Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
OK, that's gone and done it, it has not done it for three years!! Now I get there at 6.30.am. and the water in my horses bucket-in his stable is frozen solid!! And just to add insult to injury the darn tap is frozen and thats indoors too. :):)

sorry to hear that karren

its also going to get even colder all this week

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
Overcast and still here with temps about 1c. Snow falling slowly and lightly during the last hour or two - got a bit steadier and heavier in the last 10 mins or so.

Nice to at least see some snow falling in view of this time around being in the most unfavourable area later this week.

Tamara

Morning Tamara

Here we did not have a frost and the temp according to my car is 2C we have clear skies with fluffy clouds. Nice to hear you have snow. I am looking forward to all the pics this week and if i don't get snow then maybe next time. I always seem to be on the edge of the snow bands and just get a sprinkling one day i will be in the middle of it. :)

Guest Viking141

This "cold spell" seems to have no oomph to it at all.There is absolutely nothing here and what sleet/snow there has been has beeen very wet. I wouldnt get you hopes up too much folks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
This "cold spell" seems to have no oomph to it at all.There is absolutely nothing here and what sleet/snow there has been has beeen very wet. I wouldnt get you hopes up too much folks.

Remember though that SSTs are still above average, around 7C around Shetland. With it being such a small land mass the sea will have a great affect in keeping the temperatures up. What was the lowest temperature you got last night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A fair cluster of showers heading NNE-SSW towards the Tyne & Wear region according to the N-W Extra radar; it should be making landfall this afternoon, though I think with temps of around 3-4C by that time they won't settle at low levels.

I thought "non-event" yesterday when I got a max of 6.4C and the temp was hovering at around 3.5C for most of last evening, but the cold has certainly intensified since then, with a min of -2.6C last night.

The showers are associated with some slightly less cold upper air than the upper air that brought my minimum of -2.6C- it remains to be seen how significant that warm sector is. Lerwick's report of wet snow suggests marginal wet snow here at most, but Aberdeen's reports are consistent with a higher likelihood of accumulations tonight from those showers. May well be that here on the coast we will have snow showers, and initial accumulations this evening, followed by wet wintry mixes as an easterly drift establishes.

Guest Viking141
Remember though that SSTs are still above average, around 7C around Shetland. With it being such a small land mass the sea will have a great affect in keeping the temperatures up. What was the lowest temperature you got last night?

Hi, min was 1.2C. Currently 4.6C and dewpoint 0.3C so not cold enough really.The last cold snap had more bite than this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
Down to -4.9C in central York last night - not bad going for a low lying city centre :cold:

where abouts in York do live at what are your opinions on snow later this week for us, doesnt help being so low down in a valley,

vizzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Some good snow here last night, got 2cm in Heswall, but travelling into uni the amounts declined over East Wirral and Liverpool, there was no snow in Liverpool city centre but some sprinklings of snow in the suburbs.

Posted

Freezing cold day in West Wiltshire with freezing fog only clearing to hazy sun in the last hour. Temp didn't get above -2c until about 10.30 and has literally just crawled above freezing with the sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

This is the first warning of disruption due to Heavy Snow. The Met Office is expecting a period of heavy snow to develop across Southwest England and much of Wales during Wednesday night and this is expected to extend across the Midlands, London, the Southeast of England and East Anglia during Thursday morning. There is also a risk that the snow will extend into parts of northern England for a time before dying away from all areas during Thursday afternoon. Accumulations of 2-5cm are expected quite widely inland, with 10-15cm possible for parts of the Midlands and Wales. Rain is more likely close to southern coasts where less cold air is expected. The period of snow could cause disruption to travel networks, especially across high level routes and the fact that timing of this event will coincide with the morning rush-hour. This warning will be updated by 1100 tomorrow, Wednesday 7th February 2007.

www.met-office.gov.uk

Not convinced. Although, the met have to cover this slight possibility.

Posted

Mmmmm....looks like parts of Northern England may not get as much snow as initially first thought? I'm wondering with the rain band on thursday set to be in Northern England parts by around early afternoon, if it will be cold enough to turn it to snow? Too many times I have seen Atlantic Systems come up against cold air, and quickly turn any sleet/snow back to rain.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Seems pretty accurate to me, though sadly its my day off college on thursday, so i gain nothing.

Posted
Woohoo I am in the 70% chance of disruption map, for once.

cool last night but no air frost at my location 1.1 deg the lowest temp, under cloud cover.

nothing too severe yet.

Posted

pretty much all we can do now is wait and see. I don't think the models are going to be able to tell us much more now untill it is actually happening. Will switch over o this thread for a few days I think and join the radar watching crew. :cc_confused: In the mean time the bbc has snow forecast or the midlands this afternoon. i'm not sure where they are getting this from as there is no sign of anythingon the radar , although it keeps coming up in there tv forecasts and is on there regional 24hr forecast for 1500 hours. A few flakes in the air will assist in getting me in the mood for thursday. I't does look as though any snow in my area may stick aroun for a bit wihout melting and also looks like there is the possibilty of a good 24 hours worth of snow, as the lastest fax looks like its going to e slow moving over the midlands. The tv forecast are going to have no choice but go into thursday by tonight so that should be intresting.

pretty much all we can do now is wait and see. I don't think the models are going to be able to tell us much more now untill it is actually happening. Will switch over o this thread for a few days I think and join the radar watching crew. :) In the mean time the bbc has snow forecast or the midlands this afternoon. i'm not sure where they are getting this from as there is no sign of anythingon the radar , although it keeps coming up in there tv forecasts and is on there regional 24hr forecast for 1500 hours. A few flakes in the air will assist in getting me in the mood for thursday. I't does look as though any snow in my area may stick aroun for a bit wihout melting and also looks like there is the possibilty of a good 24 hours worth of snow, as the lastest fax looks like its going to e slow moving over the midlands. The tv forecast are going to have no choice but go into thursday by tonight so that should be intresting.

Yep,nail biting stuff. It's looking good for once here in valleys. I really hope this comes off because this winter has been awful up until now and this may be our last good chance. Let's just hope for more upgrades.

Posted

Yep,nail biting stuff. It's looking good for once here in valleys. I really hope this comes off because this winter has been awful up until now and this may be our last good chance. Let's just hope for more upgrades.

[/quote

it's not looking to bad today for some showers for you is it ? they mean mentionioning snow showers on and off all day for wales :)

it's not looking to bad today for some showers for you is it ? they mean mentionioning snow showers on and off all day for wales :)

Hmm, can't see anything on the radar. Cloud is clearing now leaving clear blue skies. Putting my hopes on tomorrow night.

Archived