Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Posted

yuck. I would imagine standing on a boat anywhere near there would be pretty slimey at the moment. Do you happen to know how many more lifetimes it will be before Anak Krakatau reaches the size of it's predecessor, Viking? I have to confess to being intrigued by the possibility of another krakatau disaster on a similar scale in the distant future, or is the volcano building itself in a different way?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Interesting item about Yellowstone. It appears that the Yellowstone caldera has risen by 7 inches at a rate of 2.8 inches per year, the biggest rise ever recorded. It appears the chamber below is filling with magma. The full news item can be found here:

Reuters news article

A gentle response to the article here. http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/2007/upsanddowns.html

You may find a webcam for Anak here http://krakmon.vsi.esdm.go.id/today/camera.html

Edited by The PIT

Guest Viking141
yuck. I would imagine standing on a boat anywhere near there would be pretty slimey at the moment. Do you happen to know how many more lifetimes it will be before Anak Krakatau reaches the size of it's predecessor, Viking? I have to confess to being intrigued by the possibility of another krakatau disaster on a similar scale in the distant future, or is the volcano building itself in a different way?

Size is not necessarily important with regard to major eruptions, it has more to do with the magma underground than what is above ground. In living memory Krakatau has had two cataclysmic eruptions, one in 416AD and ther famous one in 1883 so 1467 years apart. The new volcano, Anak Krakatau, appeared in 1927 in the spot where the 1883 cone blew itself to smithereens so this suggests the system which created the previous explosions is still highly active. The current island of Anak Krakatau is growing at the rate of 5 inches per week.

Posted

ah ha... so, assuming a lifespan of 70 years, that's about 20 consecutive lifetimes. You know, history seems pretty darned short when you look at it in those terms!

At 5 inches a week, It seems fair to say that it'll be at least centuries before it reaches it's previous size (a long time at least... I don't do math without a calculator. lol) Thanks for the info... very useful.

Was krakatau's 1883 eruption the last eruption of it's size, or has there been a bigger since that isn't so well known? (or a volcano the potential for something on that scale to come within the realms of my lifetime (I'm 25 lol)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Kelut is interesting as activity is still ongoing. They don't seem sure whether it's a dome that's growing the in the lake or part of the old plug being forced upwards. Either way there's still a good chance that it'll produce a fairly large eurption depending on whether the magma chamber is releasing it's energy or not.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Kelut is interesting as activity is still ongoing. They don't seem sure whether it's a dome that's growing the in the lake or part of the old plug being forced upwards. Either way there's still a good chance that it'll produce a fairly large eurption depending on whether the magma chamber is releasing it's energy or not.

Indeed, Vesuvius is also another volcano with a magma plug and had a little rumble this morning...

http://www.ov.ingv.it/seismogroup-file/monitor/BKEV2.gif

I have also been looking around and found this site, with several Siberian volcanoes on high alert and one in Alaska...

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/

One of the volcanoes on ORANGE alert is Mount Chikurachki, which is an 1816 metre high stratovolcano, and has erupted thirteen times since 1690, with two major eruptions (VEI4+), the last of which was in 1986, and several smaller eruptions, most recently in 2005...

2025.jpg

091068.jpg

Another volcano currently on ORANGE alert is Mount Karymsky, which is 1536 mtres high and has a long eruptive history, with records dating back to 6600BC, only three major eruptions have occured in that time, and none in the last 4000 years, so that while eruptions are frequent, this volcano poses little danger, this volcano is currently erupting, and here are some pictures..

NightExplosion21Dec05.jpg

Krm07092007_0655UTC.jpg

The bottom picture was taken in September 2007.

Another of the Siberian volcanoes on ORANGE alert is Mount Bezymianny, which is 2882 metres high, most interestingly, it was actually considered extinct until 1955 when it woke up with a massive lateral eruption, very similar to the eruption of Mount Saint Helens and was VEI5 on strength, since its awakening, it has more than made up for its 1000 years of inactivity by erupting more than 40 times, almost once every year, here are some pictures..

Bzm2006July31_Girina1.jpg

024045.jpg

The final of the Siberian volcanoes on orange alert is Mount Sheveluch, which is 3283 metres high and has erupted over 60 times during the Holecene, with three major eruptions in the past 150 years, the last which began in 1999 and is still ongoing, here are some pictures...

Shvl29March2007.jpg

S070423c.jpg

Both photos are from 2007..

The only other active volcano in the region is Mount Cleveland in Alaska, which is 1730 metres high and has erupted around 20 times in the past 120 years, though there have been no major eruptions, and the last eruption was in 2006, here are some pictures...

1186184166_57_3.JPG

1186163529_57_8.JPG

Guest Viking141

Hi all, another round-up of global volcanic activity for you.

Africa/Middle East

Ol Doinyo Lengai (Tanzania)

This volcano continues to be active with daily ash eruptions reported and occasional night-time lava eruptions. According to Toulouse VAAC, based on pilot observations an eruption was reported on 6 November.

Jebel At Tair

This small volcanic island in the Red Sea continues to be active since the eruption which took place on 30 September.Since then the MODIS satellite has detected thermal anomalies at the island every single day to date.

Kamchatka/Kuriles

Bezymianniy (Kamchatka)

On 5 November several explosions or lava front collapses took place at Bezymianniy on 5 Nov. There were also two avalanches from an ash plume. Satellite imagery also revealed a thermal anomaly over the lava dome. The alert state remains at YELLOW.

Karymsky (Kamchatka)

According to KVERT, seismic activity remains at above background levels at Karymsky. Ash explosions have occured which have been visible on satellitet images although cloud cover has largely obscured the volcano for a greater part of the time. The alert state at this volcano remains at ORANGE.

Shiveluch (Kamchatka)

Again seismic activity at this volcano is above background levels. An ash plume rose to an altitude of 22,300ft and hot avalanches have occured. A thermal anomaly has been present in the crater every day and the alert level remains at ORANGE.

Americas

Colima (Mexico)

During the period 31 Oct - 1 Nov Colima emitted vapour and ash plumes up to heights of 14,800ft and according to the Washington VAAC an ash plume drifted North on 1 Nov.

Galeras (Colombia)

INGEOMINAS reports steam and ash plumes rising from Galeras to 18,700ft during Oct 29 - 4 Nov and the alert state remains at 3 (On a scale of 4-1).

Kilauea (Hawaii)

The fissure eruption continues to feed a slowly advancing lava flow and several lava tubes which have burned kipukas (small islands of vegetation surrounded by lava flows). Small earthquakes were located beneath the summit, Halema'uma'u crater , along the east rift zone and the south flank faults. On 3-4 Nov an unusally large number of tremors occured beneath the south flank faults.

Tungurahua (Ecuador)

Ash and steam plumes have risen to heights of 26,000ft during the last couple of weeks, puntuated by occasional explosions. Ashfall was reported in several areas downwind of the volcano every day. Roars were heard and incandescant blocks were seen at the summit during the last week. On 4 Nov the road to Banos was temporarily closed due to Lahars.

UPDATE - ANAK KRAKATAU

Latest reports from Indonesia state that Anak Krakatau continues to provide a spectacular pyrotechnics display. Reports overnight say that at one point the volcano let out an almighty roar, which for a time concerned vulcanologists monitoring the volcano, fearing a major eruption was in the offing. This blasted a large cloud of smoke and rocks high into the air and a river of lava and rocks ran down into the sea.

Edited by Viking141

Posted
UPDATE - ANAK KRAKATAU

Latest reports from Indonesia state that Anak Krakatau continues to provide a spectacular pyrotechnics display. Reports overnight say that at one point the volcano let out an almighty roar, which for a time concerned vulcanologists monitoring the volcano, fearing a major eruption was in the offing. This blasted a large cloud of smoke and rocks high into the air and a river of lava and rocks ran down into the sea.

I couldn't even begin to imagine some of the sounds this volcano is making! It must be scarey as hell but totally awesome at the same time!

Posted

Mount st Helens

The lava dome continues to grow although low rates of seismicity puntuated by two small earthquakes do not suggest eruoption is imminent.

Yellowstone

Earthquake activity in the Yellowstone region is at low background levels and the Yellowstone caldera continued moving upward at similar to slightly lower rates of the past year.

Long valley

The Long Valley Caldera and covers a 4000-square-km area straddling the eastern Sierra Nevada. The younger system, the Mono-Inyo Craters volcanic chain, is localized along a narrow, north-trending fissure system that extends from south of Mammoth Mountain.These smaller eruptions have erupted at intervals of 700 to 250 years, the most recent eruptions being from Panum Crater and the Inyo Craters 500 to 600 years ago , and Paoha Island about 250 years ago.During the last week six earthquakes occured in the Long Valley region of which one was detected under the resurgent dome.Carbon dioxide (CO2) gas at the emissions which are killing the trees continue at Horseshoe Lake near Mammoth Mountain. The alert level is normal suggesting no eruption is imminent.

Volcanoes currently on alert include

Arenal costa rica

Bagana PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Bezymianny KAMCHATKA

Bulusan PHILIPPINES

Chikurachki KURILE IS.

Cleveland ALEUTIAN IS.

Colima MEXICO

Dukono Indonesia

Erta Ale Ethiopia

Fuego GUATEMALA

Galeras Columbia

Gamkonora HALMAHERA

Huila Colimbia

Ijen Java

Karangetang SANGIHE IS.

Karymsky KAMCHATKA

Karthala Indian ocean

Kelut java

Kerinci SUMATRA

Kilauea Hawaii

Krakatau Indonesia

Manam PAPUA NEW GUINEA

Marapi SUMATRA

Mauna Loa Hawaii

Mayon PHILIPPINES

Merapi Java

Mt. Erebus Antarctica

Mt. Etna SICILY

Ngauruhoe NEW ZEALAND

Nyamuragira C Africa

Nyiragongo C Africa

Pagan MARIANA IS.

Pacaya GUATEMALA

Papandayan Java

Piton dela Fournaise INDIAN OCEAN

Popocatepetl Mexico

Rabaul New Britain

Reventador Ecuador

Ruapehu New Zealand

Sakura-Jima Japan

Sangay Ecuador

Santa Maria GUATEMALA

Semeru Java

Sheveluch KAMCHATKA

Sierra Negra GALAPAGOS IS.

Slamet Java

Soputan SULAWESI

Soufriere Hills WEST INDIES

Stromboli Italy

Suwanose-Jima Japan

Taal PHILIPPINES

Talang SUMATRA

Telica NICARAGUA

Tungurahua Ecuador

Turrialba Costa Rica

Ubinas Peru

Ulawun New Britain

Villarrica Chile

White Is. New Zealand

Yasur South Pacific.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Hi all, as you will have noticed i have undergone a "re-branding" LOL! This thread will remain Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread because thats who I was when I started it but all my entries will now be under my new nom-de-plume!

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Why the change of name Vikes/Shetland Coastie, have you been struck by a bout of envy for the Ptarmigan in his winter plumage and thought if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me?

Guest Shetland Coastie
Why the change of name Vikes/Shetland Coastie, have you been struck by a bout of envy for the Ptarmigan in his winter plumage and thought if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me?

Just felt like a change tbh. Have had the handle Viking141 for a long time and have used it on other sites as well as this one and thought it was about time for a change to reflect who and what I am now.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Guest Shetland Coastie
great new logo shetland coastie :)

Wintergoose

Im sure Her Majestys Coastguard will be delighted you approve Wintergoose! More down to my lack of originality Im afraid! :)

Hope to have another update done tomorrow folks.

Guest Shetland Coastie
Just looking a what has been posted on here, there's alot of activity with volcanoes

around the earth at mo. Is this quite normal, or it mother earth just trying to get herself

comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wintergoose

Hi Wintergoose. This question has cropped up a few times and I have asked those who should know, some experts at the USGS! They say there is no discernable increase in overall volcanic activity recently. Certain parts of the world seem extremely active at the moment, Indonesia and Kamchatka being two examples but aparrently in the grand scheme of things nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have just read some of your diary of a Coastie link, brilliant :) I find the distress flair problem annoying just sat here reading about it :lol: It should be made law that all flairs are accountable and have to be handed in when they pass their use by dates. If they can look after guns properly with legislation then they can do the same with flairs IMO.

Oh yes, no doubt you will have to start a new volcanic activity thread now, with a new title :)

Regards,

Russ

Guest Shetland Coastie

Cheers Russ, no I'll still keep this one going despite the name change!

Apologies to all that I havent been able to update as promised as I have been rather busy this last few days. Will get another update done asap.

Cheers

Coastie

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - KAMCHATKA/KURILES

ALERT STATES:

ORANGE: BEZYMIANNIY, SHEVELUCH & KARYMSKY

YELLOW: CHIKURAKCHI

GREEN: MUTNOVSKY,GORELY, ALAID & EBEKO

BEZYMIANNIY

KVERT is warning of the possibility of strong eruptions with ash explosions up to heights of 32,800ft next week. Seismic activity is above background levels, bright gas/steam plumes have been observed from the volcano and a persistent thermal anomaly has been detected on satellite imagery throughout the past week.

SHEVELUCH

Growth of the lava dome in this volcano continues and KVERT is warning of an explosive eruption at any time. Again, seismic activitiy is above normal background levels and during the past week many shallow volcanic tremors were recorded. Ash plumes and hot avalanches have been occuring all week and a new effusive lava flow travelled down the SW flank on the 9th November. Satellite imagery

detected a large thermal anomaly which has been there all week.

KARYMSKY

The intermittent eruption of this volcano continues with ash explosions up to heights of 19,700ft although seismic activity was at or near background levels last week, however, numerous volcanic tremors were recorded. Observations of the volcano have been hampered by low cloud.

The picture below is a recent picture of Bezymianniy:

post-4448-1195423205_thumb.jpg

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - INDONESIA/SE ASIA

KELUT (INDONESIA)

After the recent near-eruption activity continues at Kelut. The temperature of the crater lake remains elevated at 75C and the newly exposed lava dome varies between 150-210C. The lava dome is now some 250m in diameter and rises some 120m above the surface of the crater lake. An ash plume rose form the volcano on 11 Nov and ashfall was reported in nearby villages.

ANAK KRAKATAU (INDONESIA)

Gas and ash plumes continue to rise from this volcano and seismicity is still at elevated levels. Lava flows have been seen travelling down the flanks and the volcano continues to eject hot rocks. The alert level remains at 3 (on a scale of 1-4)

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - AMERICAS

KILAEUA (HAWAII)

The fissure eruption which began on 21st July continues with lava continuing to feed an east-going lava tube from a shallow magma reservoir beneath the Pu'u O'o crater. This is accompanied by occasional incandescence near to the Pu'u Kia'I.

post-4448-1195449023_thumb.jpg

Photo above is an aerial view of the entire tube/lava flow system (courtesy USGS HVO)

MOUNT ST HELENS (WASHINGTON STATE)

Latest update from the USGS CVO (Cascades Volcano Obersvatory) states the current lava dome growth at St Helens continues with low level seismic activity, occasionally punctuated by larger events, low amounts of steam and gas and minor ash production. Clouds have hampered observations over the last few days. The Aviation Concern Colour Code remains at ORANGE.

TUGURUHUA (ECUADOR)

Our old friend Tunguruhua continues to grumble away! Ash and steam plumes continue to be vented up to heights of 30,000ft, with occasional "roars" and "cannon shots." Ashfall has been reported in multiple locations to the N and NW of the volcano. A lahar travelled down the SW flank on one occasion and incadescant blocks were ejected from the crater and travlled several hundred metres down the flanks.

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - STROMBOLI

After the major eruption back in March, sporadic activity continues at Stromboli. Actovoty still centres around the crater terrace which was the location of the March eruption with five vents still being quite active, although the terrace has subsided about 100m since March. Lava fountains from a vent in the SW crater were observed during the last week with occasional lava spattering from the active vents every hour or so.

Below is a photo of the recent vent activity (courtesy Stromboli Online)

post-4448-1195450386_thumb.jpg

Posted
UPDATE - STROMBOLI

After the major eruption back in March, sporadic activity continues at Stromboli. Actovoty still centres around the crater terrace which was the location of the March eruption with five vents still being quite active, although the terrace has subsided about 100m since March. Lava fountains from a vent in the SW crater were observed during the last week with occasional lava spattering from the active vents every hour or so.

Below is a photo of the recent vent activity (courtesy Stromboli Online)

post-4448-1195450386_thumb.jpg

http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cf...p;volpage=erupt

The current eruption is VEI2, so not major (VEI4), nice to look at though.