Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Netweather goes carbon neutral

Paul

Posted

I thought I'd let you know about something we have signed up to recently, our hosts (Rackspace) have a carbon neutral scheme which Netweather is now a part of, details here:

http://www.rackspace.co.uk/default.asp?docId=15833

It effectively means that trees will be planted to offset the carbon emissions caused by the energy being required to run our servers. In the great scheme of things it's not a huge amount but every little helps!

Posted

:):)

Nothing against NW, but this is the type of feel good environmentalism that gets my goat.

It's not about planting new tree's, it's about reducing the amount of CO2 emitted....

If you want to offset carbon by helping to pay for a methane cap on a mine in China, fine but a tree will take many years to offset the carbon, it won't be immediate.

Sorry difficult to satisfy everybody all of the time and I know I will appear like a Victor but......

Might as well recycle bloody chirstmas cards !.

Anyway good that the AGW message is getting through ! :)

Posted
:):)

Nothing against NW, but this is the type of feel good environmentalism that gets my goat.

It's not about planting new tree's, it's about reducing the amount of CO2 emitted....

If you want to offset carbon by helping to pay for a methane cap on a mine in China, fine but a tree will take many years to offset the carbon, it won't be immediate.

Sorry difficult to satisfy everybody all of the time and I know I will appear like a Victor but......

Might as well recycle bloody chirstmas cards !.

Anyway good that the AGW message is getting through ! :)

Paul's good, but I don't think he has much influence over China.

Posted

There are a lot of carbon offseting companies that do just that in China, however it costs approx 20 times more to offset your carbon that way, the real way.

Posted
There are a lot of carbon offseting companies that do just that in China, however it costs approx 20 times more to offset your carbon that way, the real way.

See this is what puts people off doing anything. Because as soon as they do someone comes along and says, why don't you do more, and when they do they're still not satisfied! You can't please some people.

Posted

The old saying comes to mind "it's good to say sorry if you've done something wrong, but it's better not to do something wrong in the first place".

It's good that people do something as long as they don't think that that something will solve the problem.

Edited by Iceberg

Posted
It's good that people do something as long as they don't think that that something will solve the problem.

Nobody has claimed this will solve global warming though have they? It is just to offset the forums carbon footprint? For goodness sake!

Posted

And lets agree its a positive step that has been taken...ratehr than doing nothing. Lets not get negative about something that is positive.

Posted
But it doesn't, It's good for the environment but don't think it means your CO2 footprint it neutralised because it ain't.

Let agree to disagree. :)

So we do nothing?

I don't bother turning my mobile charger off, I don't use energy saving lightbulbs, because it's such a teeny amount of energy saved? I'm sorry but that attitude sucks. I'd rather do my bit however small than sit in judgement over those who are trying to help.

Paul already said in the grand scheme of things it's only a small amount, he's not claiming to try to reverse AGW. So well done Paul, I'm glad you are doing your bit. :)

Posted

I think your missing my point, those things do help hence they are good they reduce the amount of CO2 now, planting a tree doesn't really help and will stop people from taking the real action to reduce emissions, hence it's kind of indifferent except it helps to spread support for AGW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

What problem? :) Well done NW more trees are good anyway

BFTP

Posted
I think your missing my point, those things do help hence they are good they reduce the amount of CO2 now, planting a tree doesn't really help and will stop people from taking the real action to reduce emissions, hence it's kind of indifferent except it helps to spread support for AGW.

Errrm, so what's your suggestion for a web company, to use a server which doesn't use electricity? Having trees planted provides a balance to the carbon being omitted, as I said above it's not a huge thing but it's a commitment to trying to do something.

Posted
Errrm, so what's your suggestion for a web company, to use a server which doesn't use electricity? Having trees planted provides a balance to the carbon being omitted, as I said above it's not a huge thing but it's a commitment to trying to do something.

Yes, I've just started a company to replace the use of the internet using carrier pigeons. The response time is a little slow and I have very special type of "http 404 bird" when I've run out of pigeons to send out.

Do you think the idea will catch on?

Posted

Have you not heard of Mice ?. :)

I don't think I am being critical of NW in anyway as your not choosing this route, it's your hoster.

It's personal preference I hate fluffy bunny/feel good environmentalism, btw I am only replying where I am directly quoted, as I said before I am happy to agree to disagree as EOD it's personal preference.

Use a server that buys it's electricity directly from 100% renewable suppliers, (there are some!)

Just found the below.

"Rackspace's carbon neutral initiative is about more than just tree planting, other projects include the utilisation of a data centre, announced in April 2007, that will run on environmentally friendly energy."

The above makes much more sense and I applaud it completely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
"Rackspace's carbon neutral initiative is about more than just tree planting, other projects include the utilisation of a data centre, announced in April 2007, that will run on environmentally friendly energy."

The above makes much more sense and I applaud it completely.

Except those god awful, ugly inefficient wind farms. When i see them think of the damage they have caused to the beauty of an area....and I also think of the Tripod Trilogy, that great set of books by John Christopher:D

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

Good on you Paul, we should give something back to the environment.

Iceburg - turn your computer off and do your bit. :)

Posted

I don't fully understand how it all works but i'm sure planting trees must help in someway but for crying loud respect Iceberg's opinion, this sounds like an EU Meeting with everyone on board accept one....all disagreeing just sounds like bullies.

Edited by disco-barry

Posted
I don't fully understand how it all works but i'm sure planting trees must help in someway but for crying loud respect Iceberg's opinion, this sounds like an EU Meeting with everyone on board accept one....all disagreeing just sounds like bullies.

Oooooooooo... Get you... :)

Posted

Well it's a bit of a bugger if when someone dares to oppose to what you all think you jump on him like a pack of hounds and beat down he is wrong, A prime example of extreme PC culture.

Edited by Wibs
I had to DB

Posted

Not sure what you're expecting people to do DB, not reply because they are in the majority? I see nothing in this thread which would constitute bullying, people are giving their opinions - the majority at this time are in agreement but that can change if more people decide to give their thoughts.

Posted

It's not that they're saying he's wrong it's more they shoot him down for even daring to think in another way and question what people are doing, what makes what they say so right and him wrong? Oh yes they're the majority!

I call it bullying Paul in respect to you thinking it isn't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Plant more trees.

Yes the effect is slow in human terms but the planet is old and in those timescales the effect is instant.

I think we should go further and allow a volantary extra to be paid alongide our subscription into a kitty which can go towards planting the NW 'bring back cold winters' wood.