Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

June CET

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well for here it's warmest since 1992. The weather for the last week has knocked it down a bit.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted
Well for here it's warmest since 1992. The weather for the last week has knocked it down a bit.

Sorry but can you clarify what you mean by 'here'? Whose data sets are you using?

The great thing about the CET is that it's a verifiable and externally audited data series. So that's not an aggressive question as much as a curious one.

Guest Mike W

Severe temperatures for where I live with high's of 33 celcius and lows of 20 cerlcius in Bristol by the weekend, Global Warming strikes again or you could say the Clean Air Act strikes again.

Posted
Global Warming strikes again or you could say the Clean Air Act strikes again.

Yep, that damn Clean Air Act. We don't get that lovely smoky acrid thick fog anymore, where you couldn't see the hand in front of your face, caused absolute chaos, stung your eyes and made life a misery for those who had respiratory illnesses as well as killed a few thousand in London in 1952.

:)

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Evening heat lovers,

Well my mean for June is currently standing at 17.6c, fast approaching 17.8c, :D if we achieve >26c tomorrow and the overnight low keeps above 17c, currently still 20.1c.

Also out of interest this could also be one of the driest Junes for many years, I have only measured 7mm of rain, I doubt this will be topped up now.

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

According to Phillip Eden, the CET is 16.2C, which is 2.1C above average.

Posted
According to Phillip Eden, the CET is 16.2C, which is 2.1C above average.

Indeed SB. Interestingly I think it's actually 16.15C rounded up, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if, despite the heat today, Hadley comes in at 16C or 16.1C with Manley at 16.2C. It would be interesting to hear Philip's views on this.

Posted
Indeed SB. Interestingly I think it's actually 16.15C rounded up, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if, despite the heat today, Hadley comes in at 16C or 16.1C with Manley at 16.2C. It would be interesting to hear Philip's views on this.

Putting in sensible estimates for today brings the Manley CET up to 16.25 ...

BUT ...

...and it's a big 'but' ... my calculation for the Hadley CET is appreciably lower this month (Stonyhurst was relatively low, and a few people have noted that parts of Lancashire have done rather poorly at times this month). It comes in provisionally at exactly 16.00.

Philip

Posted

Another record that won't go now is the sunshine record, or even the 283hrs betted by West. Still despite this it has been a very warm, sunny and extremely dry but I suspect that in 25 years time this June will ahve been forgotten, its a shame s this month could have been special...alas its still been great I suppose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I can't believe this. This CET I have collected is higher than any summer month last year or 2004 but the CET for me this month is currently 21.1C! That is strange.

Does the fact I live directly under the southern flight path from Bristol International Airport have anything to do with the temperatures I record?

Posted
I can't believe this. This CET I have collected is higher than any summer month last year or 2004 but the CET for me this month is currently 21.1C! That is strange.

Does the fact I live directly under the southern flight path from Bristol International Airport have anything to do with the temperatures I record?

It sounds like your station is recieving sunshine or is in a heat trap. An average of 21.1°C is probably about 5°C too high for your location. It is unlikely the airport is having any effect, more the location of your station.

Posted
It sounds like your station is recieving sunshine or is in a heat trap. An average of 21.1°C is probably about 5°C too high for your location. It is unlikely the airport is having any effect, more the location of your station.

Remember that the Bristol area is one of the warmer areas in the CET zone, so while 21.1C is obviously not accurate, I suspect that the average temperature in Bristol has probably been close to 17C this June.

Posted

hi

My June mean is 17.6C, the highest since I started, from 1997, and the highest here or at Finningley with records back to 1942. The Finningley record was 16.9C in 1960.

John

Posted

Philip has the Manley CET finished on 16.2C which would make it the warmest June since 1976, though Hadley may be a notch or two down judging by his remarks yesterday.

Actually, looking at those figures Manley is really 16.25C I think? Wonder why it's rounded down not up this time? http://www.climate-uk.com/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012

Morning,

Finished up at 17.76c here, that's about 3.6c above the CET average.

Paul

Posted
Actually, looking at those figures Manley is really 16.25C I think? Wonder why it's rounded down not up this time? http://www.climate-uk.com/

Mathematical rules. When rounding up a decimal that ends in 5, you always round up/down to the nearest even number. In this case, 16.2 as opposed to 16.3 B)

Posted
Mathematical rules. When rounding up a decimal that ends in 5, you always round up/down to the nearest even number. In this case, 16.2 as opposed to 16.3 :)

I love mathematical rules Mr. D. That gives me a share in the prize, with Derby4life, for guessing the June CET correctly! :)

What is the prize, by the way? :D Not a two week break, for two, in Dawlish, surely! B)

Posted
Mathematical rules. When rounding up a decimal that ends in 5, you always round up/down to the nearest even number. In this case, 16.2 as opposed to 16.3 B)

Wow - never knew that.

A great feature of NW, and life, is that it's always a learning process for all of us. Thanks.

Paul (Dawlish) I owe you a shed load of beers!

Posted
Mathematical rules. When rounding up a decimal that ends in 5, you always round up/down to the nearest even number. In this case, 16.2 as opposed to 16.3 :D

Is their anything you don't know Mr D B) .

I cannot help but marvel at your knowledge.

Posted
I love mathematical rules Mr. D. That gives me a share in the prize, with Derby4life, for guessing the June CET correctly! :)

What is the prize, by the way? :D Not a two week break, for two, in Dawlish, surely! B)

Incidentally, if Hadley mirrored Manley by rising 0.1C yesterday then according to Philip's reckoning the Hadley CET should be 16.1C or possibly 16.2C. We will wait and see!

Posted

not the case in meteorology, temperature is always rounded to the odd number, thus 12.5C=13C and 13.5C=13C

John

COR

I've just read the post fully, should have done first time and Mr Data is correct in the instance he quoted, to 2 decimal places.

Personally it is pretty silly in my view to give a CET to 2 decimal places. The original series were done with mercury and alcohol thermometers. There is absolutely no way that anyone can give a relaible figure to more than 1 decimal point. Its a mute point whether in the case of say 10.55C its rounded to 10.5C or 10.6C, I would think the 10.5C which then by the rules of rounding temps in meteorology becomes 11C. It all leads to confusion unless you are part of the WMO(World Met Organisation) when the 'odd' rule is universally accepted.

Nowadays, of course, we simply set our digital data to as many places as we want.

j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

my average for June was 14.3. cooler than the lucky ones in the triangle but still 1.2 higher than the 1971-2000 for my area. Which a quite a departure from the norm!

Archived