Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Right, time to stop talking and start committing

Posted

...various of us have argued long and stridently about GW / AGW, and one or two of the sceptics have raised the "so what are you doing about it" challenge. So, let's start a thread in which we can all make personal pledges - and provide updates on how we're doing - every little helps. With a bit of assistance from any willing volunteers I'm sure we can find a way of producing a carbon scoreboard. Who knows, maybe a year from now Paul will be sat there on the Breakfast News couch preaching to the world about the power of mass collaboration.

I am going to turn my heating down 1C (though I might give myslef special dispensation on days when it's very cold and windy), and shorten the burn periods, with the aim of reducing my oil consumption by 10%:

I am going to turn more lights out around the house, and turn off equipment that is on stand-by with the aim of cutting my electricity consumption by at least 10%.

AT least once a month I will make a personal journey (where one needs to be made) by public transport.

I will start recycling all my glass, plastics and paper.

I will fit two more energy saving light bulbs.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

Good Idea!

Here is my list so far, I hope to get fresh ideas from other people's lists too :wacko:

I shall start turning off items instead of using standby.

I shall remember to unplug my phone charger.

I shall only put as much water in the kettle as I need.

I shall remember to turn out lights when i leave a room.

I shall put on a jumper instead of the heating.

I shall continue to recycle where I can.

Posted

You might think this arrogant but its how I see it so there you are: I am not actually going to make any changes to my lifestyle at all. I am going to buy a 4x4 because its the most sensible car to buy for a family and build quality is higher than the Citroen Picasso which comes apart in your hands. I think that if Mr Blair can have several vehicles including a large people carrier and use a 4+ ltr range rover to travel around in and Mr Prescot can own a fleet of Jags I can damn well have one too.

I am sorry because I have posted a lot on the need for global action from governments on the GW issue but I do not believe in this type of peace meal offering. It only serves to make a few who change their lightbulbs feel a bit smug while Rome is burning. I do not take foreign holidays Mr Blair and do not like double standards or bar stall preaching.

Posted
Right, time to stop talking and start committing

pukey.gifpukey.gif

You don't work for a council do you? Or local government? "What slogan shall we come up this week"

Anyway, recycling has gone on for years here now. That's it, that's all i do - probably a damn sight more than some of the do-good eco-warriorspukey.gif

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

On top of that list is " teach our children well". Many of us were brought up in a time of 'waste' as we moved out of our 'Austerity years' into the new 'space age world'. The pendulum swung too far for us but if we let our children learn ,by our example, then it's a start (it works with dropping litter doesn't it?).

Posted

I think I can do more by planting six more trees on the country estate, which I'll do (seriously), than tinkering around with the couple of lights that don't yet take low energy bulbs. I'll be looking for a carbon deposit receipt though.

Edited by The Penguin

Posted

• I already turn of lights when they're not needed
  • I only heat rooms where people are likely to be in, and insist that you need to wear a jumper if you're cold
  • Nothing in my house is left on stand-by
  • I recycle everything I can including dinner table scraps to the compost heap to prevent more damage to peat lands
  • I grow my own herbs and this year will start vegtable 'farming'
  • My wife has just past her driving test and from the beginning of the financial year I will travel to work by foot and train
  • All but four (the kitchen spot-lights) are energy savers

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
pukey.gifpukey.gif

You don't work for a council do you? Or local government? "What slogan shall we come up this week"

Anyway, recycling has gone on for years here now. That's it, that's all i do - probably a damn sight more than some of the do-good eco-warriorspukey.gif

A rather unpleasant ad hom. Not unsurprising thought.

Me? Light bulbs, green tarrif, no flying, buy local, more insuation, grow own veg, bike, tiny small efficient car, business footprint 50% smaller than ten years ago etc etc etc

Edited by Devonian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet (as i havent got one) or sound flipant in anyway.... but i already

• recycle all waste from my house and office
  • have a 100% energy efficient light bulbs in house and office
  • dont use standby
  • allow the family to freeze by not having the heating on full
  • drive only when there is no alternative
  • share car journeys
  • have an energy efficient car
  • plant trees where ever i can
  • and i offset my carbon footprint (every year) by paying tax/fine/donation via www.EQUICLIMATE.co.uk

Posted

yes its a good idea and we have already seen one member opting to do nothing. If the whole world opted to do nothing then by the turn of this century many many thousands in low lying parts of the world will either drown or need to be moved to an area not threatened by rising sea levels.

What each of us do may seem tiny but it will help.

1. I now turn off radios and tv instead of leaving on stand by.

2. I recycle as much rubbish as I can.

3. I am starting to use lower energy light bulbs.

4. I do not heat rooms not being used and I TRY and turn the heating down a fraction whenever I can.

Not much but its one small step by mankind if we all did it.

John

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
yes its a good idea and we have already seen one member opting to do nothing. If the whole world opted to do nothing then by the turn of this century many many thousands in low lying parts of the world will either drown or need to be moved to an area not threatened by rising sea levels.

What each of us do may seem tiny but it will help.

1. I now turn off radios and tv instead of leaving on stand by.

2. I recycle as much rubbish as I can.

3. I am starting to use lower energy light bulbs.

4. I do not heat rooms not being used and I TRY and turn the heating down a fraction whenever I can.

Not much but its one small step by mankind if we all did it.

John

Haven't you gone yet?

Posted
Haven't you gone yet?

not sure how to take that!

On my way in about 4 hours.

Posted
not sure how to take that!

On my way in about 4 hours.

Enjoy!!!

Posted

Hello,

Well GW is still a potent threat that we have control of. The only way we can conquer the massive emissions currently being emitted then we need to join together. But i dont think GW is the really threat at the moment is the Natural Fossil Fuels that are readily becoming harder and more expensive to extract. It takes nearly 700 120m Wing Span Wind mills to replace one Coal Plant... So where can we plot these 700 wind mills??? This is the major issue that the government is faced with... so their solution is to put them in the sea! Good idea but do they not know that water and electricity do not mix??? And maintenance...

Nuclear! Good Idea but with when radioactive waste is deposited in the oceans they end up back on land.... and after a Nuclear site is extinct it takes around 100 years to decommision it!!! Neclear isnt the way....

Fossil Fuels... Like i have said are running out.. C02 production adding to Global Warming Effect and Acidic Rain (from coal, coke an alternative)

Biomass... good but again adding to the CO2 effect

Solar Panels.... very effecient but only 30% of our electrity in our homes...

Tidal and Wave... Good but expensive to set up

So what is the answer... use a concentrated mixture of the Renewable sources to be able to eradicate the Fossil Fuels that required burning

(below is the process of Fossil Fuels)

The_Process_of_using_Fossil_Fuels.xls

So we can identify from the diagram that the Furnace is the Problem!!! So what is so good about using alternative renewable sources??? they eradicate the main cause of CO2 which is loacted in the furnace in an attempt to heat water... tpo make steam to turn turbine to turn generator...

So what can we all do???

-Turn off tap whilst brushing teeth

-Get Draft proofing

-get wall insulation

-get carpet

-get double galzing

-use a shower

-turn off lights when you are not in the room

-Energy Saving Devices

-More trees (but they are not the full answer)

All of these will reduce energy wasted by us. If we can use less of the stuff we dont need we can use less fossil fuels to produce vast amounts of electricity that is wasted... so the key is to use less energy so we have to produce less allowing the reductuion of Powerplants!!! We are the Key .... not the goverment... but remember one person doesnt make a difference we all need to do our bit to reduce CO2 emmisions.

Edited by SNOW-MAN2006

Posted

Smug doesn't come into it. Saving energy saves money. Self interest meets altruism. This is what we already do:

> Drive less than 7000 miles a year.

> Cycle regularly (Mrs P. cycles to work every day outside Winter: yours truly cycles or walks.

> Use (okay, not all of them are) energy saving lightbulbs

> Recycle paper, plastics and glass.

> Keep electrical/domestic equipment until it is no longer useable; avoid unnecessary consumption.

> Have the heating on a mean timer and 2C below recommended/previous levels, put on a jumper if it's cold.

> Forage & make: jam, chutney, dried wild mushrooms, etc., ourselves. Fun as well as free.

> Take holidays in the UK - one flight abroad in the last five years.

> Use leftover food rather than throw it away.

> Cook, rather than buy processed food.

> Grow some vegetables in our tiny garden.

None of these are sacrifices, none of them noble: it simply turns out that this is the way we like to live. Most of it is fun to do, as well, like making & eating bramble jelly in the Summertime. Mrs. P's chutneys are legendary amongst the lucky recipients of them.

Commitment to new things is a bit trickier: here's a possible list:

> Not buy a new car this year (the current one is 14 years old, but serviceable).

> Get several more energy saving bulbs.

> Focus more on buying local produce (e.g. from the monthly Farmer's Market).

> Plant an apple tree.

> Be less lazy about switching off the computer, the TV and the washing machine.

The point is, doing a little bit isn't about doing without, or being a 'good' person; none of the above requires more than a minimal effort and thought. But it wouldn't suit many people. My only recommendation to anybody would be to try to spend less money; the benefits come from the process.

:)P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Ironically I'm not sure that not buying a new car is good for the environment; old cars tend to release far more pollution than new ones, due to improvements in car eco-efficiency technology. It certainly isn't advancing at anything like the rate I would like, but it is nonetheless advancing.

I tend to challenge the view that motoring is evil- rather, it's the pollution that motor vehicles emit that is the main problem.

I see little justification for doing nothing I'm afraid- it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If one isn't prepared to make sacrifices, there are still plenty of things one can do for the environment, that don't involve making any personal sacrifices- some of these have been illustrated above.

On my part, I:

1. Avoid using central heating unless it is particularly cold, even with a warm jumper on.

2. Turn things off rather than leaving them on standby.

3. Recycle everything I can (paper, bottles, cans).

4. Only turn lights on when absolutely necessary, and when using variable-brightness lights, turn them to the dimmest setting needed to allow me to see things.

5. I don't drive (though in my experience some environmentalists consider this to be offset by the fact that I don't discourage other people from driving)

6. Use rechargeable rather than long-life batteries wherever possible.

Posted

I will only turn on the central heating when outside temps drop below freezing for 3 or more consecutive nights, and then only for a max of 3 hours per day with the thermostat set at 16c

There will only ever be one light on in my house (low energy bulb) other than for short periods (usually a few minutes) and never more than 3 on at any one time.

I will not drive

I will not fly

I will recycle all that it is realistically possible to do so

I will check the country of origin of my fresh food (fruit, veg, meat etc) and only buy items produced in Britain/Ireland

Oh, wait a minute, I've been doing all that for years anyway :)

Posted

Here is what I do

>Use energy saving light bulbs wherever possible

>install led light bulbs where halogen bulbs are fitted as soon as the halogen ones blow

>use a smart control on my heating boiler that measures the flow and return temperature of the water, ensuring the burner is not firing when the heat exchanger gets to the point where it cannot put any more heat into the water therefore wasting energy.

>turn off as many electrical appliances as possible when not using them

>recycle paper, plastics and metal

>make sure very little water is wasted (don't forget it uses energy to heat the water that often gets wasted)

>work with the business community to reduce their carbon emissions.

Edited by Pickles

Who knows, maybe a year from now Paul will be sat there on the Breakfast News couch preaching to the world about the power of mass collaboration.

I am going to turn my heating down 1C (though I might give myslef special dispensation on days when it's very cold and windy), and shorten the burn periods, with the aim of reducing my oil consumption by 10%:

I am going to turn more lights out around the house, and turn off equipment that is on stand-by with the aim of cutting my electricity consumption by at least 10%.

AT least once a month I will make a personal journey (where one needs to be made) by public transport.

I will start recycling all my glass, plastics and paper.

I will fit two more energy saving light bulbs.

Well done SF for posting this. We must do something.

- I replaced all our bulbs with low energy ones. I've told the new tenants I'll leave them the low energy bulbs and buy some new ones for our new house

- even so, will also turn off lights more often

- I've begun turning off standby items, but I'm really going to redouble my effort on that. I'm bad at it

- I try to use public transport and bought a low cost car, but I want to look next time at a more eco-friendly 'fuel' user

- I must try and sort out recycling better. Mrs WIB is very good. I get irritated with 2 weeks worth of manky containers. So new house = new system that will work

- I have curtailed all flying except where vital. I take the train instead now. I've started telling people off for flying. This means we holiday here ...

- I will stop using plastic bags

- I will spread the word to all and sundry

In addition:

- I want to pledge over the next 20 years to install eco-energy sources at the farm: with my parents-in-law's permission of course!

- plant 2 trees for every tree that is felled by nature or us (sometimes we have to do the latter)

By the way - to mums and dads out there, with a little WIB on the way, what do you do/think about the nappy side of things? I believe there are actually compostable ones. I know it sounds gross, but filling up wastelands with nappies is a real environmental issue

Posted

I do a few things, upgraded all bulbs to low energy ones, reduced heating (saving over £200 pounds so far.)

Run with a cheap high mpg car. etc.

I don't however do a great deal of recycling and here's why.

My office is currently getting rid of a whole load of computers and they are recycling them, the old units will get shipped to india where the components will get stripped off, the old boards will then be sold on to a much smaller unit in India, where they will try to remove the solder, copper etc.

How will they do this, well the custom is to employee children between 7-12 yrs old to dip the boards into acid to lossen the valuable bits. Notice none of these children are over 12, quite simply it's because they don't live that long...........

Only do recycling if you are bloody sure that a) it doesn't take more energy to recycle than not to and :) you know the entire chain of the recycling !.

You are much better reducing your consumption in the first place.

Well done SF for posting this. We must do something.

- I replaced all our bulbs with low energy ones. I've told the new tenants I'll leave them the low energy bulbs and buy some new ones for our new house

- even so, will also turn off lights more often

- I've begun turning off standby items, but I'm really going to redouble my effort on that. I'm bad at it

- I try to use public transport and bought a low cost car, but I want to look next time at a more eco-friendly 'fuel' user

- I must try and sort out recycling better. Mrs WIB is very good. I get irritated with 2 weeks worth of manky containers. So new house = new system that will work

- I have curtailed all flying except where vital. I take the train instead now. I've started telling people off for flying. This means we holiday here ...

- I will stop using plastic bags

- I will spread the word to all and sundry

In addition:

- I want to pledge over the next 20 years to install eco-energy sources at the farm: with my parents-in-law's permission of course!

- plant 2 trees for every tree that is felled by nature or us (sometimes we have to do the latter)

By the way - to mums and dads out there, with a little WIB on the way, what do you do/think about the nappy side of things? I believe there are actually compostable ones. I know it sounds gross, but filling up wastelands with nappies is a real environmental issue

Having three young kids the nappy issue bothered me as well, Waitrose do a very good nappy that fully decomposes, be carefull to buy the same nappy bags as well though !, they also do wipes. Expensive but worth it.

Having three young kids the nappy issue bothered me as well, Waitrose do a very good nappy that fully decomposes, be carefull to buy the same nappy bags as well though !, they also do wipes. Expensive but worth it.

That's a great tip - thank you! Waitrose here we come. Will cost us more, but it's worth it.

Some other excellent tips on here - don't know about anyone else but I'm picking up some great ideas.

Posted

All my lightbulbs (bar one or two spotlights) in my place are low energy ones.

i turned the heating down this winter and "put a woolly on" and tell others to do so if they are cold.

the council don't have recylcing where i live (apart from garden waste which does go in the compost bin) so sadly i throw glass etc away.

i switch off electrical equipment at the mains when not in use.

i now wash my clothes at lower temperatures except when they're really filthy & muddy - you can't tell the difference if you wash at 30 or 40 degrees.

i pour sink of water to wash pans etc and always put the dishwasher on for full load only.

always take a shower instead of a bath.

have energy efficient combi boiler

i don't own a car and i always use public transport & cycle to and from work each day.

I try not to buy food which has been flown thousands of miles / processed and packaged to hell using vast amounts of energy in the preparation. spend jsut a little extra time making sauces, cooking from raw ingredients, its far more satisfying and environmentally friendly.

thats about it really. oh yes, my place is getting double glazed this year as well.

Posted
- I have curtailed all flying except where vital. I take the train instead now. I've started telling people off for flying.

Right, i've already updated my signature with regards taking part in these kind of discussions, but my final parting shot is aimed at the above and not you WiB.

Why have you started telling people off for flying? Globally aviation generates >1.6% of global anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Manufacturing contributes around 30%. Household heating, lighting and car driving around 40%.

When will the BBC or other media outlets stop using a silhouette or image of an aircraft everytime Global Warming is a news item? Haven't they got any interesting images of vehicle exhausts and coal powered power stations? And while i'm at it, a BBC forum was shut/locked recently after a TV program last month focusing on the effects of aircraft emission was clearly wrong. Locked forum

To quote above

Household heating, lighting and car driving around 40%.
, perhaps organisations/program makers should get together and campaign for every single street light to be replaced with energy-efficient bulbs and fittings instead of wrongly filling peoples mind with woeful reporting of aircraft emission and ghastly exaggerated amounts of Co2 bullDoh a dumb swear filter got the better of met

God, no wonder i've barred myself. :)

Bye.LOL

Why have you started telling people off for flying? Globally aviation generates >1.6% of global anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Manufacturing contributes around 30%. Household heating, lighting and car driving around 40%.

Hi Col,

Because the projected rise in emissions from flying is scary. Your figures look a bit suspect to me. In the UK flying accounts for 5.5% of all carbon emissions, and this is set to rise sharply. Of course, because poorer people fly less the global figure is around 2%. It's such a classically 'rich nation' issue at the moment. A significant proportion of that is unnecessary, especially in this age of global communications. What's frightening is that in an era of at least some responsibility, carbon emissions from air travel rose by 87% in the 14 years from 1990. 16,000 commercial jet aircraft create more than 600m tonnes of carbon dioxide every year. On a return flight from London to New York, every passenger produces roughly 1.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

What is also deeply disturbing are the projected increases from official figures. By 2030 (not that far off) flying will account for 25% of the UK's entire carbon emissions.

Now this bit will undoubtedly alarm and horrify you, especially for a newbie to say ... but Royal Mail now fly significant amounts of mail around the country, with the old mail trains often a distant memory. So why don't we tackle it? Accepting that people probably still need to send documents, I'm all for introducing Green Mail. There might be a commercially viable aspect to it.

There are ways to offset your carbon emissions from flying:

http://www.carbonneutral.com/shop/results.asp?cat1=Flights

http://www.chooseclimate.org/flying/mapcalc.html

http://www.allthingsgreen.net/marketplace/...ions-p-406.html

http://www.terrapass.com/flight/flightcalc.html

But I don't think off-setting is the answer. I think this is the sacrifice that will bite hardest for many: stop flying.

Edited by West is Best