Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your ideal weather year made up from past months

Posted

Something I have wanted to do for a while but not had the time to seriously think about.

What would be your ideal weather for the year taking conditions from previous months? I'm not sure if this has been done before, but i would be interested to see what people come up with.

I will not be delving too far back into the past as I only want to state those that stay in my memory i.e. post 1989

January 2001 reaon-again not a particularly cold month but a very sunny one something that January is not renowned for

February 1996 reason-not a bitter month by any standards but a very snowy one, nearly 18 inches in parts of Cumbria

March 1995 reason-a potent arcitc airstream for the first 8 days then spring like with further wintry spell at the end

April

May 1992 a very sunny and warm month perfect May

June 2005 sunny and warm but not too hot

July 1995 brilliant summer weather

August 1995 brilliant summer weather

September 1995 a cyclonic september with lots of rain just what was needed after the long hot summer and a precursor to a good winter (if only we saw septembers like that now!)

October 1993 cold and autumnal with notable frosty spell mid month what october should be

November 1993 very cold conditions mid-late month with persistant frosty weather agin how I like my Novembers

December 1995 wonderful festive weather snowy early on then the bitter christmas

If i was to name a complete calander year i woul go for the period Sept 1993-August 1994 a cold autumn lots of frost and some early snow a variable at times wintry winter a showery spring and lots of summer warmth and thunderstorms

Posted

Here are mine:

January 1987: No guesses as to why this is here. It had what every January should have, an incredibly potent cold spell from the east with widespread snow (over a foot here) and some notably low laximas. (CET 0.8°C)

February 1986: Exceptionally cold but only containing light snowfalls meaning disruption was minimal. Not a month for everyone as it was quite dull here in the east. (CET -1.1°C)

March 2006: Lots of northerly/easterly weather bringing snow, yet some very mild weather at the end. An exceptionally sunny first week too, which is all too often forgotten. Another spring month with everything. (CET 4.9°C)

April 1981: Warm and sunny first half, cold and snowy second. Basically it was a mixture, just as April should be. (CET 7.8°C)

May 1995: A mixture of warm, sunny spells and cold Arctic spells with falling snow. It even snowed on my birthday (11th). (CET 11.6°C)

June 2001: An average month temperature-wise, but still contained lots of dry and sunny weather as well as some spectacular thunderstorms. There was a heatwave at the end, but cold spell at the start bringing snow to above 1000m in Scotland. (CET 14.3°C)

July 2006: Although Im not the greatest of fans of prolonged hot weather it wasnt such a bad month at all. It was very sunny and had 14 days of 25+C in a row here. Temperatures werent unbearably high though, reaching a max of 29.9C in my location. (CET 19.7°C)

August 1996: Warm and sunny for most-part, yet overall it was an average month. (CET 16.5°C)

September 2003: Exceptionally sunny. Very warm start but it some quite cool weather at the end. (CET 14.3°C)

October 2005: Very pleasant to have such warm weather so late in the season. (CET 13.1°C)

November 1993: I agree. It had everything, mild weather at the start, snow, fog and hard frosts at the end. Relatively cold, dry and anticyclonic. (CET 4.6°C)

December 1981: I wish I was around to see this one. The coldest and snowiest December of the 20th century. As well as snow, there were exceptionally low minimas and freezing fog. (CET 0.3°C)

Overall annual CET: 8.90°C. So probably about 1.5-2.0°C lower than we can achieve these days. Shame really.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Largely agree with you there reef - basically hot, sunny summers and cold, snowy winters. I'd prob not want that Dec-Jan-Feb all in one season though as I think that level of cold would really grate & loose its novelty after so long. I'd prefer overall average winter months but with stark contrasts from very cold to mild.

Can't name specific months for all of them but June, July, September of last year were the best they can be for me.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

I can't really pick particular months for my favourite weather but as regards seasons past ....

Winter - 1962/63

Spring - well, I can't fault the one we're having now.

Summer - got to be 1976

Autumn - October and November 1993

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I agree with Reef's in general but for August i'd pick 2005. I like more storms mixed in with the hot sunny weather.

Just like Snow makes a proper winter, Storms make the perfect summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My choices:

The first-mentioned years are my pick of the 1900-2006 period, the years in brackets are my pick of the 1990-2006 period.

January: 1958 (1995)

February 1970 (1996)

March 1995 (1995)

April 1981 (1990)

May 1948 (1995)

June 1975 (1996)

July 1995 (1995)

August 1975 (1996)

September 1919 (1999)

October 1955 (1993)

November 1947 (1996)

December 1938 (1993)

Winter: 1954/55 (1993/94)

Spring: 1995 (1995)

Summer: 1975 (1995 in N & W, 1996 in S & E)

Autumn: 1985 (1996)

Year: 1955 (1995)

Overall, it would seem there's a fair amount of agreement with Reef here. I have generally opted for warm and sunny but thundery summer months (though I couldn't resist putting June 1975 in, with its snowy start and subsequent heatwave), variable spring/autumn months, and varied but often cold, bright & snowy winter months. I also had July 2006 as a strong contender for the July title, and agree that September 2003 was pretty good.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
Here are mine:

January 1987: No guesses as to why this is here. It had what every January should have, an incredibly potent cold spell from the east with widespread snow (over a foot here) and some notably low laximas. (CET 0.8°C)

February 1986: Exceptionally cold but only containing light snowfalls meaning disruption was minimal. Not a month for everyone as it was quite dull here in the east. (CET -1.1°C)

March 2006: Lots of northerly/easterly weather bringing snow, yet some very mild weather at the end. An exceptionally sunny first week too, which is all too often forgotten. Another spring month with everything. (CET 4.9°C)

April 1981: Warm and sunny first half, cold and snowy second. Basically it was a mixture, just as April should be. (CET 7.8°C)

May 1995: A mixture of warm, sunny spells and cold Arctic spells with falling snow. It even snowed on my birthday (11th). (CET 11.6°C)

June 2001: An average month temperature-wise, but still contained lots of dry and sunny weather as well as some spectacular thunderstorms. There was a heatwave at the end, but cold spell at the start bringing snow to above 1000m in Scotland. (CET 14.3°C)

July 2006: Although Im not the greatest of fans of prolonged hot weather it wasnt such a bad month at all. It was very sunny and had 14 days of 25+C in a row here. Temperatures werent unbearably high though, reaching a max of 29.9C in my location. (CET 19.7°C)

August 1996: Warm and sunny for most-part, yet overall it was an average month. (CET 16.5°C)

September 2003: Exceptionally sunny. Very warm start but it some quite cool weather at the end. (CET 14.3°C)

October 2005: Very pleasant to have such warm weather so late in the season. (CET 13.1°C)

November 1993: I agree. It had everything, mild weather at the start, snow, fog and hard frosts at the end. Relatively cold, dry and anticyclonic. (CET 4.6°C)

December 1981: I wish I was around to see this one. The coldest and snowiest December of the 20th century. As well as snow, there were exceptionally low minimas and freezing fog. (CET 0.3°C)

Overall annual CET: 8.90°C. So probably about 1.5-2.0°C lower than we can achieve these days. Shame really.

In July the temps here were between 31c and 36c for a number of days and during the first 4 days of July it was 30c/31c!! Lovely! It was 21c/22c by 8am most days! :)

It was 16 or 17 days of 30c plus over the summer months. My best I reckon!

Edited by richiec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
I agree with Reef's in general but for August i'd pick 2005. I like more storms mixed in with the hot sunny weather.

Just like Snow makes a proper winter, Storms make the perfect summer.

Ironically, August 1996 (Reef's suggestion) had 6 thunder-days in Leeds. :)

I'm guessing you're remembering the tremendous Leeds thunderstorm of 31 August 2005- I was actually there to experience it too!

Posted

Of months I can remember properly I'd go for:

January 1987- absolutely no contest: can just about recall Jan 1985 but that's it for wintry Januaries.

February 1991- 1986 I should recall but don't- perhaps because it didn't produce much snow where I was and prolonged frosts were nothing special in the mid-80s? 1991 for the combination of prolonged cold and deep snow.

March 1995- tricky this one but there are 4 frontrunners: 1987, 1995, 2001 and 2006. I'd just give 1995 the edge as it had everytrhing: snow, frost, warm sunshine, even thunder I seem to recall. 2006 had slighly more snow but its prolonged dull weather let it down.

April 1987- this one is being seriously challenged for the first time right now: 2003 had a go but its hot spell only lasted a couple of days.

May 1992- brilliant month with heatwaves, sunshine, thunder- way ahead of any others.

June 2005- June is another tricky one and like all summer months one I think people's choice will vary a lot according to location. For me 2005 gets it: sunny almost throughout, with some very warm days (after some cold nights to start with) and a wonderful thunderstorm on the 19th. 2006 had an even better first half but here it was badly let down by its rather mediocre, cloudy second half, particularly 16th-26th; 1992 was mostly good too but had a rather wet first 10 days as I remember it.

July 2006- only 1995, 1999 and 1983 which I can only recall snippets of come close to touching it.

August 1995- nothing approaches this one; leaves its nearest challenger 1990 trailing way behind.

September 2006- as for August nothing else comes close with the nearest challengers 1999 and 2003.

October 1997- this is often these days a horrible month; unrelentingly mild, wet and dull. 1997 takes it for a warm start then a very cold end, with plenty of sunshine; October to me should have some frost which rules out 1995 and 2001 and as for 1987- what a grim month where I was, just rain rain rain.

November 1988- takes it over 1993 which some have chosen; 1988 had much more snow here while being equally cold and sunnier.

December 1995- no serious challengers to this one as 1981 I can't remember and 1990 despite a big snowfall had too much mildness the rest of the time.

Posted
NB For January I meant 1963 of course!

Tamara

Ah, a lady after my own heart. I remember that winter well. I was seven years old and my cousin and I made an igloo in the garden. It seemed to last for weeks on end before it melted. I love heatwaves in the summer but for me winter is epitomized by 1962/62. I doubt we'll see another one like that.

Posted
Hi :cold:

I'm glad you are just old enough to remember it - perfection! :cold:

I would be much more enthusiastic about summer heat if I knew it was going to go away and let things cool off properly. It is the sustained year round warmth that I don't like at all and putting me off this summer - to me another heatwave summer this year just represents a continuation of this long term abnormal sequence that is also putting paid to winter prospects.

I guess my ideal year therefore would be 1947. A truly fantastic winter which was followed by a great summer.

Even something half way towards that would a god send!

Tamara

Hi Tamara :)

I know I've got a bit of a reputation as a warm weather lover, and it's true, I do love soaring temps in the summer. However, like yourself, I do like my winters cold and snowy and I too am hoping for a rapid cool down this autumn so as to give us a better chance of some proper winter weather. You mentioned powdery snow in your previous post ..... now that's my idea of wintery heaven! So rarely seen these days but wonderful when it does happen.

Posted

Further to my post about the individual months: I notice some people have cited seasons and/or years so here goes:

Winter: there are a few candidates: 1984/5 I can only vaguely remember, 1986/7 as I recall the cold was limited to January in the winter season, though it returned in March; 1990/1 had two big snowfalls in Dec and Feb but although I remember it being quite frosty there was nothing in January; 1993/4 only February had any decent snow here; 1995/6 all 3 winter months had 5 or more days of lying snow (don't think even the mid-80s winters managed that due to their mild Decembers) and it was seldom very mild; plenty of ice days too and the freezing rain in January- that one takes it.

Spring: my ideal spring of a mixed snowy/sunny March followed by a dry April with warm sunny days but cold, clear nights and a hot May with a storm or two has never happened; 1987 had 2/3 but May let it down; 1995 had a go but did not sustain warm, dry sunny weather for long enough particularly in May; 2001 again had 2/3; in this case April was the letdown and in a big way- cold, wet and horrid.

Summer: it's got to be 1995 despite the poor start to June; 2006 could have snatched it were it not for that miserable August.

Autumn: very tricky; ideally September should start as if it's still summer then the first cold mornings with fog/mist appear towards the month's end; October and early November mixes foggy, frosty nights with crisp sunny days and perhaps an "Indian Summer" for a while; late in November we start to see snow appearing and winter proper starting. 1993 a few have mentioned and yes October and November did for the most part fit my idea of what those months should be; however September was less than pleasant- cool, dull and wet with no summery weather. 2003 was another case of 2 out of 3 ain't bad; warm sunny September, and that modern-day rarity a dry October with frosts; November was a bit too much of a mild cloudy muck month which spoilt it.

Year: 1995 despite a poor February and mediocre September; every other month had something memorable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i think it should be months tht ppl have experienced themselves..so it silly someone saying april 1905 4 example!

anyway mine would be...

Jan 1979..the coldest and snowiest winter month i can remember..the most prolonged cold

Feb 1978..i was lucky enough 2 have experienced the one of the greatest blizzards of the 20th century.

Mar 1995..after a poor winter..this month seemed to have everything

Apr 1987..nice warm weather after a cold march

May 1990..glorious sunny month

Jun 1983...doing my exams beautiful warm end and start of a hot summer

Jul 1976...hot hot hot

Aug 1995...lovely dry heat not 2 humid

Sep 2003...pleasently warm after the heat of aug

Oct 2001..moved house dry and warm end to the month

Nov 1980...very cold beginning with snow in the 1st week

Dec 1981...need i say anymore..prolonged cold very snowy...comes a close 2nd to jan 79 as my fav winter month.

Posted

For me, 1995. What a year that was!

For individual months.

January 1985

February 1996

March 1987

April 1995 (for variety)

May 1992 (for the storms)

June 1992 (for the storms)

July 1994 (for the storms)

August 1995

September 2006

October 1995 (the 8th has always stuck in my head)

November 1985

December 1995 (not in country for December 1981)

Posted
For me, 1995. What a year that was!

For individual months.

January 1985

February 1996

March 1987

April 1995 (for variety)

May 1992 (for the storms)

June 1992 (for the storms)

July 1994 (for the storms)

August 1995

September 2006

October 1995 (the 8th has always stuck in my head)

November 1985

December 1995 (not in country for December 1981)

For me the months to forget.

January 1989

February 1997

March 1988

April 1986

May 1996

June 1991

July 1988

August 1986

September 1986

October 1998

November 2000

December 1988

Posted

I agree 1995 was a spectacular year for it's remarkable summer and the last cold and snowy December of the century. But 1990 was almost as equally as memorable for its;

January for being very mild with that exceptional gale late in the month

February for being extremely warm with hardly any frosts countryside and for containing some summer like mild spells

March for being very warm and April for containing sharp frosts (the only real frosts of the winter)

The May heatwave

The August record breaking temperatures (upto 2003 and 2006)

And the December snowstorm.

Ideally my year would be;

January 1990 for the storm and high temperatures. CET 6.5c (+2.7c)

February 1991 for containing one of the best cold and snowy spells to hit Southern England CET 1.5c (-2.3c)

March 1962 for being the coldest of the 20th century CET 2.8c (-2.9c)

April 2003 (although 2007 is looking better) for it's memorable heatwaves. Some cold nights too. CET 9.6c (+1.7c)

May 1992 for being almost completely warm. CET 13.6c (+2.4c)

June 2003 for being persistantly warm. Best June since the 70's

July 2006; CET 19.7c (+3.7c) Enough said!

August 1995; Brilliantly warm and sunny throughout. Never has an August come close since or before. CET 19.2c (+3.4c)

September 2006; Hot and sunny until the end of the month. Warmest ever. 16.8c (+3.2c)

October 1987; For the thunderstorms and memorable gale. 9.7c (-0.9c)

November 2005; Very warm first half exceptionally cold second with unusual frosts and persistant freezing fog. CET 6.2c (-0.3c)

December 1981; The ice, snow and fog. CET 0.3c (-4.3c)

Yearly CET 10.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My favourite Months from memory [with a little help from the my diary].

January: 1984. Deep and prolonged snow. My fav 5 January's came in the 10 years from 1978 to 1987

Feb: 1979. January's snow still on the ground with more to come.

March: 1975 Wintry. Just beat 1979.

April: 1981 Sunshine then snow.

May: 2001. Sunny

June: 1975. Once in a lifetime snow then sunny and warm.

July: 2006. Sunny and not too hot and humid at night.[at least up here].

Aug: 1981. Had to get one big thunderstorm in. Also lots of sunshine.

Sept: Enjoyed last years.

Oct: 1987 Most difficult to pick. Went for 87 because of variety. Didn't really get the big storm up here.

Nov: 1973. Sunny with snow later.

Dec: Got to be 1981.

Looking at that my fav weather must be snow but if I can't get it give me sunshine. :)

Posted
For me the months to forget.

January 1989

February 1997

March 1988

April 1986

May 1996

June 1991

July 1988

August 1986

September 1986

October 1998

November 2000

December 1988

That's if anything an even harder task- my idea of a year to forget would be something like:

January 2000

February 1997

March 1992

April 1992

May 2002

June 1997

July 1988

August 1992

September 1994

October 2004

November 2002

December 1998

Here this would give a year without any snow, I'm pretty sure without a day over 25C, even 21C would only be reached a handful of times; however I'm loath to include any really exceptional cold (May 1996) wet (Oct and Nov 2000) or warm (Jan 1990, Feb 1998) months as these aren't "to forget" at all. I almost put May 1991 but on second thoughts although it was dull and cool it was also dry- whereas 2002 was just as dull and unexciting but wetter, and didn't break any records for cold- it was just boring and forgettable. Likewise April (had to get one without snow or 21C+ weather) and October (seriously considered 1998 but here it produced some memorble gales and flooding, while 2004 was monotonously dull with steady rain instead of the sudden storms and downpours of 1998 and 2000).

Posted

I'd probably put a 'forgettable' year, using the 1990-2006 period as:

January 1996

February 2002

March 1996

April 1993

May 1993

June 1997

July 2000

August 2006

September 1993

October 2005

November 1997

December 2002

I choose 1990-2006 because that's the period from which I have weather memories (this is why I did the "months in brackets" thing when outlining my favourites, so we had recent examples as well as ones taken from deep within the archives).

I have to admit that my choices are based partly on consideration of the conditions averaged nationally, and not just what I experienced in the North East. July in my 'favourites' list was an obvious example; had I been thinking just of the North East, July 2006 would have easily beaten July 1995. Similarly, August 2004 was my least favourite of the Augusts in the North East, but I think the persistent sea fog of the first half was the main reason; away from the east coast I don't think I'd have found it to be too bad a month.

It's harder to pick 'least favourites' from the archives than 'favourites', so I'm not going to bother with that. Although, August 1912 would take some beating.

Posted
I'd probably put a 'forgettable' year, using the 1990-2006 period as:

January 1996

February 2002

March 1996

April 1993

May 1993

June 1997

July 2000

August 2006

September 1993

October 2005

November 1997

December 2002

I choose 1990-2006 because that's the period from which I have weather memories (this is why I did the "months in brackets" thing when outlining my favourites, so we had recent examples as well as ones taken from deep within the archives).

I have to admit that my choices are based partly on consideration of the conditions averaged nationally, and not just what I experienced in the North East. July in my 'favourites' list was an obvious example; had I been thinking just of the North East, July 2006 would have easily beaten July 1995. Similarly, August 2004 was my least favourite of the Augusts in the North East, but I think the persistent sea fog of the first half was the main reason; away from the east coast I don't think I'd have found it to be too bad a month.

It's harder to pick 'least favourites' from the archives than 'favourites', so I'm not going to bother with that. Although, August 1912 would take some beating.

I'll admit doing the opposite for both my lists: it was largely based on where I was at the time (the North-East for November 2002 as it happened; I was there for the first half of December too which was just as bad- however in Shrewsbury it was less dull and did manage a bit of snow like it did in much of southern Britain); August 2004 here although wet was hot and thundery with most of the rain coming in a few intense downpours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I can't remember a forgetable year :drinks: [though Dec 2006 to March 2007 must come into it.]

Posted
  • Location: Scaggsville, MD (Midway between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.)
  • Location: Scaggsville, MD (Midway between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.)
Something I have wanted to do for a while but not had the time to seriously think about.

What would be your ideal weather for the year taking conditions from previous months? I'm not sure if this has been done before, but i would be interested to see what people come up with.

I will not be delving too far back into the past as I only want to state those that stay in my memory i.e. post 1989

January 2001 reaon-again not a particularly cold month but a very sunny one something that January is not renowned for

February 1996 reason-not a bitter month by any standards but a very snowy one, nearly 18 inches in parts of Cumbria

March 1995 reason-a potent arcitc airstream for the first 8 days then spring like with further wintry spell at the end

April

May 1992 a very sunny and warm month perfect May

June 2005 sunny and warm but not too hot

July 1995 brilliant summer weather

August 1995 brilliant summer weather

September 1995 a cyclonic september with lots of rain just what was needed after the long hot summer and a precursor to a good winter (if only we saw septembers like that now!)

October 1993 cold and autumnal with notable frosty spell mid month what october should be

November 1993 very cold conditions mid-late month with persistant frosty weather agin how I like my Novembers

December 1995 wonderful festive weather snowy early on then the bitter christmas

If i was to name a complete calander year i woul go for the period Sept 1993-August 1994 a cold autumn lots of frost and some early snow a variable at times wintry winter a showery spring and lots of summer warmth and thunderstorms

For my area:

January 2000 A generally cold month with two sizeable snowfalls, one developing unexpectedly

February 2003 Another cold month with two moderate snowfalls and one big blizzard (Baltimore and Boston's biggest snowstorm on record)

March 1993 Unseasonably cold, including the "Superstorm"

April 2001 Pleasant and mild

May 1999 Pleasant and warm

June 2001 Mostly Sunny and somewhat cool

July 2003 Seasonal with lots of thunderstorms

August 1992 Unseasonably cool summer weather

September 1998 Splendid Indian summer warmth

October 2001 One of the sunniest, driest months ever

November 1987 Seasonal with an early moderate snowstorm on the 11th

December 1963 Cold with the largest Christmas snowstorm on record

I don't know why anyone would like your January weather. It doesn't get any worse than cold and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Can't name all months by year but...

January

Good - generally dry and cold but with one or two significant snow events. Winds sourced from the NE and containing a mix of freezing clear days and frontal snow systems from the east. The best month for winter to contain itself. Temps generally below 5c throughout with some exteme cold nights -10c and lower.

Bad - Cloudy. Stagnent HP cell with featureless stratus for weeks. Couple it with a raw easterly giving rise to temps around 0c day & night. No thanks!

February

Good - Kicking off where Jan left off but with a warm spell somewhere with temps into the low teens briefly giving a taste of spring. Another snow event but briefer this time.

Bad - Same as for Jan - cloudy!

March -

Good - Mix of cold periods mixed with snow and warm spells as temps reach the mid teens on occasion. Some Atlantic systems to get everything soaked ready for the growth season.

Bad - A month where winter outstays its welcome and/or we get a period like March 2006 with cloudy skies & cold.

April-

Good - Cold periods now getting less frequent with a good number of warm, sunny periods and temps making 20c+ from time to time. Two outbreaks for the north containing spring sunshine & showers with very clear, sunny skies inbetween.

Bad - Stream of Atlantic depressions blocking out the spring sunshine.

May -

Good - 50% settled warm to hot periods and 50% showery/rain periods to prevent drought. Temps peak at 25-27c on a couple of days.

Bad - The summer monsoon lasts too long! Grey skies from easterlies over coldish North Sea.

June -

Good - 100% sunshine. A month I most like to have settled, dry & sunny. Doesn't need exceptional heat, just day after day of blazing sunshine. Temps 22-24c by day; 12-15c mins.

Bad - Rainy, grey and chilly.

July -

Good - Hot. Mostly hot, settled & dry with one or two good thunderstorms mixed in for good measure. Temps 25c+ and mins of 15-18c.

Bad - Cool/Atlantic dominated.

August -

Good - Humid, stormy. Plenty of storms, less hot than July but high minima from the imported humid air that the storms ride on.

Bad - Last August!

September -

Good - Sept 2006 - dry, sunny, pleasently warm. No sign of autumn until late month.

Bad - Autumn appearing too early!

October -

Good - Rapid cooldown in first week or so and generally dominated by strong storms from the Atlantic soaking the post summer dry ground. Tending to blow themselves out by late month and giving way to November style weather..

Bad - Too much warmth as its almost wasted in the very limited daylight hours.

November -

Good - Chunky HP system on top of the UK giving very cold nights, clear sunny days mixed in with thick fog & frost.

Bad - Again heat hanging on too long. A rainy 5th Nov is bad too!

December -

Good - Kicking off milder with rain to get those winter rains in then turning colder & having plenty of snow storms/showers over xmas periods. Nothing transport link killing - just pretty snowfall. Save the disruption for Jan when we all want days off work!

Bad - Too mild and pref nothing too severe for festive period giving rise to ruined xmas/nye plans.

Not too much to ask is it? :p

Posted

OK here goes:

January 1987 0.8C (Just beating January 1985) Cold and snowy

February 1991 1.5C (Just beating February 1985) Cold and snowy

March 1987 4.1C Cold with some snow

April 1989 6.6C Cold with notable snow event on 5th

May 2005 11.4C Average overall but warm start and short heatwave towards end of month

June 2003 16.1C Very warm and dry

July 2003 17.6C Very warm and dry but not too hot

August 1995 19.3C Hot and dry. Very good weather for holidays in UK

September 1995 13.7C A welcome relief after a long hot dry Summer

October 1995 12.9C A very pleasant month indeed

November 1993 4.6C Cold and frosty with some snow after mid-month

December 1981 0.3C A fantastic month! Probably won't see another like it

Don :p