Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Will it snow in......?

Posted
What about Bacup on the Lancs/West Yorkshire Border, at 325m asl or are we too far north to catch this one?

Bacup and especially the surounding villiages usually do pretty well for snowfall due the altitude. If there is any snow in the area at all you will get it there. I remeber when I was a kid there would quite often be 6 inches of snow in Weir and and nothing at all in Burnley.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
Bacup and especially the surounding villiages usually do pretty well for snowfall due the altitude. If there is any snow in the area at all you will get it there. I remeber when I was a kid there would quite often be 6 inches of snow in Weir and and nothing at all in Burnley.

Many thanks for that, we have had some really good falls in previous years, but I have only lived in the "North" for 3 years and now it keeps snowing in London!!

Fingers crossed

Shadowfax

Posted

Go easy on me peeps...i'm only a mod.

What about the chances of snow in Derby (we're right on the south side, against the A50, Jn3)?

It better be good, as i've rearranged my meeting to see the snow avoid bad traffic :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
I guess that'll be rain for me then ... :(

Eh? if any PPN does reach this far North I would of though it would be snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I think for Merseyside (I know there'll be a few of you wondering) the heavy snow will lie through Wirral, up to about Crosby where that will be northern limit of any significant snow) Maybe lighter snow as north as St Helens/Wigan

Posted
Eh? if any PPN does reach this far North I would of though it would be snow.

Well I'd love it to snow, but I'm right on the coast so probably will be sleet.

If I expect it to snow and it does'nt I get disappointed. If I don't think it will snow and it does I can be pleasantly surprised.

:(

Posted

I think that people who are "too far North" for tomorrows event should start paying closer attention to the model output for friday into sunday, as there could well be some fun and games for Northern England and Scotland this weekend should the GFS become a little less progressive with its Atlantic Low for tomorrows event. The UKMO looks promising for snow for Northerners after friday so take heart from that for now. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow
I think for Merseyside (I know there'll be a few of you wondering) the heavy snow will lie through Wirral, up to about Crosby where that will be northern limit of any significant snow) Maybe lighter snow as north as St Helens/Wigan

Great I'm about 5 minutes away from St. Helens, Lighter snow for me then. :(

Still could be surprised though I suppose (hope)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Great I'm about 5 minutes away from St. Helens, Lighter snow for me then. :(

Still could be surprised though I suppose (hope)!

Doesnt mean you wouldnt see snow on the ground, just means that you might see 1-2cm instead of 2-5cm further south!

Posted

OK, I've got to ask (just for my little girl, who has never seen snow before, of course :( ). How much white stuff am I going to get in St. Albans?

Posted

This is exciting stuff, my weather station for the first time in over a year!! says snow is on the way...... I thought it was broke when it was showing snowing flakes lol.

Does experience on here think leeds could be in for snow, or shall I take my station back.........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
This is exciting stuff, my weather station for the first time in over a year!! says snow is on the way...... I thought it was broke when it was showing snowing flakes lol.

Does experience on here think leeds could be in for snow, or shall I take my station back.........

I'm hoping for nothing as then the chance of significant Snow on Saturday increases.

Posted
I'm hoping for nothing as then the chance of significant Snow on Saturday increases.

I know, but Thursday is in a realistic timeframe, and Saturday seems ssssooooooooooooo far away.

If I get any at all I will be a happy cookie. :D

Posted
Hi Mike,

Irish Met Service has just issued their warning as expected.

Issued at 07 February 2007 - 11:55

Severe Weather Alert- Snow

Warning of significant snow fall tonight, Wednesday night, and also for a time Thursday morning.

General :

Very cold and frosty this evening.

A spell of rain and sleet in south Munster this afternoon, will extend northwards this evening and tonight, and will fall as snow in many places.

Moderate to high accumulations of snow can be expected and some drifting is likely in the strong easterly winds.

Areas most at risk are Ulster, Connacht and much of Leinster and north Munster.

Snow amounts of 3 to 6 cm expected generally, but locally 8 to 10 cm, especially parts of the north Midlands and Ulster.

Much of south Munster and the far south of Leinster should see only small amounts of snow, if any, and this mainly on mountains and high ground, but some heavy falls of rain are likely.

Thanks for that, Delq. Most useful. My roots are in Roscommon (Ballinlough), hence the more than passing interest. Sounds like you'll hopefully get something substantial tonight and tomorrow. Whatever happens, stay safe and warm, preferably snowed into the local bar!! :D That's what I'm aiming for!

Best wishes,

Mike.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The GFS6z has upgraded the snow potential in my area in that while the same amount falls, precipitation does not turn to sleet as it did on the GFS0z.

10cm (6z)

8cm (12z)

2cm (0z)

9cm (6z)

6cm (12z)

11cm (0z)

11cm (6z)

Posted
Ok i live in redditch in the 90% bracket so the only question ive got left is how windy will it get because with between 10-15cm of snow we could get some wicked drifts any answers?

XCWeather are forecasting windspeeds of 10 to 20 mph at Birmingham Airport for tomorrow morning.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike.

Posted

High up in the north cotswolds - what do others reckon ? 5cm, 10cm I'm hoping 15 cm. I can get my skies out if so. Brilliant round here when we have snow - just a few to many hedges .

Please don't disappoint me....

Posted
OK, I've got to ask (just for my little girl, who has never seen snow before, of course :rolleyes: ). How much white stuff am I going to get in St. Albans?

Bucket loads Roo. Might turn a wee bit slushy/sleety come 10am.

Archived