Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Weather Forecasts and Graphics Discussion

J10

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

But surely weather subject of a "severe weather warning" affecting a good chunk of the heaviest populated area of the country has greater public interest than some choppy water off the Isles of Scilly or light rain over Stornoway?

I think the new graphics show a real opportunity to zoom in on important events like projected snowfall.However if we are going to be given regimented forecasts as the Enforcer says then we are set to miss the opportunity. It probably doesn't help that the forecaster who did that forecast is not exactly cold aligned, but out of courtesy I am not naming names, but I didn't think that was a particualarly good forrecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Another point I'd like to raise is that re. things like "at least it will be mild", I disagree with the view that the BBC's position is necessary in order to keep insurance companies and businesses happy- it isn't a straight choice between displaying a dislike of snow, or displaying a liking towards it. I actually don't see any need for subjective comments saying "this weather type is bad, that weather type is good"- Peter Gibbs got by fine in that aforementioned forecast without resorting to it, and there's plenty of other ways forecasters can make a forecast jolly and interesting. The reality of life is that people have different opinions on weather type preferences, and if the BBC presents a particular opinion- even if it's the majority view- it's bound to cheese off those who don't share it.

Just to add another point on presentation of opinion on weather type preference, presenting the view that the majority of the population are expected to share. Subjective viewpoints are open to interpretation, and depending on a viewer's assumptions on what constitutes an 'improvement', 'good weather' or 'bad weather', he or she may well misinterpret what is meant by it.

For example, I've seen many forecasts for sunshine and showers where, in line with the view that the weather type is 'bad', the showers have been emphasised, and the sunshine part understated somewhat. In some such examples, I ended up with people telling me that the forecast said it was going to be dull and wet- and being surprised when it turned out bright and showery.

Another example is probably closer to the hearts of many on this forum. When a forecast says "hopefully the snowy weather will disappear, and the weather will improve from the Atlantic", some people may well share the view that anything with 'mild' in the title is an improvement over snow, but others may, for instance, think that an 'improvement' means it will become mild and sunny. Thus, again, if the snowy spell is followed by a spell of dull, wet and windy south-westerlies, they might see it as having been an inaccurate forecast.

Not to mention the snow lovers who say "The forecast said it was going to be miserable, but it's been lovely!" on a bright snowy day, when in reality the Met Office's weather prediction was spot on, and the issue was what constituted 'miserable weather'.

This is more a problem with ITV than BBC, although since 2000 the BBC seem to have headed closer to ITV in this sense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

I suppose the solution is for the presenters to provide the facts and to steer well clear of offering any opinions as to whether the forecast is offering up good or bad news i.e. no more "at least it will be mild".

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

That's also my view at present.

• 2 months later...
Posted

I seem to notice in the graphics in the past few days that the maps looks alot of brighter than what it was.

I notice that some of tours include the channel islands but for me its just not work and you miss some of Southan England out. Saying that i hope the BBC do include the channel islands in the tours as they are part of the UK. Maybe there is a solution for including the channel lslands and not missing central southen England out at the same time.

• 8 months later...
Posted

The BBC have overcooked the maxima today. For my town, they were predicting 9C max. At 2PM it is currently 6C.

Posted

At the moment, if you click onto the BBC weather site, you're invited to take part in a survey of the site; this includes an opportunity to give some written feeedback on what you think of the graphics etc.

Not a bad opportunity to let them know what you like or dislike about the site.

Regards,

Mike.

Posted
At the moment, if you click onto the BBC weather site, you're invited to take part in a survey of the site; this includes an opportunity to give some written feeedback on what you think of the graphics etc.

Not a bad opportunity to let them know what you like or dislike about the site.

Regards,

Mike.

I had that the other day, but they were unable to allocate me a survey. Gutted.

• 10 months later...
Posted

Was just casually watching the BBC News Channel for a wee while - and suddenly at 21h56 up pops Helen Willetts with 'Weatherview' - an in-depth look at the next 4 or 5 days.

Atlantic pressure charts, day by day maps etc., right through until Friday. Very Countryfile-esk.

If this is every day now, and lasts into the winter - it's going to be a firm favourite I think :)

Posted
no offence mate where you dreaming?

I don't think Shuggee was dreaming, same time as he reported and i am currently watching weatherview with Helen Willets right now.

I wish all forecasts would be like this but i guess that is just wishful thinking.

Posted
I don't think Shuggee was dreaming, same time as he reported and i am currently watching weatherview with Helen Willets right now.

I wish all forecasts would be like this but i guess that is just wishful thinking.

Prior to the advent of the internet, I used to religiously try and stay up to watch the BBC2 weatherview, however, in recent years I can probably count on one hand the last time I saw weatherview.

However, it is good to hear that it made an appearance today at a much more sociable hour.. also good to hear that it used weather synoptical charts, these have started to creep into many bbc forecasts in recent weeks, perhaps a sign that more of us understand them today...

I do hope weatherview makes a regular appearance around the 10 o clock even if it is on news 24, also Helen Willets is my favourite female presenter, I know shes pregnant so she won't be on our screens that much in the coming months, but I am always pleased to see her giving a forecast.

Posted

It appears to be repeated on BBC1 on Tuesdays to Fridays as well for those of us who don't watch the News Channel, but at anything up to 2.30 am, depending on what else is around. It's sometimes changed to Holiday Weather, Autumnwatch Weather or Skiing Weather.

The reintroduction of synoptic charts to some daily forecasts is indeed a welcome return.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Goodness me, tonight's 21:57 Weather on the BBC News Channel included a graphic and explanation of Orographic Rain - currently plaguing Western Scotland. Peter Gibbs did us all proud :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Goodness me, tonight's 21:57 Weather on the BBC News Channel included a graphic and explanation of Orographic Rain - currently plaguing Western Scotland. Peter Gibbs did us all proud :D

Yes I saw that, I was very impressed. And he didn't do it in the "public are thickos" style either. More of the same please BBC! Not only are they forecasting weather, they are teaching it too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Good to hear of some improvement to the BBC's forecast, but generally the picture remains depressed.

Next year Formula One returns to the BBC. I wonder what they'll do and if they'll use the way they do the weather as a guide for how they should operate?

Imagine they did so.... we could expect real fancy graphics showing us the position of the cars as they expect them to be at any point in the race. But what they wouldn't do is show us any kind of information that explained how the drivers came to be in their positions nor what the expectations of their future positions are based upon. So while for the weather this means no air pressure charts, perhaps for Formula One they could simplify things for the public by avoiding any mention of the qualifying laps, the tyres being worn, the amount of fuel on board the cars, the number of pit-stops still to make etc etc. Surely all this stuff gets too complicated for those who really are only interested in the race itself? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I sometimes wonder if the BBC radio forecasters look at their rainfall radar before coming on air.

I just heard Thomasz Schaffernaker read the 1257 forecast on radio 4 and the whole tenor of the forecast was that, apart from south west England and the western parts of Wales, the whole of Britain would be dry.

Over Lancashire and, at least, this part of Derbyshire it's been raining and drizzling all morning and Buxton has had 6mm so far today.

I assume the BBC forecasters have access to radar which is at least as detailed as that on Net Weather Extra? A quick glance at that and the rain and drizzle is obvious.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
I sometimes wonder if the BBC radio forecasters look at their rainfall radar before coming on air.

I just heard Thomasz Schaffernaker read the 1257 forecast on radio 4 and the whole tenor of the forecast was that, apart from south west England and the western parts of Wales, the whole of Britain would be dry.

Over Lancashire and, at least, this part of Derbyshire it's been raining and drizzling all morning and Buxton has had 6mm so far today.

I assume the BBC forecasters have access to radar which is at least as detailed as that on Net Weather Extra? A quick glance at that and the rain and drizzle is obvious.

Well he didn't quite say that. At the time the forecast was right rain drizzle mentioned and dryer afternoon in the east which was right. The drizzle in the morning was heavier than I expected. We were dry at the time of the forecast.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Heads up for the East Anglian's, John Hammond on BBC News 24 just said Norfolk and Suffolk "could get a pasting tomorrow".

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
I saw a forecast by Rob McElwee, and it was a great forecast, the use of synoptic charts until Sunday, and this was on at 10:35. Hopefully this can be the standard of the forecast from now on.

Yes it is good, I think the BBC now do a Weatherview at 9.25pm on their News Channel which shows synoptics for the next few days. More please...

Edited by Nick H

Posted

'All this week BBC News will be going behind the scenes to find out how Christmas works. Today, experts from the Met Office reveal how they predict whether it will snow at Christmas - from satellites, weather balloons and supercomputers to the final television forecast.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7779918.stm

• 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

The BBC are really starting to annoy me now i wan't to find out what the weather will be like on saturday and sunday because i am planning to go walking in the Peak District, every forecast i have seen so far today hasn't gone past tommorrow for some reason or other usually they do a forecast for up to 2 to 3 days ahead so why not today could it be down to the fact that there is talk of snow on the way?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

The BBC are really starting to annoy me now i wan't to find out what the weather will be like on saturday and sunday because i am planning to go walking in the Peak District, every forecast i have seen so far today hasn't gone past tommorrow for some reason or other usually they do a forecast for up to 2 to 3 days ahead so why not today could it be down to the fact that there is talk of snow on the way?.

Had a very quick look on there website and there is a blob of Snow for first thing Saturday Morning

Extending from around the Liverpool-Leeds area probably a mistake and have dissapeared of the next

Update

C.S