Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold spell general discussion pt3 (merged with snow event)

pottyprof

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
I've often wondered why this website is now called netweather.TV???

All last night I was thinking the same thing PP, I was thinking *the site changed to .tv from .com around 6 months ago (I think) and I wondered why it was called .tv because it hasn't got a tv channel has it?

Posted

Yes nice to see you got some snow PP, snow still on the ground here - and doesnt really look like melting before the next lot comes!

[/quote

does that mean wigan is gonna get hit stephen or will we miss out again :D

Posted

It's just frustrating watching all those snow showers in the north sea being wasted.....I wish the wind would switch to more of a north-easterly here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

13:30 radar shows that the front has made landfall, so i thought it would be a good time to start a dedicated thread.

According to www.xcweather.co.uk, dewpoints are below 0C accross much of Ireland, though the air temperature is around 3C under the precipitation, so i'm not sure what is falling.

It looks to me as if there are two bands, with the amin one just coming on the radar now.

Posted

All those lucky people with Netweather Xtra, check out the 5 minute radar...

....the band of ppn has appeared!!! :D

Looks impressive!

A night of lampost watching in store...

smich

Posted
All last night I was thinking the same thing PP, I was thinking *the site changed to .tv from .com around 6 months ago (I think) and I wondered why it was called .tv because it hasn't got a tv channel has it?

changed to .tv as hosted in Tuvalu, in the S Pacific. .tv is just a country prefix like .uk.

welcome to the south pacific! Don't think you'll be wanting to hula on the beach later though PP. looks a bit chilly.

Posted

The main band does indeed look impressive, with a lot of moderate precipitation.

The Met Office colours go up in 0.5 increments, so green and yellow precipitation is precipitation falling at 1-2cm per hour, i think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and bitterly cold winters with lots of snow

Is it just me or does the front look like it may be moving further North than anticipated, or is that just me being hopeful? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, inc Snow and Wind

Not looking too good for anyone south of the M4 according to this updated BBC chart, whether it is correct or not is another story!

Chart shown at 3am

post-5004-1170858153_thumb.jpg

Courtesy of the BBC

Posted

I just mentioned this on the general cold discussion!

All us lucky NW Extra subscribers will be quids in tonight :D

smich

Posted

Yes thats about right SB, net-weather extra does show a little isolated higher amounts though. intrestingly looking at the radar it does appear that the front is already starting to pivot away from the NNW-SSE its had over the last coupld of hours or so.

A weak band being thrown ahead of it, probably a weak torugh/front which may wel lgive a little snowfall to the moors in the SW but at lower levels will likely fall as rain, at least right now.

Posted

theresnoway that is for when the front first hits. The blue will turn to snow further se we will poss have a good period of snow then rain. That chart is missleading as it makes it look like there is no ppn se and even if it is only rain there certainly will be ppn in the SE.

Posted

http://212.100.247.145/gfsimages/gfs.20070...6/09/ukprec.png

It is indeed ahead of the latest forecast, baring in mind that the forecast chart is for an hours time, this could signyfy a more northward trend.

Posted
Is it just me or does the front look like it may be moving further North than anticipated, or is that just me being hopeful? ;)

Trust me mate; for our mid-term chances of seeing something decent....we do not want that band of snow to head too far north.

Posted

I think this image gives a better ide aof what is likely theresnoway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/charts/uk/uk_rain_07020806.jpg

According to this I'm right on the snow/rain border, but I never take those forecasts too seriously but it does show the chance that thios band may stay as snow the whole way thorugh for some people, esp in the Midlands, an upgrade to what was expected before.

Sb, the main mas sof precip is bang on where it should be according to the model, yah ther eis a little more precip then expected ahead of the front but that in no means signifies a northerly movement of the front beyond what is expected, tohugh its not a bad thing that ther eis a little more precip ahead opf the front then expected but the main mass is about where expected, prehaps a touch ahead, but thats not a bad thing actually as it means the front wiould flatten out faster, it would make a difference to the northerly movement and if anything would limit that a touch because its when the front shifts to a W-E axis it struggles to get any further north.

Posted

Can anyone tell me the latest for Mid South Wales please? Have things changed or can I still expect teh 'significant' snowfall that the Met Office are warning about?

Cheers xx

Posted

This just gets better and better. Irish sea dewpoint just East of Dublin down to -4.6 ;)

Temperature here down from 5 - 3C in last hour.

Shannon reporting sleet.

Posted
This just gets better and better. Irish sea dewpoint just East of Dublin down to -4.6 ;)

Temperature here down from 5 - 3C in last hour.

Shannon reporting sleet.

good you are right in the firing line and your readings will be crucial to give the experts on here a better handle of how its all going to react with the cold air and what the likely outcome will be! keep em coming.

Archived