Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - May 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Frequent lighting though the rain has moderated. Did record for a bit but lighting has now gone behind some trees. I think I may have captured a strike on camera though. If anyone wants to watch me ramble amongst thunder then I’ll upload the video as well as screenshots. 

Posted

LetItSnow! I know what you mean. I get scared too!! Azazel weird time to poo lolmatt111 yes. I'm yawning because it woke me up and I only had 2 hours sleep I feel rough as hell

Posted

Right kids back in bed or one is. The other is in our bed I'm on the sofa as per 

Night all x

• Like 1

Posted

Constant thunder here. Amazing! 

• Thanks 1

Posted

The storm has passed over and lightning frequency has dropped though extremely ‘wow’ bright each time. 

• Like 1

Posted

Something quite amazing happened. I’d stopped recording and then all of a sudden it picked up like mad. Got an incredible strike on camera and as soon as it ended the phone camera said it was full. 😂 Hoping it caught it though. Deleted some junk then kept going and caught a couple more crackers. Definitely think I’ve got a couple corker screenshots out of this and I definitely will upload the video somewhere. I really thought it was over then BAM! 😂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
Posted (edited)

Some top notch thunderstorming over the last hour or so here. One strike in particular gave a hefty clap of thunder. Just so happened to be filming at the time. Have a look. 

Edited by Paul R
  • Like 8

Posted
Posted (edited)

London direct hit! Best May thunderstorms since 2018 although not on that level, at height was flashing about every 10 seconds, surprising amount of thunder too perhaps it wasn’t entirely elevated. Very heavy rain too. I can’t say I recall seeing a thunderstorm Thames streamer before - certainly a novel event. 

IMG_2573.thumb.png.3f60476449cf99d1f86ca5cd7e65767c.pngIMG_2571.thumb.png.b839df5fc7e2c8550863f4c94896ad5d.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted (edited)

Did we just have a site outage there? Got 503 for about 5-10 minutes.

Spoke too soon about the video. It cut the initial strike in half. Absolutely gutted. The rest of the strikes weren’t really able to be caught on camera. Not as good as I’d thought. No regrets though. Felt amazing to be out in the storm!

If I had deleted some pictures beforehand I could have gotten a full picture of this! 😡

IMG_3981.thumb.jpeg.7c8858c2db681c4c5e06c90e9795b223.jpeg

Meanwhile the latest radar image shows some minor developments across Kent. Round two?

EDIT: Another mini cell firing off from the Medway towns with a strike on the radar around the same area. 

Edited by LetItSnow!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

LetItSnow! Yup, got the same 503 message here. 

Posted

forgive my rambles 😂 some moments from the roughly 15 minutes of filming i did. featuring a star cameo of my cold, wet leg 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Lots of flashes here, some rumbles of thunder, think first cell has passed slightly to my north east.  One bout of very heavy rain, another cell moving in now as rain re-intensifies. 

Posted

Another cell moving in with a very long clap of thunder. Deep boom. 

Posted

Deepest thunder of the entire night. Lightning isn’t as frequent but the deep booms are insane. Not out there recording this one though. 😂 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)
Posted (edited)

Wow, great to see all the captures from last night!

Now I would share my own, but the issue is i slept through it all.

I knew going to sleep was a risky move but I had set an alarm and everything, just for my phone to put itself on mute and for me to miss it completely.

So now i've just missed the biggest thunderstorm in years...

Note to self: never go to sleep if a big event is happening. It's not worth it missing it.

Damn it. 

Edited by Thunderspotter
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

It fizzled out as it approached my area then started upn again in Wales 🤣 Why does this always happen.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

Woke up to some thunder rumbles near Chipping Norton 

Posted

Some big bangs after I went back to bed and then woken up by sirens so obviously something got hit nearby.

Nowhere near as impressive as the September plume of last year but still not a bad start to the storm season at all!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Well, that was mega. @Daniel* - down here on the south coast we had over an hour of strikes (mostly C2C, I didn't see a single ground stroke but I have yet to review all the video) and it was at least a strike a second, and often 90 a minute. That's a phenomenal amount of energy and one of the most impressive storms I have witnessed in the UK. Only beaten by storms in places like Florida and the Mediterranean area in my experience, but even then the duration was extremely unusual.

• Like 3

Posted

Nowt here, on the periphery as usual. The annual thunder drought continues - shame we can’t have a rain drought as well…

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Alderc 2.0

I have held my ratings as I could have got carried away with the storm rating last night.

Took an elevated position up on the South Downs watching the cells generate to the SE of me.

The lightning display was 9/10 and up there with anything witnessed over the channel ( although the majority C.C  lightning)

That is where it stops in terms of quality, my area to the East of Brighton had a miss in terms of overhead thunder ( most of it in the channel) and we missed the intense rainfall. 

Looking at the lightning returns it seems the majority of it stayed in the channel ( Eastbourne an exception and areas near Worthing had a bit more on Land)

Also areas further inland picked up more lightning.

So if I'm to be honest in the cold light of day and rate the storms imby I can't go higher than a 6/10

• Like 3

Posted

Good morning! Long time lurker on nwtv. Certified storm/snow lover. Living on the coast for 26 years and last night was the best storm I’ve ever experienced. Lasted over two hours! Didn’t get much sleep. Our golden retriever sitting on my head didn’t help.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1