Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow/wintry Precipitation Reports, February 22nd 2006

Osbourne One-Nil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

almost blizzard conditions one time during the night. Started as heavy hail the started turning to snow but stopped.

It was just starting to dust the roads and cars. All gone now though.

Posted

Been snowing actually very heavy here on dartmoor all morning but its not settling!its coming down in huge flakes its lovely!!

Edited by bethpink

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light-moderate snow falling since the early hours of this morning.

A great lesson in the importance of altitude in marginal situations. The lower limit of any lying snow is 260m (850 ft ) where there is a bit of white slush in the grass, at 275m (900ft ) the fields are white with about 0.5cm of snow, at 300m (1000ft) there is just over 1cm lying and at 330m (1100ft) there is 2cm. Above 370m (about 1200ft) the snow is powdery and drifting.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

light snow since 8:30, stopping now ,no settling.

Posted

Snowing for a couple of hours now, heaviest bits about a 5/10 on a made up intensity scale, now about a 2, temp is 1.4 and stopping any settling save for favourate surfaces such as glass.

Posted
Light-moderate snow falling since the early hours of this morning.

A great lesson in the importance of altitude in marginal situations. The lower limit of any lying snow is 260m (850 ft ) where there is a bit of white slush in the grass, at 275m (900ft ) the fields are white with about 0.5cm of snow, at 300m (1000ft) there is just over 1cm lying and at 330m (1100ft) there is 2cm. Above 370m (about 1200ft) the snow is powdery and drifting.

T.M

Very true. Snowing lightly (need one of those yet to be developed new words for very very very light snow which is more than just random grains blowing around) at Stratos Towers this morning. Raining down in the valley at 300' or so. Sleeting on the outskirts of Bruddersfaxburywike at around 700', and raining in the centre of the metropolis.

A dusting on the some of the moors to the north this morning, though very strange how some had it and others didn't. Nothing settled below about 1000' anywhere though.

To paraphrase a great British leader:

Never, in the field of all human winters, have so many snow days delivered so little snow for so much potential.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
Light snow showers at present

yeh, your right, i am a few miles south of you, and it has just started to solidly start snowing, it ain't sticking yet but i'll keep you posted

Edited by kneely200

Posted

I forgot to post the exciting news of a 5 minute very wet snow shower yesterday in Brixton at 1.50pm. Sleetish rain late evening.

Now that makes so far:

3 days sleet

1 day snow grains

2 days snow flurries/showers one of which produced a temporary and pitiably light covering (27.12: the day of the fabled Thames Streamer)

Worse total than the previous 2 winters.

Now if the amusingly precise NW "chance- of- snow -in- Lambeth" forecasts were to have come off (how in the name of all that is holy can anyone presume to forecast a 95% risk of snow 7 days in advance when it is hard enough to get it right 12 hours in advance?) then I would have had well over 20 days of snowfall already...

regards

ACB

Posted

Dusting on top of the hills, constant light snow since the early hours, flakes too small and ground is too wet to settle. A few heavy showers of soft hail, sleet and snow yesterday. :)

Posted
I forgot to post the exciting news of a 5 minute very wet snow shower yesterday in Brixton at 1.50pm. Sleetish rain late evening.

Now that makes so far:

3 days sleet

1 day snow grains

2 days snow flurries/showers one of which produced a temporary and pitiably light covering (27.12: the day of the fabled Thames Streamer)

Worse total than the previous 2 winters.

Now if the amusingly precise NW "chance- of- snow -in- Lambeth" forecasts were to have come off (how in the name of all that is holy can anyone presume to forecast a 95% risk of snow 7 days in advance when it is hard enough to get it right 12 hours in advance?) then I would have had well over 20 days of snowfall already...

regards

ACB

hi ACB

Perhaps I can try and explain.

They are taken direct from GFS output, then using some additional calculations, like, dewpoint, 850mb temp, zero deg isotherm, wet bulb temp, intensity of ppn etc, the prediction then shows up.

Its not the technical side of Net Wx but how reliable GFS is that governs the output.

Try using the Net Wx Guides, one which I did early in the winter for trying to predict snow for a specific location, including height. At T+24 it will be near enough spot on.

At FI land, like all things, forget it it or at best look for consistent trends in GFS or any other model..

John

Posted
hi ACB

Perhaps I can try and explain.

They are taken direct from GFS output, then using some additional calculations, like, dewpoint, 850mb temp, zero deg isotherm, wet bulb temp, intensity of ppn etc, the prediction then shows up.

Its not the technical side of Net Wx but how reliable GFS is that governs the output.

Try using the Net Wx Guides, one which I did early in the winter for trying to predict snow for a specific location, including height. At T+24 it will be near enough spot on.

At FI land, like all things, forget it it or at best look for consistent trends in GFS or any other model..

John

John many thanks: I was just about going to edit (having read the impressive posts by you and Brickfielder on another thread ) that I would always distinguish the "pure" NW forecast team input from the gfs based snow forecasts. Apologies as I should have made that distinction.

Regards

ACB

Edited by acbrixton

Hi folks,

new here but would like to report about 1mm of snow this AM over the highest part of Dartmoor, Devon. now melted.

Yesterday there were a few flurries across Devon but nothing significant

I can only use the Net for about 1/2 hr a day during works lunchbreak but will try and post when I get reports of sbow in Devon.

rgds klk

Posted
Hi folks,

new here but would like to report about 1mm of snow this AM over the highest part of Dartmoor, Devon. now melted.

Yesterday there were a few flurries across Devon but nothing significant

I can only use the Net for about 1/2 hr a day during works lunchbreak but will try and post when I get reports of sbow in Devon.

rgds klk

Hi klk

Welcome to NW look forward to your reports, you live in a great part of the country....

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Been raining on and off today, but in the last hour there has been some snow flakes as well as just rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

snowing here in swindon now