Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

I think we're fairly close to action stations now! The seismic activity seen over the last couple of days, repeated small earthquakes, seems to, if anything, have increased in amplitude over the past couple of hours. At the moment there is some cloud obscuring the volcano but this appears to be clearing so hopefully we should get some clearer views shortly.

Hut webcam

DFR webcam

summit webicorder

Edited by Shetland Coastie

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

Webcams have cleared now and there is a very strong steam plume rising from the volcano. Seismicity continues at very elevated levels.

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

Almost constant volcanic tremor now accompanied by vigourous steaming and some ash production. High number of rockfalls from the increasingly unstable lava dome so an explosive dome collapse can only be hours away.

Unfortunately the webcams are now obscured by low cloud, dammit!

Guest Shetland Coastie

INCREASE IN ALERT AT ANOTHER ALASKAN VOLCANO

Whilst we await the likely eruption of Mount Redoubt another Alaskan volcano, Veniaminof, has been showing signs of increased activity.

AVO has raised the alert state at the volcano to YELLOW, following a sharp increase in seismic activity. This is a "significant change from normal background activity" according to AVO and steaming has been noted from the summit crater. Volcanic earthquakes are registering at the rate of 5-10 per hour across the seismic network.

Veniaminof webicorder

Posted

Another one to keep an eye on:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/article/19174.html

'Indonesia has raised the warning level for Mount Anak Krakatau in the Sunda Strait to one level below its top alert, as the volcano becomes increasingly active and spews ash, geologists said on Thursday.'

'"[Anak Krakatau] poses a high threat because the eruptions have started spreading,” said Surono, the head of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG).

He said the volcano has been spewing molten lava up to 1,000 meters into the air this week.'

Guest Shetland Coastie
Another one to keep an eye on:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/article/19174.html

'Indonesia has raised the warning level for Mount Anak Krakatau in the Sunda Strait to one level below its top alert, as the volcano becomes increasingly active and spews ash, geologists said on Thursday.'

'"[Anak Krakatau] poses a high threat because the eruptions have started spreading,” said Surono, the head of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Center (PVMBG).

He said the volcano has been spewing molten lava up to 1,000 meters into the air this week.'

Indeed Lady P that now makes 5 Indonesian volcanos on ORANGE alert with Anak Krakatau joining Slamet, Ibu, Semeru & Karangetang.

A further 12 are at YELLOW alert.

Guest Shetland Coastie

POSSIBLE ERUPTION - NYIRAGONGO - DR CONGO - AFRICA

Early reports suggest that Nyiargongo in Africa has erupted. Reports are very sketchy at the moment bu satellite imagery suggest thermal anomalies in both the crater and on the flanks of the volcano suggesting either a central crater eruption with lava flows on the flanks or perhaps an eruption from vents on the flanks. More to follow when the picture becomes clearer.

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - VENIAMINOF - ALASKA

Webcam link for you below:

Veniaminof webcam

This webcam is situated some 35km from the volcano in Perryville. The volcano is on the left of the picture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Bob, I must ask, is there any research that shows increased levels of volcanic or seismic activity coming in a sequence, or is it generally random? It just seems to me that there has been a significant upturn in volcanic activity in particular.

My own hypothesis, as a total layman, is that if I had the time to research I would notice an upturn in seismic and volcanic activity from 26/12/2004, with the Indian Ocean earthquake acting as the first domino toppling in a long line.

Guest Shetland Coastie
Bob, I must ask, is there any research that shows increased levels of volcanic or seismic activity coming in a sequence, or is it generally random? It just seems to me that there has been a significant upturn in volcanic activity in particular.

My own hypothesis, as a total layman, is that if I had the time to research I would notice an upturn in seismic and volcanic activity from 26/12/2004, with the Indian Ocean earthquake acting as the first domino toppling in a long line.

Hi AM, it does seem like it doesn't it? I asked the good folks at the Global Volcanism Program (run by the Smithsonian Institute) this very question about a year or so ago and they said then no, there was no noticeable increase. However, you're not th only one who's asked this question and I did say a month or so ago I would leave it for a wee while to see if this level of activity continued and would ask again. I think, given all that is going on, that time has now come and I'll ask them what they think. I'll also ask one or two others as well to get a broader view and see what they think and I'll post what I found out.

Also, your point about earthquakes perhaps triggering subsequent volcanic activity is a good one and has again been discussed on here before. As it stands at the moment, there is no clearly established link between the two, although many scientists and indeed many of us on here, are fairly convinced there is a link and it would seem to make sense, driven as they are, by the same processes, i.e. plate tectonics.

Posted

Veniaminof webcam

This webcam is situated some 35km from the volcano in Perryville. The volcano is on the left of the picture.

What a beautiful sight seing the volcano with that thick covering of pure white snow! And we are well into May!

Although i love volcanic eruptions, i find it a shame when they cause the melting of the snow...

Karyo

Posted

Veniaminof webcam

Hi SC,

It seems that the webcam is out of action at the moment, and that image is dated March 17th.

Guest Shetland Coastie
Hi SC,

It seems that the webcam is out of action at the moment, and that image is dated March 17th.

LOL well spotted! :rolleyes:

Posted

Redoubt is showing more activity - small explosive type behavior it looks like. Building up to another big bang, maybe?

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webicorders/Redoubt/RSO_EHZ_AV.php

Therw was a question earlier about increased volcanic activity - have a look at these:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1989JGR....9417371S

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2002AGUFMPP61A0298A

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/17/6341.full#otherarticles

Chicken, meet egg... Do volcanoes cause cooler weather or does cooler weather cause an increase in volcanic activity... hmm...

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

Seismic activity has lessened somewhat over the past 36 hours although it does seem to be punctuated by occasional larger amplitude quakes. This may, however, be due to large rockfalls from the increasingly unstable lava dome and AVO state that despite this, it does not in any way lessen the likelihood of an explosive dome collapse in the very near future.

There is still a vigorous steam and gas plume emanating from the volcano which occasionally contains ash. Nice clear views on the webcams today.

Hut webcam

DFR webcam

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE NYIRAGONGO/NYAMURAGIRA - DR CONGO - AFRICA

Contrary to earlier reports, Nyiragongo does not appear to have erupted as yet, althought the Goma Volcano Observatory are warning that an eruption is imminent from both volcanos.

A field trip to the volcanos has revealed elevated seismic activity, gas emission and pooling of lava althought the lava level is said to be fairly low so the threat to the nearby city of Goma is not considered to be immediate. According to the head of the observatory, Dieudonne Wafula, the volcanos could erupt "any time, it could be in two days, or a week or two but not later than two months from now".

BBC Report

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - VOLCANIC ACTIVITY

Earlier, Anti-Mild asked if there had been any increase in volcanic activity over recent years. As I said before, the Global Volcanism Program run by the Smithsonian Institute was fairly certain there hadn't been when I asked them this question about a year ago. But in light of what seems to be an 'upswing' over the last 6 monts or so I said I would ask again. This is what Ed Venzke, from GVP had to say:

Hi Bob,

No, there really hasn’t been any unusual surge in activity, just normal variations. Sometimes it’s “busy” and other times it’s “slow” but it all evens out. Sometimes it only seems busy because something happens to interest the news media, and then for a short time they report all kinds of stuff.

So their position remains that the current level activity is not unusual. I have also e-mailed a couple of other people including some vulcanologists, to see what they think so I'll let you know what they think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
UPDATE - VOLCANIC ACTIVITY

Earlier, Anti-Mild asked if there had been any increase in volcanic activity over recent years. As I said before, the Global Volcanism Program run by the Smithsonian Institute was fairly certain there hadn't been when I asked them this question about a year ago. But in light of what seems to be an 'upswing' over the last 6 monts or so I said I would ask again. This is what Ed Venzke, from GVP had to say:

Hi Bob,

No, there really hasn’t been any unusual surge in activity, just normal variations. Sometimes it’s “busy” and other times it’s “slow” but it all evens out. Sometimes it only seems busy because something happens to interest the news media, and then for a short time they report all kinds of stuff.

So their position remains that the current level activity is not unusual. I have also e-mailed a couple of other people including some vulcanologists, to see what they think so I'll let you know what they think.

Many thanks Bob.

Hmmm, now imagine that you had contacted the MetOffice or NOAA about the recent cooler temperatures and had gotten a reply like that one. What would you think?

It sounds a bit much like spin to me. I admit it could just be as Mr Venzke suggests, but it does seem unusually active at the moment.

Also, something occurred to me earlier; I seem to remember reading something a few years back about a link between a weakened magnetic field and increased tectonic movement. Any thoughts anybody?

Edited by Anti-Mild

Guest Shetland Coastie
Many thanks Bob.

Hmmm, now imagine that you had contacted the MetOffice or NOAA about the recent cooler temperatures and had gotten a reply like that one. What would you think?

It sounds a bit much like spin to me. I admit it could just be as Mr Venzke suggests, but it does seem unusually active at the moment.

Also, something occurred to me earlier; I seem to remember reading something a few years back about a link between a weakened magnetic field and increased tectonic movement. Any thoughts anybody?

I think we probably need to wait and see for a bit longer yet. If this current spell of activity wanes over the next few months then fine, GVP is right. If, however, this just goes on and on, or even increases, then they may need to have a bit of a rethink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

There's a suggestion that there is a link between low solar activity and increased volcanic activity, and while there does seem to be a loose correlation I am yet to be fully convinced.

Guest Shetland Coastie

Seismicity remains elevated with small earthquakes and volcanic tremor being recorded across the sismic network which seems concentrated in and around the main cone. Nothing else unusual at the moment and the volcano remains at YELLOW alert.

Veniaminof webicorder

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT - ALASKA

Clear webcam pictures today which clearly show the precarious state of the lava dome and also the vigorous steam/gas plume emanating from it. The lava dome could easily collapse or give way at any time, leading to what could be a large explosion.

Seimsicity continues to be elevated with numerous small quakes and volcanic tremor, punctuated by regular, larger amplitude quakes.

Hut webcam

Guest Shetland Coastie
wow....is that how big the lava domes can get or is that larger or smaller or no set size?

Hi ukwg, actually thats a fairly average sized lava dome and is nothing compared to the one on top of Chaiten at the moment!

Guest Shetland Coastie

UPDATE - REDOUBT

Elevated seismicity continues. Clear views again today on the webcams and the lava dome seems to be increasingly precarious. AVO agree, saying in their latest bulletin:

"The growing lava dome at the summit may be increasingly unstable. An explosive event could occur with little or no warning."

Hut webcam

Still image taken from the hut webcam showing the lava dome:

post-4448-1242064234_thumb.jpg