Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Type of bird

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I once saw a Buzzard/Heron fight when I lived up on Seil Island (south of Oban).

Heron fly with there necks folded back (unlike other long necks) apart from when they fight!. I can see why hawking/falconing for them was considered great sport if every scrap is like the one I saw. They where both suspended on the updraft from the cliffs and went at it talon to beak for minutes. Most cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

We get herons quite regularly down here. They're quite fond of the pond. :rofl:

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted

Or to have a heronry close by (as here off the A464 in Luddendenfoot) as they hatch out early (before the leaf cover)

Posted
If your lucky enough to hear one it'll send a shiver down your spine.

Do they sound like a piercing Scream (Female)Hiya? Asking as the other week we were in Aberdeenshire in open countryside when this almighty screech came out from nowhere it was really piercing and that did send shivers up and down out spines.

We had though it was a woman but it was obvious a few screechy screams later it was some sort of bird (not a human one ;-)) well horrible though.

Mondy,

I'll hunt you down and personally sign a pic for you ;-)

Posted

I saw one last year in the summer - flew over low and scared the living sh** out of me and my cat who happened to be out in the garden at the time. Also spotted one recently this year. So Bromley also is home to the heron!!!! :nonono:

Posted
Do they sound like a piercing Scream (Female)Hiya? Asking as the other week we were in Aberdeenshire in open countryside when this almighty screech came out from nowhere it was really piercing and that did send shivers up and down out spines.

We had though it was a woman but it was obvious a few screechy screams later it was some sort of bird (not a human one ;-)) well horrible though.

Mondy,

Sounds more like a Nazgul to me.......

Posted

Mondy,

Nah that was probably a Kelpie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I saw a very strange bird when was down in Cornwall this easter, it was orangey brown and the wings had black and white stripes and it had a large crest any idea what that was?

Edited by James M

Posted
I saw a very strange bird when was down in Cornwall this easter, it was orangey brown and the wings had black and white stripes and it had a large crest any idea what that was?

Try looking up Hoopoe on Google images (sorry, dunno how to post images on here). If that's what you saw, you were very lucky: they only get past the channel very rarely, although if it does goes warmer we might see more of them. I'm surprised the place wasn't full of men with beards and binoculars.

Posted

Hi James

I've done a bit of checking, and according to several twitchers' websites, a Hoopoe was seen by quite a few people near Truro on 10th/11th April and another near Porthgwarra on the 14th/15th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes that it, cheers everyone. The one I saw was in a field about 5 or so miles south of Padstow or I think.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

There are a few Hoopoes knocking about at the moment - we had one turn up just south of here on Thursday last week. Weird looking things if you've never seen one before!

Posted

I see loads of hoopoes abroad in the summer, they're like blackbirds they're that common.

Nice bird all the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

To the tune of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat:

"""Poor, poor Albert - whatcha gonna do?"""

:doh: :lol: <click

You'd have thought a shag would be easy :whistling::wallbash: