Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps, Current and Future

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning,

Nice fall of snow last night. Clouds breaking . Temp currently -5C. Local Met forecast more by Friday as a frontal zone develops across the Alps ?.

C

Posted

Hi Carinthian,

I am off to Maryhofen on Saturday, and here is hoping to a few more cms of snow.

I believe there is approx 60cms on top at the moment, but I am sure more is to fall.

Looking forward to downing a few Zillertal's (never got a hangover off them).

Any forecast for this area from yourself would be very appreciated,

Dallas :)

Posted
Hi Carinthian,

I am off to Maryhofen on Saturday, and here is hoping to a few more cms of snow.

I believe there is approx 60cms on top at the moment, but I am sure more is to fall.

Looking forward to downing a few Zillertal's (never got a hangover off them).

Any forecast for this area from yourself would be very appreciated,

Dallas :rolleyes:

Hi Dallas,

I know the area very well. Austrian Met Service is forecasting widespread snowfall above 1200 m for next weekend with the Atlantic jet pushing well into the region. This should produce some moisture and cyclonic activity. Certainly resorts a bit further up the valley( Lanersbach at 1300m) and Tuxer glacier lift complex with delightful glacier ski-ing at 3000m above Hintertux will be in top form. Worth the 16km bus trip up there. Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy Mayerhofen, the classic Tirolean legend,beer by the gallon-even a gentle little ski-ing.

Time for my cheese and pine needle toastie.

Enjoy your holiday and Prost!

Posted

Carinthain,

Thanks for your info, excitement building now, two more shifts left then time to pack.

What level of skier do you need to be to ski a glacier?

All the reports agree with you that the best ski-ing can be found on them,

Cheers Dallas

Posted
Carinthain,

Thanks for your info, excitement building now, two more shifts left then time to pack.

What level of skier do you need to be to ski a glacier?

All the reports agree with you that the best ski-ing can be found on them,

Cheers Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Easy to moderate cruising runs on the glacier. If I can remember, a good lift system is employed up there but can be very cold and windy at times. I would say no great experience is required, but pick your day with good visibility. Enjoy !

C

Posted
Hi Dallas,

Easy to moderate cruising runs on the glacier. If I can remember, a good lift system is employed up there but can be very cold and windy at times. I would say no great experience is required, but pick your day with good visibility. Enjoy !

C

Thanks a bundle Carinthain,

Dallas :)

Posted

More snowfall overnight.Wind NWly. Temp now -6C.

C

Posted

Morning all,

About 60cm measured snow depth in the garden last evening. More snowfall overnight. Overcast with air temp a lot warmer now at 1c. Looks like upper air temps across the Alps on the rise again for the next 48 hours. I have noticed some unseasonable high temperatures over France this morning pushing into Germany, Switzerland and now into the Eastern Alps.

Lets hope it gets sqeezed out again for the arrival of the ski-ing influx this weekend.

C

Posted

At our house in the central-west of France the fratilleries are out already which according to local media is early for there micro-climate and i have some photos of bees busy at work already! :rofl:

Posted

Morning,

Another cloudy start to the day. Light snowfall with temp of -4C. Runs are empty this week. Low season in this part of Austria.

C

Posted
Morning,

Another cloudy start to the day. Light snowfall with temp of -4C. Runs are empty this week. Low season in this part of Austria.

C

Evening,

Clouds have lifted this afternoon. Spring sunshine. Temps now back to below zero. Reports of some unseasonable warmth today in the Southern Alpine Regions. ( ie France/ Italian area) . Still on the cold side in much of Austria for time being anyway. Weekend looks likely to busy due to the excellent conditions on the mountain.

C

As if we needed any proof about altitiude making a difference, webcams here at linked resorts Morzine and Avoriaz in Southern France, Morzine 1000m, Avoriaz 1800m.

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-ch-portesdusoleil&big=92 (Morzine)

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-ch-portesd...riaz&big=16 (Avoriaz)

And to think, last winter, the Pleney slopes in Morzine were completely covered with snow into April, and the conditions now are very similar to those right at the end of April.

A very poor season for lower slopes this year.

Posted
Evening,

Clouds have lifted this afternoon. Spring sunshine. Temps now back to below zero. Reports of some unseasonable warmth today in the Southern Alpine Regions. ( ie France/ Italian area) . Still on the cold side in much of Austria for time being anyway. Weekend looks likely to busy due to the excellent conditions on the mountain.

C

Morning,

A fine mild start to the day. Temps now 3C. Looks like that plume of warm air over France and Switzerland yesterday has made in roads into the Eastern Alps. Max today could reach 8C at 1500m. Thats enough to start some slushy conditions on the lower slopes into the village. Still a good covering generally with pistes maintaining a very good base.

C

Posted
Morning,

A fine mild start to the day. Temps now 3C. Looks like that plume of warm air over France and Switzerland yesterday has made in roads into the Eastern Alps. Max today could reach 8C at 1500m. Thats enough to start some slushy conditions on the lower slopes into the village. Still a good covering generally with pistes maintaining a very good base.

C

Morning,

Reached 7.5C in the garden yesterday. Frost last night -3.7C. Nice spring like dawn, clear skies with some rolling fog in the St Micheal valley. Some warmth in the sunshine expected today with a light breeze. Max could reach +8C even at 1641m ASL. All runs into village open, although could get slushly by early afternoon on the more southerly slopes on the St Peter side of the Katschberg mountain.

C

Posted

Morning all,

Widespread fresh snowfall in the Hohe Tauern this morning. Looks like its falling as rain below 1000m. Temp currently -2.5C.

C

Posted
Morning all,

Widespread fresh snowfall in the Hohe Tauern this morning. Looks like its falling as rain below 1000m. Temp currently -2.5C.

C

Morning,

Yesterdays snow and cloud lifted overnight. Expecting a brighter day today with sunshine breaking through. Temp currently -5C snow depth measured at 45 cm in garden this morning.

C

Posted
you got any pictures of the snow to post as we have had a lack it here! :unsure:

Hi Kelly,

I have not yet mastered the art of sending pictures via the internet, however you should be able to view some live cam pictures of the village on this site : katschicam at.

Let me know if anyone can view this site .

Thanks

C

Posted
yes i have found it. cheers

the full web link is http://www.katschi.at/kamera_feratel/Katsc...ameraStream.htm if anyone else wants to take a look.

looking very white up there. :unsure:

hI Kelly,

Glad you found it. I will now put it on my favourite list. That streaming view is of the black run above the village. There are lots of runs, mostly blue and red into the village. Because the village is so high by Austrian standards all the runs are to your door step. Its a great place to ski and visit. I know that Neilson ski have included it in their winter broucher and can be viewed on their web site.

Enjoy the views.

C

Posted

Afternoon,

Just got the Austrian Met info on this past winter. Officially, the mildest since meteorological records started in 1915/16. Exceptionally mild in all states recording 2 to 4 C above normal winter values and fresh snowfall about 55% of normal recordings. The lowest temperature recorded this winter was on 27/01/07 at -19.3C and that was in my part of the woods in The Lungau/Michael region.

C

Posted
yes i have found it. cheers

the full web link is http://www.katschi.at/kamera_feratel/Katsc...ameraStream.htm if anyone else wants to take a look.

looking very white up there. :)

Hi all,

Stunning day today. Great views from the top of Katschberg Mountain of the Gross Glockner and the Sonnblink glaciers. A great day for sitting out and drinking Muhr brewed beer and getting a sun tan.

Cheers

C

Posted
Hi all,

Stunning day today. Great views from the top of Katschberg Mountain of the Gross Glockner and the Sonnblink glaciers. A great day for sitting out and drinking Muhr brewed beer and getting a sun tan.

Cheers

C

Morning all,

Another sparkling day in the Eastern Alps. A pocket of warm air over the region today. Could see some high temperatures in the region with a start of snow melt. Forecast is for a continuation of mild conditions in Austria, but looks as if the French resorts may get some much needed snowfall next week.

C

Posted
Afternoon,

Just got the Austrian Met info on this past winter. Officially, the mildest since meteorological records started in 1915/16. Exceptionally mild in all states recording 2 to 4 C above normal winter values and fresh snowfall about 55% of normal recordings. The lowest temperature recorded this winter was on 27/01/07 at -19.3C and that was in my part of the woods in The Lungau/Michael region.

C

Morning all,

Another sparkling morning. Light frost last night. Reached +10C yesterday. Hopefully see some renewed cold with snow next week. Starting to get slushy on south facing slopes and runs below 1500m. Good for the sun tan and drinking Murh beer though!

C

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
Morning all,

Another sparkling morning. Light frost last night. Reached +10C yesterday. Hopefully see some renewed cold with snow next week. Starting to get slushy on south facing slopes and runs below 1500m. Good for the sun tan and drinking Murh beer though!

C

Sound as though you are enjoying yourself mate, thanks for the picture by the way, fantastic view, looks as though more snow will reach you soon as the colder air edges south, have a cool beer on me :whistling:

Paul