Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Right, time to stop talking and start committing

Posted
With much of the British public...probably huge majority calling this weather brilliant and forecasters alike saying things like perfect, ideal, glorious yet it is way out of the norm then there is very likely that folk who believe/think this is linked to AGW will want AGW to continue. How many times has anyone heard folk say as a joke 'spray more CFCs or use more gas guzzlers' when they actually mean it if it leads to weather like this? I hear it all the time. Is it the same all around the NH?

BFTP

If i heard someone say that they'd be in trouble.

Posted

Serious question chaps, I want to buy another car but I want something that is big enough for the family and something of quality. You cannot buy small engine cars that fit that criteria and you certainly cannot buy anything of quality at all below about 2ltr. Now my dilemma is this, I would like to buy a 2.5 Diesel Range Rover but I do have a conscience, in my defence I would like to put the following:

A Range rover if looked after will last for @20yrs as opposed to a throw away car which don't last 10? How much cost to the environment as whole is saved by a car lasting twice as long? Also I understand that Diesel's are less polluting then the equivalent petrol engine?

So overall I ask whether I can buy one with a clear conscience instead going out and buying another 1.8ltr petrol car last half the time if that?

Posted

Why don't you buy a bus. The government want us to use public transport anyway.

Er, have i got that right? A bus + public transport = less pollution? Nope didn't think that equation added up.

HP. Get what you bloody well want. All these intruders nowadays, saying what you can or can't do/buy.

To hell with them. Buy a 3.5l Jeep or something. Go out and really p!ss the alarmists off. Go out and create a fantastic carbon footprint today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Serious question chaps, I want to buy another car but I want something that is big enough for the family and something of quality. You cannot buy small engine cars that fit that criteria and you certainly cannot buy anything of quality at all below about 2ltr. Now my dilemma is this, I would like to buy a 2.5 Diesel Range Rover but I do have a conscience, in my defence I would like to put the following:

A Range rover if looked after will last for @20yrs as opposed to a throw away car which don't last 10? How much cost to the environment as whole is saved by a car lasting twice as long? Also I understand that Diesel's are less polluting then the equivalent petrol engine?

So overall I ask whether I can buy one with a clear conscience instead going out and buying another 1.8ltr petrol car last half the time if that?

Buy what you can afford to, odds are we'll all be on shank's' soon enough.

The Mississipi ran so low in the late 1990's that they had to tanker water into the refineries to keep them operational. We all know what a few strong 'Canes did in 2005 to both production and refinement in the gulf and we all know who bought up world oil stocks then. 2006 season was blighted by an 'unexpected El-Nino' but not so this year (with El-Nino overturned by alarming amounts of cold water upwelling at the equator running it straight into La-Nina conditions)

If you are of an age to remember 1974 then you'll know how close we run to oil shortages in our country (unlike the caverns upon caverns of storage in the U.S.) or if you remember the 'petrol crisis' you'll have sdome idea how things go when the screw is turned up a notch.

In so far as 'carbon footprints' are concerned they are your kids and your concience will be your guide, or not as the case may be?

Happy Motoring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Quality or power? With Turbo and improved engines you don't need 2.5L. But buy what you want/can afford...for me I'd go Japanese, their engines are so good

BFTP

Posted
Quality or power? With Turbo and improved engines you don't need 2.5L. But buy what you want/can afford...for me I'd go Japanese, their engines are so good

BFTP

Back in the early 90s F1 Cars had 1500cc turbo charged engines developing about 600BHP, they were banned in favour of normally aspirated engines. You got to ask why if it could be done 20yrs ago why we don't see 1ltr - 1.5ltr Turbos on our roads fitted to 4x4 or luxury cars?

Posted

actually i worked out that i flew 45,000 miles last year on holidays ;)

still - i have energy saving lightbulbs at home!

Edited by jimmyay

Posted
actually i worked out that i flew 45,000 miles last year on holidays ;)

still - i have energy saving lightbulbs at home!

Goodness. You global jet-setter! You'll be getting a name for yourself, just like Al Gore.

And talking of which:

More than 100 of the world's top musicians will perform at a series of worldwide concerts this summer to highlight the threat of global warming.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6367515.stm

The concerts aim to set a "green example" for other music events by using measures such as eco-friendly electricity, sustainable lighting and carbon-neutral travel.

Former US Vice-President Al Gore, who is one of those involved in organising the events, said he expected Live Earth to attract "an audience of billions".

"We hope Live Earth will launch a global campaign, giving a critical mass of people around the world the tools they need to help solve the climate crisis," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6540277.stm

Oh how the alarmist will have a field day. Can't wait ;) I'll be earplugged up nearer the time to that event and thereafter :)

Posted
Goodness. You global jet-setter! You'll be getting a name for yourself, just like Al Gore.

And talking of which:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6367515.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6540277.stm

Oh how the alarmist will have a field day. Can't wait ;) I'll be earplugged up nearer the time to that event and thereafter ;)

Is there anything a alarmist 'warmer' could do or say you would treat with thoughtful respect? I have to say I've not seen any evidence there is :)

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Mr.Range-Rover....Convert it to LPG.

And a quick question why do you 'need' a land-rover???? Are your Kids all Sheep who need to be towed behind on a trailer?

Edited by disco-barry

Posted
Mr.Range-Rover....Convert it to LPG.

And a quick question why do you 'need' a land-rover???? Are your Kids all Sheep who need to be towed behind on a trailer?

Considered doing the conversion for 1500 quid its not a bad idea but feel a bit bad about a 4lt motor tbh.

I want a car that is big enough for the family and that will not fall apart after 2mins (the citreon Picasso does) most saloon cars are too small the other alternative is something like the Vovlo estate. 4 Wheel Drive is handy where I live so you end up with the Land Rover type motor, none of the cheap ones do it they are just toys and for sitting outside schools.

I would like to be GW friendly and get a Micra but I just cannot see it really ;)

Posted

I'm on my third Honda CRV....a car with an engine which has never failed ever anywhere. A car which has wonderful build quality and a car which fits my family of five inside comfortably, including all the luggage we ever need.

On a slightly different note, am I alone in being sick and tired of being called an "alarmist" because I worry about what's happening to the climate? I mean, imagine if I called those who have doubts about the cause of all this ignorant selfish cretins....imagine the complaints.

Posted
I'm on my third Honda CRV....a car with an engine which has never failed ever anywhere. A car which has wonderful build quality and a car which fits my family of five inside comfortably, including all the luggage we ever need.

Hi Os

I have heard good things about the Honda, but I do like that English wood and leather type interior, the Japs try it but it's not the same.

On a slightly different note, am I alone in being sick and tired of being called an "alarmist" because I worry about what's happening to the climate? I mean, imagine if I called those who have doubts about the cause of all this ignorant selfish cretins....imagine the complaints.

Actually you hit on part of my point about cars I do care about the environment and think that we should be looking at our overall carbon footprints not just what car we drive. I am also trying to inject some reality into the argument, its just not that easy to start cycling and stick a windmill on my house as many would have me do. Anyone who lives with teenagers will know the idea of turning the heating down 1oC is highly amusing its either on or off, terrible I know but the real world nonetheless. Whether you firmly believe in AGW or as I am a little sceptical I cannot see our government saving us with their policies. Simply I don't have a problem with anyone's view on the scale of the AGW but if the alarmists or pro camp however you want to put it are right, then the sum of the anti AGW actions put forward are equivalent to throwing a bucket of water in the sea. If on the otherhand AGW is not as severe as the IPCC would have us believe we are being screwed via our taxes. At the end of the day I am left frustrated by the whole issue because I believe you either tackle a problem or you don't not just pay it lip service.

Don't you love Mr Brown's zero carbon home policy none yet built in the UK so they get stamp duty exemption until 2010 when of course its reinstated because by then we may actually have some. The policies just go on and on like sneaking in taxation increases on manufacturing making it slightly less cost efficient and thus pushing even more towards countries like China so we can increase their CO2 emissions?

Posted

I have oft wondered about people who go on and on ad nauseum (and I am not pointing any fingers here!) about so-called "AGW". Are the ones who shout loudest the ones who expect everyone else to do something, whilst not doing anything themselves? I see people in their huge gas guzzlers, I know of people who leave all of their electrical appliances on (and complain about the size of the bills) and so on and so forth and yet they seem to be on this "AGW" bandwagon. It doesn't make sense to me.

Personally, I switch everything off as soon as it has served it's purpose. I don't have a dishwasher nor a tumble drier. I have only a small car which does about 2,000 miles a year. I don't go abroad because I have no desire to and am also terrified of flying, so I wouldn't go anywhere near a plane! I re-use and/or recycle everything I possibly can and seldom buy anything new. If the house feels cold, we put an extra layer of clothing on. I do these things not because I believe I would be contributing to "AGW" by being any other way, but because of a general desire to respect our planet and it's resources.

So, if I can be considerate to our environment whilst not being an AGWer, then I would blinking well like to see more AGWers being more "proactive" by doing stuff themselves instead of just telling everyone else to do it.

So there. :)

Sodding politicians in particular, take note.

:):)

Edited by noggin

Posted
I have oft wondered about people who go on and on ad nauseum (and I am not pointing any fingers here!) about so-called "AGW". Are the ones who shout loudest the ones who expect everyone else to do something, whilst not doing anything themselves? I see people in their huge gas guzzlers, I know of people who leave all of their electrical appliances on (and complain about the size of the bills) and so on and so forth and yet they seem to be on this "AGW" bandwagon. It doesn't make sense to me.

Nice try at throwing bit of 'you're all hypochrites' mud I must say :) . I can only speak for myself, but I've not flown since 1991, I've owned the same 50mpg+ car since 1995, I grow much of my own food, use reusable plastic bags etc etc etc.

Personally, I switch everything off as soon as it has served it's purpose. I don't have a dishwasher nor a tumble drier. I have only a small car which does about 2,000 miles a year. I don't go abroad because I have no desire to and am also terrified of flying, so I wouldn't go anywhere near a plane! I re-use and/or recycle everything I possibly can and seldom buy anything new. If the house feels cold, we put an extra layer of clothing on. I do these things not because I believe I would be contributing to "AGW" by being any other way, but because of a general desire to respect our planet and it's resources.

So, if I can be considerate to our environment whilst not being an AGWer, then I would blinking well like to see more AGWers being more "proactive" by doing stuff themselves instead of just telling everyone else to do it.

Sounds like me - except for your final line, more of that fine quality (but false) mud again.

So there. :)

Sodding politicians in particular, take note.

:):)

We get who we vote for. Nowt will change without people aggitating...

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Perhaps some valid points, although it would seem hardly an unbiased source there Mondy, judging by the "previous stories" section at the bottom. Just out of interest, what would the reaction be if mecury thermometers were banned because of the risk of them breaking?

Posted

Of course, whether or not LED readouts aide Global Warming is another thing..

Edit: It's LCD readouts, Mondy, you fool :good:

Edited by Mondy

Posted

Funny how it's always the householder who gets blamed. ;)

How about local and national government lead by example for once and make a public commitment to cut their electricity use by 20%, starting with streetlighting?

We're all being told to fit these so-called "energy saving" bulbs indoors, but nothing is done about streetlights that shine in all directions and p!ss the energy out into space. There's your 20% right there, btw.

You ever tried speaking to a local councillor, local "green" MP/MSP or to Friends of the Earth or the Carbon Saving Trust and on and on, just to ask the simple question what their policy is on cutting energy consumption on outdoor lighting. Predictably, not one of these is interested in doing anything about it. Most of the time they just promise to phone back and don't. ;)

Meanwhile, down at the council depot (new slogan "Reduce, reuse, recycle") there is a high-pressure sodium lamp atop a pole burning away 24 hours a day, 365 days a year illuminating precisely diddly-squat.

As usual, the real slogan: "do as we say, not as we do".

Posted

Sorry to correct you Mondy but many local authorities are replacing streetlights with much more efficient, full cut-off lights which not only use less power, but also reduce light pollution. For economic reasons, this tends to happen at the end of the existing street lamp's life-time.

Here's an example.

Other than that, your post was excellent.