Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold spell general discussion pt3 (merged with snow event)

pottyprof

Posted

Thats quite a bitter night but I'd expect nothing else from this sort of set-up, as I said it did have the hallmarks of a bitter night and indeed it was bitter, not record breakingly cold mind you but hardly mild, hehehe!

lots of -8/9C as you mention nick, and lots of places below -5C, coldest night of the winter easily.

By the way, loved the latest forecast, my area nearly holds onto the snow the whole way thorugh, just turns back to rain on the back-edge. I'm personally hoping that it snows for a while then the back edge dies away so it won't melt any smnow that does manage to settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

currently minus 7 up from a low of minus 7.3 - coldest this winter so far (or is that it)

Posted

Radio 4's morning forecast was more bullish than the late night one. It mentioned widespread snowfall except for the coast.

Either way, petition to have the M4 relocated to just off the South coast? :)

Posted
hi all snow is on the way for london i think is going to be the worst for

at least 10 years. I think we will have a min 5cm :)

You telling me london gonna have snow again :lol:

I thought it would start as snow then turn to rain... which in my opinion is not worth coming away from the computer, opening the curtains to watch :)

Sorry but im getting very confused by this setup :) for my area.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

0800, still -6C over some central areas, -7C in N.Ireland. Milder air (forst free) across far SW though:

post-1052-1170837602_thumb.png

Posted

I really like snow, and the model watching of the last few days has been great (if frustrating).

However, the snow talk around the main office here is driving me up the wall. Everyone is an expert, and they've just been talking about the snow already hitting the M25, so its on its way here for tomorrow, because someones friend just sent them a text saying they were in a light snow shower!!!!!!! Then someone else speculating that an audit (happening a week on Monday) might be cancelled with all the snow.... Good grief.

I found myself wishing that it all turns to rain and nothing much happens just to annoy them!

After logging back on here, I'm now back to my normal self, looking forward to following the radar through tonight/tomorrow morning, and hoping the Telford snow magnet is working.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

-3.3c here with overnight and year low of -3.6c. All is covered in a white frosting and is glistening in the clear, sunny skies. Doesn't half hurt on a bike though!

Posted

Temperature hit -8.0C at 0600 this morning in nearby Besnon. Now up to -6C. Coldest morning of the winter for many areas.

Posted

-6.9 °C on tuesday and -9.4 °C last night. Was hoping for a -10 °C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Radio 4's morning forecast was more bullish than the late night one. It mentioned widespread snowfall except for the coast.

Either way, petition to have the M4 relocated to just off the South coast? ;)

You've got my vote. Nowt but a very, very slight dusting last year, and the year before oh and the year before that and guess what, the year before that too. Lived here for seven years (near Bath) and we've only ever had more than an inch twice, both gone within hours. I'm at 194 asl and we still get rain or at best sleet. Bah humbug! Praying for some tonight but I doubt it.

Posted

Low of -6.2c here from last night making it the coldest since 2003, frost melted already in the sunnier spots.

Paul Sherman

Posted

Well thats a total change from what i was reading and hearing earlier..... Just seen the latest bbc news 24 waether.. london is gonna get snow, and nope it aint gonna turn back to rain ;)

Makes a bloody change ;)

Posted

I'm so confused about the snow tomorrow. There's still a weather warning for Cambridgeshire on the Met Office website, although if you look at the five-day forecast, tomorrow is going to be cloudy with no snow. Radio Cambs said there would be sleet tomorrow turning to rain by late morning and raining tomorrow afternoon - no accumulatations of snow.

Grrrrrrr.......anyone hazard a guess as to what on earth is going to happen tonmorrow?

Posted
You've got my vote. Nowt but a very, very slight dusting last year, and the year before oh and the year before that and guess what, the year before that too. Lived here for seven years (near Bath) and we've only ever had more than an inch twice, both gone within hours. I'm at 194 asl and we still get rain or at best sleet. Bah humbug! Praying for some tonight but I doubt it.

Hi can you enter your location into your profile ;)

Posted
I'm so confused about the snow tomorrow. There's still a weather warning for Cambridgeshire on the Met Office website, although if you look at the five-day forecast, tomorrow is going to be cloudy with no snow. Radio Cambs said there would be sleet tomorrow turning to rain by late morning and raining tomorrow afternoon - no accumulatations of snow.

Grrrrrrr.......anyone hazard a guess as to what on earth is going to happen tonmorrow?

watch the next news24 weather report..... should make you happy ;)

Posted

from looking a temps , charts and everything else available on the internet , I would expect snow in your area by 6am tomorrow morning. I'm expecting this front to move in quicker than bbc think and will hit lower temps as a result. Your not in a really bad possistion seig as london is going to get pasted.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

lol ;):clap:

Just caught a weather forecast on the BBC before I leave. It was a classic! I know it was meant to be just an update as it was at quarter past but all she said was 'Good morning, if you live in England, Ireland or Wales chances are you are going to wake up to snow tomorrow. Take care' Talk about cover all eventualities.

;)

Sorry mods but I have posted this in media thread too. Just couldn't resisit sharing as it made me laugh. ;)

Edited by eveeeinessex

Posted

It seems to be looking better than it did for snowfall in my area at the moment. Could anyone give me approximate accumulations for Grantham in South Lincolnshire. Thanks.

Posted

5cm possibily upto 10 on higher routes. It could start to fizzle out over your area so you could get a longer period of snow.

Posted
from looking a temps , charts and everything else available on the internet , I would expect snow in your area by 6am tomorrow morning. I'm expecting this front to move in quicker than bbc think and will hit lower temps as a result. Your not in a really bad possistion seig as london is going to get pasted.

I hope so - I've never known weather on such a knife-edge. Thanks for your replies.