Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

My summer forecast is basically cool/wet for western Canada and adjacent northwest U.S., otherwise hot for most of the central, southwest and eastern U.S. into southern Ontario. Eastern Canada closer to normal. An active storm track from southern Alberta and Montana, east across the prairies and N. Dakota into Minnesota, central Ontario and u.p. Michigan, then into southern Quebec and northern New England. All of this probably means near normal for eastern Newfoundland (may be an active tropical season) and rather unsettled for Alberta and B.C., although I think it will tend to improve in late July and August.

We have had quite a bit of rain locally in the past four days (since Sunday).

Posted

Just when I thought was safe to pack away the winter gear, a cool week on the cards, saw a few snow flakes this morning and chance of a couple of cm's this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Just when I thought was safe to pack away the winter gear, a cool week on the cards, saw a few snow flakes this morning and chance of a couple of cm's this evening.

Its Canada. One thing you learn is you never pack away the winter gear

Posted

Its Canada. One thing you learn is you never pack away the winter gear

Lol true, I suppose the UK can lull you into a false sense of security at times though seems to even greater swings here from 20+ wearing sleeves and shorts and sunburn one day to back to a thick jacket the next.

I read this on the EC special weather statement which made me chuckle:

Also, please note that the official frost warning season for

Newfoundland begins June 1st.

I suppose frost isn't the norm in June but enough to have a warning system in place so people can cover plants etc I assume.

Posted

Lol true, I suppose the UK can lull you into a false sense of security at times though seems to even greater swings here from 20+ wearing sleeves and shorts and sunburn one day to back to a thick jacket the next.

I read this on the EC special weather statement which made me chuckle:

I suppose frost isn't the norm in June but enough to have a warning system in place so people can cover plants etc I assume.

I witnessed 4 inches of snow and snow falling in mid July 2010 in Jasper..the only month of the year i haven't seen snow is August but it has happened

Posted

I have had snow every month of the year settled here - August 31 we had 3 inches of snow af ew years back - after 30oC the week before.

Posted

Southern Ontario has snowfall extreme dates that are more similar to the UK. My personal weather station extreme dates for accumulating snow were May 25th and Sept 30th. Probably saw a few flurries a week or two outside those dates and the Toronto extremes from the 19th century include snowflake trace events in mid-June and mid-August (not repeated in 20th). A bit further north it is not unusual for snow to fall in northern Ontario in early June or early September. Here on the coast I doubt that anyone alive has seen snow at low elevations in June through September, but there was a report from a 16th century Spanish expedition of snow on hills near sea level on Vancouver Island in June. Not too sure if that was for real, maybe they got a quick glimpse of Mount Waddington in the Coast Ranges through low overcast.

Of course the real difference from the UK is not the snowfall extreme dates, but what happens in between. But on that score, some parts of southwest B.C. probably fit into the UK climate range although I would imagine with somewhat higher annual average and extreme values. It is not unusual for this location to have a virtually snow-free winter once every ten or twenty years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I remember snow falling and settling in patches in Calgary in July 1999. We then headed West towards the Rockies and treated to a amazing display of snow covering the mountains from top to bottom pretty unusual for High Summer. I remember the car park at Lake Louise the following day after the snow fell, and the snow was piled high at the sides of the car park, it really was like being and feeling it was January rather than July. It wont be something I will ever forget!!!!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

We had snow flurries all morning yesterday, cold strong Northerly wind you would of thought it was January than almost June. Cold Northerly looks like the theme for the next week or so, par for the course though the heat in parts of April/May were unusual and a bonus

Posted

Snow may be coming down the mountains by late Tuesday as strong low pressure moves past Calgary into the prairies. Not sure if it will snow at valley level but it won't be much above that by Tuesday night.

We had thunder and a torrential shower here earlier, now all three of Canada's largest cities have had a deluge in the past three days. Montreal and then Toronto got severe flooding of some underpasses and the train stations oddly enough, ours was not as severe and in any case we are engineered for heavy rain here.

Posted

Had some big storms for the 2nd night running i find North American storms totally different to those witnessed in the UK.

Posted

It's a mess here. Storms and very heavy rain all night and tornado's in some parts of Alberta. We have roads flooded, trails washed away, rivers flowing high and fast and another 2-3 inches forecast today. Hoping no more flooding occurs here. Big storms last night - one strike hit a tree just behind us.

I agree CM, storms do seem different and what gets me is the rumbles here in the mountains go on for 20-30 seconds each time and then starts again, almost like its one long rumble for as long as the storm lasts. Hard to sleep.

Posted

Still dont see where this hot dry summer is going to come from...looks like a crappy 5-7 days coming up...Calgary sunniest city in Canada my a**e!

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted

The long range forecast for a long hot summer came from the same guys who said we would have the coldest winter in 20 years and we all know what happened there

Posted

6 hours of snow here in Canmore and 10cm's of the white stuff, melting quickly now though and lots of flooding. Rivers running very high

post-4391-0-60208500-1339278521_thumb.jp

june9snowvid.MOV

Posted

6 hours of snow here in Canmore and 10cm's of the white stuff, melting quickly now though and lots of flooding. Rivers running very high

Was a pretty miserable weekend here too...although we had no snow (phew) was cold and thundery on Sat and very windy and cool yesterday...still nice today for 1 day rest of week looks cool and wet again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter
Posted

Old, but 20cm in NE Manitoba!!!

http://www.theweathe...page_topstories

Pack it in!..i have had enough of snow..no more thank you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

ok, not sure if this is the right place...

If I enter an eastern US place in the NW worldwide forecast thingy, it is currently showing the daytime temps as 10C or so lower than the nighttime temps, consistently over the next week. Is this because the clock's out of sync, or do they really have upside down temps?

edit - i'm entering Burlington, Vermont.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Not to worry chaps, I'm just a dippy angel delight and the temps there really are hot in the day and cool at night. Thanks for all your help.

Posted

Another rubbish June in Alberta it has pretty much rained every day so far this month in Calgary..where is this hot dry summer we were promised..and why are all the summers i have been here been so crap?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Another rubbish June in Alberta it has pretty much rained every day so far this month in Calgary..where is this hot dry summer we were promised..and why are all the summers i have been here been so crap?

Who forecast that, CM?

Posted

Who forecast that, CM?

Accuweather and Environment Canada (Canada's Met Office)..although EC said warmer and drier than average..whilst Accuweather went for hot and dry..mind you they predicted a frigid winter on the prairies for 2011-12 and it turned out to be the 2nd mildest on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Accuweather and Environment Canada (Canada's Met Office)..although EC said warmer and drier than average..whilst Accuweather went for hot and dry..mind you they predicted a frigid winter on the prairies for 2011-12 and it turned out to be the 2nd mildest on record.

The 'usual suspects' then!Posted Image