always hang up my washing to dry naturally.  However, not outside but in the utility room!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Hanging washing outside in Yorkshire in winter 😂, there might be an odd day that is an exception to rule but really this is a fanciful notion.

• Like 3

Posted

I've been drying outside during winter for years. It's not always possible of course, but the basic rule of thumb I use, is if the humidity is 80 or less for a few hours, with temperatures above freezing, then it's worth the effort, especially if there is some sort of breeze. Even in wet winters there are some dry days and where possible, I do my laundry on those days. 

This winter has been the worst I've known for drying outside, but still managed to get at least half our laundry out on the line and dry or mostly dry.

My mum is even more on the case than me down in Swansea. She takes advantage of the stronger wind all year round, and dries most of her washing outside in winter, even in the most awful wet ones like this year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Owning a Washing Line in Cumbria is like owning a Sledge in Cornwall!

• Like 5

Posted

The problem here isn't just rain, it's also wind as we are very exposed, you end up having to pick it all up and wash it again unless you physically stitch it to the line, and that assumes you can even find it once its blown off.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Wind rain most of the winter it hasn't been possible unless have a desire for wet soggy clothes. Even dry days have had 100% humidity and I've brought washing in damper than it went out. If i had an infinite number of washing lines and clothes it maybe possible. I even prefer to put washing out if possible. Probably managed around ten times this autumn and winter which of course excludes times when the washing came in wetter than it went out.

Posted

I appreciate it's not always possible but it really amazes me that covered outdoor spaces or porches aren't more common in this country. 

Even here on a hillside in Aberdeenshire there are loads of days when it's lovely to sit outside with a bit of shelter from the rain, BBQs can continue even if the heavens open and, back on topic, it's great for drying washing outdoors without having to worry about the rain. Ours is in daily use. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

In my household we used the tumbled drier. Also contributes to global warming, keeping winters milder.

• Like 1

Posted

I put washing out with a 2 hour dry window of weather, especially when it's windy.

Wind dries washing quicker than sun

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I used to help my mother put the washing out on the line, back in the 1960s, and it used to freeze solid. . . Oh, well: some things just don't happen in this day and age! 🥶

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & sunny

I used to help my mother put the washing out on the line, back in the 1960s, and it used to freeze solid. . . Oh, well: some things just don't happen in this day and age! 

Scottish Borders here.We dry our washing outside all year round. Yes its got wet a few times, but it just gets left outside longer. Ive put it out overnight quite a bit , & it has frozen occasionally, but that always gives us a good giggle when we find the underwear & socks stiff as boards. 😄