Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Right, time to stop talking and start committing

Most of the food we eat is locally produced (well, at least within Scotland). We tend not to waste food, but again, only because I am a skinflint and unless something has gone off quickly, food is eaten even if it means some bizarre combinations.

I notice this challenge, raised by some others too and it has really set me thinking about it. The Food Miles issue is worrying.

But how many of us are really prepared to start only buying local food in season, and boycotting imports? Gosh, maybe we should ...?

By the way - we're about to buy a cooker for the new home. Can't afford induction hobs, but I suggested to Mrs WIB that an electric ceramic was actually better than gas because at least the former can come from renewable sources, whereas gas is finite. Anyone agree on this?!

Edited by West is Best

Posted
What is also deeply disturbing are the projected increases from official figures. By 2030 (not that far off) flying will account for 25% of the UK's entire carbon emissions.

Hold on. How to you, how does anyone know what will be happening in the world in or by 2030. That is just one of those figures whose use is at best spurious, and at worst blatant scaremongering.

I have no idea what percentage of the UK's total emissions aircraft will produce in 2030, but I'll lay a hefty bet that it will not be 25%. Higher or lower, but it will not be 25%.

Hold on. How to you, how does anyone know what will be happening in the world in or by 2030. That is just one of those figures whose use is at best spurious, and at worst blatant scaremongering.

I have no idea what percentage of the UK's total emissions aircraft will produce in 2030, but I'll lay a hefty bet that it will not be 25%. Higher or lower, but it will not be 25%.

It's the official Govt figure Penguin. I did use the word 'projection'. Looking at their work it seems they've done some homework to come up with that figure, but it's hair splitting a little isn't it as to whether it does eventually come out a few % either side?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Maybe I should give up smoking to save the environment, all those millions upon millions of fags consumed globally everyday must contribute at least something to pollution (half-joking/half-serious on that point :) ).

If you knew how much 'virgin Hardwood' forest was chopped down in S. America each year to 'dry' the tobacco crop you may try harder!!!

I'm still not clear of 'the weed' but no longer smoke fags (or miss smoking them whilst out and about) but do have the odd little 'pipe' (left over from college days) of tobacco at home now and again. It isn't 'easy' but worth it on soooo many levels.

Posted
To quote above, perhaps organisations/program makers should get together and campaign for every single street light to be replaced with energy-efficient bulbs and fittings

You'll be pleased to know that I've already started that and am in conversation re local council on their policy on two counts: (i) Too much light pollution, (ii) Too much energy being used.

Posted
It's the official Govt figure Penguin. I did use the word 'projection'. Looking at their work it seems they've done some homework to come up with that figure, but it's hair splitting a little isn't it as to whether it does eventually come out a few % either side?

Oh for goodness sake... hair splitting? I knew it would all be my fault somehow, I just never thought it would be because of my split ends.

Seriously though, I agree with Penguin. Projected figures are just that... projected. And would you honestly trust anything this government (with its various agendas) projects? Because I wouldn't.

Posted
You'll be pleased to know that I've already started that and am in conversation re local council on their policy on two counts: (i) Too much light pollution, (ii) Too much energy being used.

Maybe ,with the advent of night sights/heat sensitive scopes street lights could go off between 2 and 6 in the morning and the 'crims' can be tracked using 'stealth technology.

and everybody else can use 'wind up ' torches to get home!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

As I'm but a teenager i don't own property so what my parents do is thier own stuff.

However as much as all this is good willed, evn if over a 100 people on here did what they said, in all honesty it doesn't matter a jot!

I mean a couple of jumbo jets will probably produce more carbon dioxide in a couple of months then what the entire net weather gang makes in a couple of years.

The ONLY way the stop GW now is to stop using carbon based stuff, full stop...anything else is but a token guesture i'm afriad and in the long run will make no difference.

Will it happen, of course it won't as humainty will go down the drain if we did, but its pointless to prevent now.

I honestly think we are beyond preventation, now the only thing we can really aim to do is prepare for whatever will happen in the future.

Action should have been taken 20 years ago but such is the nature of humanity, even that probably wouldn't solve that much.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Ha. You mean whether they are right or wrong? Or how wrong?

But I take your point, to a point, WiB.

Posted

Come on K.W. Each and everyone does a little = a LOT. The other thing is it keeps you mindful of your environment/planet and, if we are 'custodians' of this fair planet, we should keep our eye on her!

Posted

It'll just drive it underground........subways and tunnels an' things......

Like the 'smoking clubs' in the USA we'll end up with 'polluting clubs' where people insist on incandescent lights and have the thermos at 21c whilst filling kettles to make a brew (I'm safe 'cause Mondy aint posting here any more)

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

its useless though GW, sure it may prevent it for a while but look how many people ar ein palces like India and other rapidly developing countries like China, do you honestly think even if we all did our little bit (and note, what we all suggesting isn't going to compeltely cut carbon stamp) those countries will stop pumping it into the atmosphere?

As i said, preperation over prevention now guys, its just too late even if we all did our bit and is utterly pointless, other then to prevent compelte runaway global warming.

I'll bet that we won't see a dip in global carbon emessions for another 50 years. Not to say we won't try but until cars and planes don't pump out any more Co2 then all these gestures won't make much difference IMo, given the massive boom occuring in place slike China and India who have more people in them then Europe and the USa combined.

By then it'll be way too late.

Because in the end its all token gestures and will not stop global warming, sure it may slightly delay it but it is never gong to be eonugh to put much of a dent on global warming, esp given the half-life of Carbon is not exactly short either, at least on a human life scale.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
its useless though GW, sure it may prevent it for a while but look how many people ar ein palces like India and other rapidly developing countries like China, do you honestly think even if we all did our little bit (and note, what we all suggesting isn't going to compeltely cut carbon stamp) those countries will stop pumping it into the atmosphere?

As i said, preperation over prevention now guys, its just too late even if we all did our bit and is utterly pointless, other then to prevent compelte runaway global warming.

I'll bet that we won't see a dip in global carbon emessions for another 50 years.

I am in no way disagreeing with you on that K.W. but even so we cannot carry on B.A.U. either so even though it won't add up to much initially it'll be a start for the future surely?

Posted
What sort of bulbs are used in street lights? Are they energy efficient? Agreed; interesting. Perhaps legislation is the only way to make progress.

:)P

Well, as has already been mentioned, the primary concern of the council is security - ie if they turn the lights out crime will go up. It's a difficult one to argue, but I'm sure some sort of social experiment should be performed.

It's also clear that it's too light which is why I can't see the Milky Way from my backgarden.

I'm sure some compromise will be assured, but I can't see where, and nor can the local council.

Posted
What sort of bulbs are used in street lights? Are they energy efficient? Agreed; interesting. Perhaps legislation is the only way to make progress.

:) P

Funny that. We were stuck with the orange (sodium?) street lights for many years after the 74 energy crises and only in the past 10yrs have they started 'upgrading' to higher consumption white (halogen?) lights....Doh!!!

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
Why have you started telling people off for flying? Globally aviation generates >1.6% of global anthropogenic CO2 emissions. Manufacturing contributes around 30%. Household heating, lighting and car driving around 40%.

When will the BBC or other media outlets stop using a silhouette or image of an aircraft everytime Global Warming is a news item? Haven't they got any interesting images of vehicle exhausts and coal powered power stations? And while i'm at it, a BBC forum was shut/locked recently after a TV program last month focusing on the effects of aircraft emission was clearly wrong. Locked forum

Carbon emission are only a part of anthropogenic climate change :)

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/apr/H...ds_climate.html

In fact, there are proposals for aircraft to fly lower, increasing their carbon emissions - but reducing the impact of contrails.

Posted

:)P

You can start here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6371073.stm

The Illuminated Equipment segment is by far the largest sector of the market. With over seven million items of illuminated equipment throughout the United Kingdom, this sector is estimated to be valued at £450,000,000 per year. Almost 40% of this sum is spent on energy and service charges to the public electricity supply company. Of the balance, 70% is spent on maintaining the infrastructure and the remainder on new projects.

Most highway illuminated equipment is owned by local authorities. The map below shows the numbers of lighting units (including illuminated signs etc.) in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Highways Agency owns equipment on motorways and trunk roads.

Number of Lighting Units in the United Kingdom

England 2,524,323

Counties 1,552,827

Metropolitan Borough 665,983

London Borough 1,098,456

Unitaries

Highway Agency/TfL 211,658

Total in England 6,053,247

Scotland 885,481

Wales 443,907

Northern Ireland 257,592

Total in UK 7,653,564

Information on each individual authority is available in the Highway Electrical Industry Yearbook.

The above courtesy of :-

http://www.highwayelectrical.org.uk/

http://www.streetlightonline.co.uk/News/index.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Technology exists to have downward-projected light bulbs, as opposed to the streetlights that radiate light out to space, wasting electricity and money. Those might represent a good halfway house between current streetlights and no lights.

Posted

Interestingly, the Australian government has announced today that it's going to ban incandescent bulbs by 2012, which makes them the first government to do so. Perhaps it's a sign of a change of mind on their part about global warming.

Posted

turn off all the moterway lights,why do we need these street lights when you got lights on your car,

then turn off every other sreet light, it would save thousands of tons of CO2,