Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Usb Weatherlink Data Logger

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well after a 8 hour downtime due to usb being lost I've finally ordered the serial version of the data logger. For some poeple they have replaced the usb logger with a serial one in my case they refused putting me in contact with there UK dealer who wasn't interested. Annoying as it's now out of warrenty. I also had nightmare visions of doing the pc firmware upgrade and the usb connection being lost rendering the unit useless.

So if you order the Weatherlink software make sure you order the serial version just to be safe as it's a well known problem.

Posted

I had problems installing my weatherlink because it couldn't decide which port it was using, but it's worked flawlessly since then. I can believe that serial is better than usb though. A bit like I'm convinced cabled is better than wireless.

I did have to go through the nonsense of getting an optical isolator for my weatherlink because apparently my home's electrical system is faulty (rubbish) but I'm not sure having serial would have prevent ed that from happening.

Posted
I had problems installing my weatherlink because it couldn't decide which port it was using, but it's worked flawlessly since then. I can believe that serial is better than usb though. A bit like I'm convinced cabled is better than wireless.

I did have to go through the nonsense of getting an optical isolator for my weatherlink because apparently my home's electrical system is faulty (rubbish) but I'm not sure having serial would have prevent ed that from happening.

Problem with serial is that it's getting less common on motherboards. So you'll be forced to use it.

Posted

Hurray a shocked post man delivered the serial data logger today. He seemed rather put off by the fact I was covered in pond muck. Now swapped over and hopefully no more lost connections.

Edited by The PIT

• 2 months later...
Posted
I've been using the serial link for quite some time now, and had no problems with it, UNTIL ...... I started syncing my PDA with my PC, then found that ActiveSync and the Davis Software would fight over a COM port. If Activesync won, the software then couldn't communicate with the Weather Station, resulting in problems updating the website. :lol:

Yeh active sync is crud. Which version are you using???