Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Calculate your carbon footprint

MAF

Posted

Your carbon footprint

Your CO2 Result for your home is 3.25 tonnes per year.

This is the amount of CO2 produced from heating and lighting your home for a year.

Your CO2 Result for your appliances is 1.68 tonnes per year.

This is the amount of CO2 emitted from powering your electrical appliances for a year.

Edited by Mick

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

When I can finally get on there I'll be interested to see how it deals with my wood burning stoves! As wood is "supposedly" a carbon neutral fuel (as discussed in a thread a few months ago).

In the meantime I think the curry and onion bhajis I had last night have temporarily increased my carbon footprint.

Posted

yes it is a hard site to get onto. but the results should be interesting as more and more people post them here. we may even get an average footprint for the NW membership :)finally got my full resultYour CO2 result is 5.35 tonnes per yearYour target footprint total is 4.28 tonnes per year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

apparently mine is 3.45 tonnes per year....not bad as i didnt think i was paricularly green and i have 3 kids and live in a big house!

Posted

My famly footprint is 10.67 slighly above the natnal average. I will have another go later becouse i didn't answer all the qustions properly

Posted

2.73 for the lights etc, 2.66 for appliances and 1.11 for travel.

I'm chuffed with that.. :whistling:

Posted

our footprint was 6.02 tonnes which is well below the average, get my solar heating in and see what difference that makes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Mine's about 2.5 tonnes per year. However, that doesn't take into account the 250 miles a day driving I do for work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'm not going to check as it will make no difference IMO. Good site for those that are though

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

Heating 3.06 tons a year

Appliance 1.77 tons a year

transport 0 tons a yr

Total for a year is 4.83 based on a family of 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

5.14 tons, but i feel a little hard done by as I harvested over 200 tons of sustainable hardwood which will be locked into furniture and houses for some years :doh:

Looked at another way my footprint is -195 tons

Russ

Posted

I'm not the greatest proponent of AGW theories, but I would be willing to give it 25% of the role in the current warming.

So, even I am concerned about the potential for future increases in greenhouse gases, if China and India, or Asia in general, continue to develop their economic growth.

Here in Vancouver, you can see an indication of how things might play out, because here we have substantial wealthy Chinese and Indo-Canadian (as we term it) communities. The percentage of these households who prefer larger vehicles like SUVs and large homes with high energy consumption, is significant.

Within 10-20 years, it is conceivable to me that China may become almost as wealthy as South Korea or Japan, why not as long as there is no collapse of their currency?

They have only just gotten started on the road to wealth in these two largest populations on earth, and without looking up the statistics, I would guess that vehicle ownership is in the 10% range, unlike developed nations where almost every employed adult has a vehicle.

When those numbers increase to 50% or more, the greenhouse gas emissions from China will be truly staggering. Their population is five times that of the U.S.A. and seven times that of Russia. Even if they only reach half the per capita economic indices of the developed nations, their carbon footprint will make ours look like a few toes' worth by comparison.

And the environmental consciousness of these cultures is bleak, to say the least. The government of China in particular is unlikely to care about global warming -- there is no real down side in it for them, if their perceived adversaries are battling a rising sea level and shifting agricultural zones. They would probably welcome a milder winter in most parts of China, and getting the government there to care about global issues would be quite a challenge. Everything is seen in terms of how it affects "the middle kingdom" and that's the end of the story.

Posted

6.08 tonnes for me - but I mostly work from home, so it is probably more efficient than travelling to an office and using more heat and light there.

Apart from the overseas travelling I do, of course... :drinks:

Posted

OMG up to the middle of last year it was......wait for it.......32 tonnes! Shameful.

Admittedly a household of four including 2 teenage girls, er make that 3 teenage girls including mrs ffO.

Since she ran off with the guy from the video rental store (I kid you not) my CO2 footprint is now a more respectable 5.5 tonnes and nost of that was from a holiday abroad.

Still I'd rather have the 32 tonnes and my old life back.

Penguin, Stratos and others - sorry guys, one of the reasons I have not been too sociable on NW in the past year or so.

ffO.

Posted

I'm gobsmacked FFO...I didn't know people still rented videos.

My heating footprint is next to nothing because I burn logs and don't use oil or gas, but it's the appliance use and transport which makes it soar. It's got to be massively generalised though because whilst I might drive a long way, almost none of it is in congested traffic, so my conscience is clear...he says trying to convince himself.

Posted

Household of four (including three female types)

House 7.80

Appliances 1.29

Transport 15.86

Total 24.95 Tonnes / Year.

Posted

Smug, smug, smug, smug, smug 0.77 tonnes a year (although they say I should be able to cut it to 0.62....)