Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold spell general discussion pt3 (merged with snow event)

pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderate snow now falling.....settling too.

I dont like to blow my own trumpet, but what did I just say about 5 minutes ago? :doh:

FINALLY you have snow! See, I told you the PMA would work, Positive Mental Attitude guys, its what its all about to get snow to come to you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
God God, is it not snowing at your place yet?

It needs to get its skates on, I've got to go to bed and be up at 5am.

Well, where IS it snowing and HOW deep?

Most places around Newcastle, South Shields, North Shields, Most of Tyne and Wear by the sounds of it.

A couple of people have said 2 inches but people always over estimate, possibly more like 2 cm.

Stopped snowing here but it's not melting one bit :doh:

Posted
Unbelievably small snowflakes now falling....very light too.

It's a start.

Thank the good lord.. We can all rest in the knowledge that the whining from the NE will stop.. :) I bet he's like Oliver though.. Please!! I want more!! :doh:

Posted
I dont like to blow my own trumpet, but what did I just say about 5 minutes ago? :doh:

FINALLY you have snow! See, I told you the PMA would work, Positive Mental Attitude guys, its what its all about to get snow to come to you :)

I think there may be a grain of truth in that.

I have a dusting from a NNE'rly!!!

This is friggin incredible!

Posted

Andy is there any chance you can stay up for the 00z and do the same!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Nice to see you have dismantled the Durham shield from your sig.

Looks like a break after this bit of snow then the next bit looks even better :doh:

Posted
Andy is there any chance you can stay up for the 00z and do the same!

Possibly Brian :)

I like the look of this beauty of a forecast for the East Midlands on Thursday :)

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Unsettled and generally cold. Sleet, snow and strong winds, clearing later Friday, giving significant accumulations in places. Wet and windy on Saturday, preceded by hill snow for a time.

Did I see the word significant?? :doh:

Posted

Lads....don't expect much from this shower-band. It's very hit and miss and most of the showers are coastal....5cm is probably a maximum expected covering for most areas by daylight (if that).

Here's hoping it goes against the script and peps up and we all get hammered.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Well the radar shows snow above and all around me, yet I have broken cloud :doh: .

No real big bank of orange snow cloud on the horizon.

Posted
still nothing in middlesbrough looks to be more cloud further north west not north east from me

That's seriously unlucky. We've had several showers over the river in Stockton and it's snowing again now.

Posted
Yeh its not surprising with the snow showers likely to be up there through the night! I will be expecting the BBC and Met Office to be showing a severe weather warning this time tomorrow night regarding many parts of England for snow :) That probably just jinxed it now though, if it goes belly up at the last minute then its me you can blame :)

Persian, I expect you to get pasted soon mate, those showers are heading right for you, keep us updated wont ya :) I predict in less than 10 mins you will be telling us you have snow.

Yes it does sound rather nice the significant word Andy :)

By the way cool signature! (great band). :doh:

Posted
Yes it does sound rather nice the significant word Andy :)

By the way cool signature! (great band). :)

I think you are in a good place to see snow on Saturday Brian :) Thursday may be a bit hit and miss at the moment but Saturday looks promising for you thats for sure! Something else aswell... I wonder if you have looked at the latest radar image? Those snow showers look to be heading in a line inland and heading for your area? I may be wrong but I wouldnt bet against you seeing something tonight :doh:

Posted

Just as a record, boring though it is compared to news from the north east, but temps here are down between -2 and -3 degrees. Though a low of -3.5 was reached at 12.25.

I think you are in a good place to see snow on Saturday Brian :) Thursday may be a bit hit and miss at the moment but Saturday looks promising for you thats for sure! Something else aswell... I wonder if you have looked at the latest radar image? Those snow showers look to be heading in a line inland and heading for your area? I may be wrong but I wouldnt bet against you seeing something tonight :doh:

I hadnt noticed your sig before. Muse are my favourite band (probably, well more often than any other band).

Posted

They're talented musicians....but I can't stand there whiny vocals.

Keane are my personal fave.

Edited by PersianPaladin

After seeing some of the reports this evening in terms of Current Conditions my optimism regarding snow as opposed to rain on Thursday has increased somewhat-

In marginal situations whereby thicknesses are a little high we are reliant on a cold wedge of surface air to deliver the Snow-

Well the obs tonight have certainly clarified that the cold surface air will be well & truly entrenched come say 4AM Thursday Morning-

For my locale to read a -5C which im expecting now overnight is pretty rare & with this now comes a lower maxima forecast tomorrow-

I would hazard a guess that by 6pm tomorrow a large swathe of the UK will already be below freezing-

When the frontal zone does arrive the timing looks to be around perfect- with minimas bottoming out towards -6 even -7/-8...

You will get some warming ahead of the front but the recovery will have to come from a long way down for most areas-

tonights observations have really impressed me........

S

Posted

Tell ya what, temps are really low tonight!! -8 recorded in Shap in the north-west, -7 at Tulloch Bridge in Scotland and even a -7 at Birmingham Airport, just 35 miles west of me! Temp is around -4 where I am now but just 12 miles up the road in Coalville they are recording -5, so I wouldnt be surprised if some areas see as low as -9 by 6am, certainly Shap could see -9 and I wouldn't be surprised if Birmingham Airport dropped another degree by 6am either!

Posted

I noticed that too Andy on the Radar, but all I have is patchy cloud at the moment.

But I would have thought that I'd get something before daylight.

Yeah we all play Instruments In my house,

My son and I both play the guitar, and I used to play the drums and my daughters pretty hot on the piano.

Music is my first love really, and Muse are high on my list of Class bands. :)

Edited by grab my graupels