Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2007 set to be the world's hottest year yet

Angel15

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

This was on the news this morning as well Angel, as we have only just started the year though I think they are a being a little presumptuous!

Posted
This was on the news this morning as well Angel, as we have only just started the year though I think they are a being a little presumptuous!

I hope so - probs just a load of hype anyway!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I don't think the research is just 'hype' as the info is easily checked. Personaly it would not surprise me to find Global temps high over the next 12 months (doesn't instantly mean heatwaves for the UK though!). Lets see what the ice min. is in the Arctic this year and whether or not the polynya's open up again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's the standard sensationalist article- quote some statistics, put appropriate spin onto them, and then go off on a tangent talking about motorists. One of these days, I'm hoping that the environmentalists will realise that exaggerating in order to "frighten" politicians into taking destructive, short-termist Draconian measures, or the public into cutting out non-work-related driving, isn't an effective way of getting people to want to take action.

In all likelihood, the stats themselves will be accurate; the Met Office and the University of East Anglia contain groups of reputable scientists who are more interested in generating scientific fact than political spin.

It might be the warmest year on record due to the El Nino, but it's a bit premature to give an article on it this early in the year. The stats are open to question themselves, some sources (e.g. NOAA) actually have 2005 as slightly warmer globally than 1998 was, due to the exceptionally warm Arctic.

The above said, I'll be the first to admit that the planet is warming up, that the rate of warming is a concern, and that action needs to be taken.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Very much agree TWS.

Assuming it was right in the end and this headline was correct come 2007, It wouldn't necessarily take a boiling hot summer to break the record, all it would take is every month in the year to clear the average CET by 1-2C in ever month, that would actually clear the record by a long way, and probably create some worrying results.

The headline is clever though there's no doubt. In a time when record breaking temperatures are not uncommon, they have chosen the right time to pin up a sensationalist headline (as stated by TWS) and to be honest maybe in 20-30 years the headline won't be so sensationalist, but right now it's probably unlikely that we will beat the record two years in a row, because if it did happen that would be extremely worrying and in my opinion I don't think we have got to that point with climate change just yet!

Posted
I don't think the research is just 'hype' as the info is easily checked. Personaly it would not surprise me to find Global temps high over the next 12 months (doesn't instantly mean heatwaves for the UK though!). Lets see what the ice min. is in the Arctic this year and whether or not the polynya's open up again.

I agree Gray Wolf - I meant hype re the hot summer - I am definitely of the opinion we are globally warming to dangerous levels for the planet as a whole though - and yes it will be interesting to see re the Artic.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Sorry to bring back up a dead topic but I think this is looking a little off right now. Firstly with 2005, we not only had a hot Arctic but we had a boiling Atlantic and we had so many hurricanes that obviously there was going to be massive heat pumped northwards with them.

As for 2007 being the warmest year ever, had we kept El nino then it'd have been possible but El nino is just about dead right now and is likely to be replaced by quite a long stretch of La nina/neutral condtions. It would therefore take somewhere else to have a massivly warm year on a continental scale to make up for it.

Posted
Sorry to bring back up a dead topic but I think this is looking a little off right now. Firstly with 2005, we not only had a hot Arctic but we had a boiling Atlantic and we had so many hurricanes that obviously there was going to be massive heat pumped northwards with them.

As for 2007 being the warmest year ever, had we kept El nino then it'd have been possible but El nino is just about dead right now and is likely to be replaced by quite a long stretch of La nina/neutral condtions. It would therefore take somewhere else to have a massivly warm year on a continental scale to make up for it.

Maybe...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

January 2007 was, averaged globally, the warmest on record:

Posted

Intresting, but it'll be this month that really tells what will happen, esp when you remember that El Nino was only just starting to decay by the latter half of Jan plus you had the left-over heat thanks to that amazingly warm year last year, it was always going to take some time to reduce that when you've still got te El nino and its effects present, the N.Hemisphere pattern actually didn't change till mid-month. I'd guess that Feb won't be a record breaker, though probably still within the top 3. Will be intresting to also see what impact that massive thrust of cold into Asia and Europe will have as well.

Saying that we are now in global times when things like El nino and La nina don't een seem to matter so much, i dread to think how above average we'd be if we got another 98 type El nino, I'd guess we'd be looking at as much as 2C above average!

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Agreed Mr D. and if that trend were to establish (increased cloudyness/rain due to increased evaporation in the Atlantic) then people may take the warming more serious than if we just shifted to a more 'continental' (6 weeks of sunshine over summer) type climate.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Globally, i do not think that we will see the warmest year on record however i do think that the Arctic will be warmer than last year, though i expect the mid-lattitudes to be cooler.

Posted

"There is no natural weather any more. It is man-made and the current heavy rainfall and gales is symptomatic of climate change."

Am I the only person here who thinks this quote is utter b*llocks?

Posted
"There is no natural weather any more. It is man-made and the current heavy rainfall and gales is symptomatic of climate change."

No, you're not the only one, its a highly spurious throwaway line without any backup given.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

No, who's quote is that? This year I think will not match last year for heat and the signs IMO will be there as we go through a relatively poor spring.

BFTP

Posted

Have a look at the NW of Spain and SW of France today to see if you think this is a 'taste of things to come'!

Posted

woah, almost 80f ,lol. That is just funny, okay we're not 'that far' from summer now, but still, thats pretty impressive, not too far away from London.

Calrissian: awaiting a dramatically steamy 2007 weather year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Have a look at the NW of Spain and SW of France today to see if you think this is a 'taste of things to come'!

Not for long...is this a taste of things to come?

Here

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

I`m gonna use this excuse to finally acquire a proper air conditioner to combat the stifling heat that prevents a good nights kip!

(anyone know of an economic quiet effective branded model then pls PM me? )

if large quantities of life's leisures arn't administered prior of course :whistling:

Dosn't seem two minutes since we had the hot nites of last July?

Posted
I`m gonna use this excuse to finally acquire a proper air conditioner to combat the stifling heat that prevents a good nights kip!

(anyone know of an economic quiet effective branded model then pls PM me? )

if large quantities of life's leisures arn't administered prior of course :cc_confused:

Dosn't seem two minutes since we had the hot nites of last July?

We have a little lad who dopesn't 'self regulate' his temperature very well so cold or hot isn't good for him. Cold is easier to deal with (put a fan heater on and point it his way) as , once the facric of the building has 'heated up', it continues to radiate heat throughout the night. This equates to living in an oven on the hottest days of the year!! not fun.

Posted

No-you're not alone! I quite agree with you!

The Meto actually said,"The latest Met Office forecast shows there is a 60 per cent probability 2007 will be at least as warm as 1998, which was 0.52C above the long-term average calculated between 1961 and 1990."

So there's a 40% chance that it won't be. Pretty good odds for William Hill, Joe Coral et.al!!

Cheers,

Mike

aNorthEast.gifcLeftTop.gifcRightTop.gifcLeftBottom.gifcRightBottom.gif

Posted
We have a little lad who dopesn't 'self regulate' his temperature very well so cold or hot isn't good for him. Cold is easier to deal with (put a fan heater on and point it his way) as , once the facric of the building has 'heated up', it continues to radiate heat throughout the night. This equates to living in an oven on the hottest days of the year!! not fun.

Like your lad I have trouble regulating my body temp. I'm not looking forward to a stifling summer and being stuck in front of an AC unit trying to keep cool. :cc_confused: