Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Significant Tornado Hits North West London!!

Posted

well it would seem that the storm that woke me at 11'is was the remnants of the tornado that hit the west of the town. just watching tv and the damage is massive :doh:

Posted

Title of Thread changed, as a Tornado that snaps a Tree and destroys houses is "NOT" Mini in any stretch of the imagination, also have seen clips of the police calling it a Mini Hurricane Lol

Paul S

Posted

there is another squall line to the south of london now building, peter cockcroft is reporting "don't think we will have any more tornadoes" famous last words!

Posted
Title of Thread changed, as a Tornado that snaps a Tree and destroys houses is "NOT" Mini in any stretch of the imagination, also have seen clips of the police calling it a Mini Hurricane Lol

Paul S

Damn straight. I'm getting tired of the media using the words 'mini tornado' when no such term exists. If anything they should be using the Fujita scale classification or just saying the word 'tornado'.

Btw, I hope that guy with head injuries makes it, I also hope that people don't hang around in that street either - some building parts could fall on them.

Posted

Paul S

Sorry Paul, but it's a real bugbear of mine. Kensal Rise is not Harlesden!

The Beeb make the same mistake - anything that happens between Paddington and Wembley normally gets ascribed to Harlesden, especially if it's criminal.

Posted

Well, gusty winds were forecast for the south-east for the first part of today and with considerable amount of upper shear...but i wouldn't expect conditions to produce a tornado.

Think I heard F4 used on the news. Is that on par with Brum?

:doh:

I hope not. That would cause total devastation in London!

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

I saw that myself, but yet again, the media are reporting it as a 'Mini' Tornado :doh:

Posted
there is another squall line to the south of london now building, peter cockcroft is reporting "don't think we will have any more tornadoes" famous last words!

Anything goes mate, we've had an hour+ of further squalls rapidly moving ESE. Definite CBs, lightning has been detected in the region, high gusts of wind, sleet, hail around probably.

Posted
I saw that myself, but yet again, the media are reporting it as a 'Mini' Tornado :doh:

One lady said it only lasted about 60 seconds. Hence why there is prob not more widespread damage.

Posted

Thanks Paul for changing the title!

It's certainly being called plenty of things! I think the people affected by this would certainly not think it was "small" or "mini"! :doh:

Posted
One lady said it only lasted about 60 seconds. Hence why there is prob not more widespread damage.

Indeed, I've just seen the BBC news report and it doesn't show any roofs actually ripped off, mostly tiles.

Posted

This storm came right over us in Heathrow. Everone in the office were looking out of the window as there were a couple of great lightening bolts and then the trees outside the window were bending right over. There are a lot of broken baranches down there that came off them. I didn't see any formation of a tornado but it was the blackest sky I have seen in this country in a long while. I suspect it was the same cell but hadn't quite formed up yet.

Posted

with thanks to the official TORRO site, this was, repeat was, their synoptic overview before the London tornado this lunch time

SYNOPSIS

Upper trough moving in from the west, with DCVA providing ascent on its leading edge. Minor perturbations in the upper flow causing lines of showers and thunderstorms to develop in an environment characterized by marginal wind shear for severe weather.

THREATS

Bands of showers and thunderstorms producing marginally severe weather, including wind gusts to 50-55mph, hail 10-15mm diameter, perhaps locally accumulating, occasional cloud-ground lightning and briefly torrential rain.

these are the experts. If they don;t predict them then there is not much hope for the rest of us to be able to do it, be it the UK Met O or whoever.

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Tornadoes in December!

Never heard of that before.

Kain

Posted
Indeed, I've just seen the BBC news report and it doesn't show any roofs actually ripped off, mostly tiles.

Well they arn't showing much then! I just saw a ITV reporter down there and roofs off and walls broken down!

Posted
mild, floods, storms n tornadoes, laminate floor global warming

Ah, gotcha :doh:

Posted
Well they arn't showing much then! I just saw a ITV reporter down there and roofs off and walls broken down!

Well, that's BBC news for you. Always reserved and censoring things.

:doh:

Posted

Well as i mentioned in the storm report thread, the rain did go horizontal for about a minuite and i thought then that a tornado was dropping.

Ok im nowhere near where that one dropped but the wind was very violent for a while.

Posted

Man on sky news says it was so dark he couldn't see anything, like smoke the clouds were so dark, flashes of lightning!

...he was at a bus stop...waiting for a bus :doh:

Posted
Tornadoes in December!

Never heard of that before.

Kain

Kane the record outbreak for the Uk was on November 23rd 1981, with just shy of 120 Tornadoes reported in 1 day, this time of year has always been the Uks biggest threat as Cold Fronts are more sharp this time of year when you have a Southerly flow ahead of it.

Will change the thread title again to be NW London Lol

Paul S