Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Birds

disco-barry

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Does look like a sparrowhawk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Does look like a sparrowhawk.

I think I'll name the shot twilight raptor for now :unsure:

I'll have another go if I get the chance over the next few days as I walk the dogs :lol:

Regards,

Russ

Posted

It looks more like a falcon of some type rather than a sparrowhawk; the wings are to angulated and pointed to be a sparrowhawk (or Goshawk for that matter). As already mentioned, doesn't look bulky enough to be a peregrine. I would be thinking more likely to be a kestrel, merlin or even a Hobby (although this is less likely as they are summer visitors AFAIK, could have just arrived though and you are in the right part of England for them).

Let us know if you find out the identity of the elusive 'raptor'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The tail is too 'pencil like' to be a Kessy, though small i still think it looks like a Peregrine. I watched a pair courting the other day (tumbling and going 'talon to talon' as they tumbled) and the silhouette looks very similar. If we could see it in motion then I dare say he was going in a straight line with wings part folded (at speed!).

I hope he was a Peregrine as they are making a recovery from the low numbers of the 70's. Anyone got any snaps of a Red Kite as I feel that they will be occupying these parts soon enough as they follow the road kill from the Sheffield area and I'd like some idea of the shape I am looking for.

Ta!

Ian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
The tail is too 'pencil like' to be a Kessy, though small i still think it looks like a Peregrine. I watched a pair courting the other day (tumbling and going 'talon to talon' as they tumbled) and the silhouette looks very similar. If we could see it in motion then I dare say he was going in a straight line with wings part folded (at speed!).

I hope he was a Peregrine as they are making a recovery from the low numbers of the 70's. Anyone got any snaps of a Red Kite as I feel that they will be occupying these parts soon enough as they follow the road kill from the Sheffield area and I'd like some idea of the shape I am looking for.

Ta!

Ian.

Hi, here's a couple of small pics of the lovely Red Kites.

(Not my own)

post-3933-1206951821_thumb.jpg

post-3933-1206951866_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen any near me here, but there's lots back in Northants.

B.

Posted

Had a Marsh tit visit the bird table over the weekend. First time I have seen one on there.

post-5517-1206955591_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi folks,

Me and the Mrs walked the Downs again last night, just after sunset and the bird was there again, it flew over very fast, when it glided arrow like I was reassured that it is a Peregrine, no picture possible as it was gone that quick.

Soon as it happens to fly over when I have my finger on the button I'll get another shot....I hope :)

I must point out that I will only walk the paths I usually walk and make no special effort to "look for it". Primarily because it is Bird nesting season so I don't want to disturb anything by being silly and crashing through all over the place. :)

Now back to the job in hand, change clutch on Landrover... great ;);)

Regards,

Russ

Had a Marsh tit visit the bird table over the weekend. First time I have seen one on there.

They are rare, we have them on the Island near Ryde, I know this as one of the reserves I help with has experts visiting specially to monitor them :) Was shown them by the visiting expert, they like woodland next to marshes best, our Marsh Tits fly around with other little birds of the same size, so they are very difficult to spot.

Right the clutch on that landrover, better go :lol:

Russ

Posted

Ooo what a little poppet.

Well done with the photo, good to see him.

Cheers,

BL.

Posted

Thanks for the Red Kite, I take it that they are quite a size (nearly Buzzard sized) and have a deep fork in their tail?

I never knew a Marsh Tit looked so similar to a Coal Tit!, I take it they are more Great Tit sized (as the Coal Tit is blue Tit sized)?

Posted
Thanks for the Red Kite, I take it that they are quite a size (nearly Buzzard sized) and have a deep fork in their tail?

I never knew a Marsh Tit looked so similar to a Coal Tit!, I take it they are more Great Tit sized (as the Coal Tit is blue Tit sized)?

post-5517-1206960512_thumb.jpg

Coal tit is quite a bit different really.

post-5517-1206960558_thumb.jpg

Marsh Tit

post-5517-1206960589_thumb.jpg

Willow Tit

Posted

I was at Mum and Dad's over the Easter weekend with my camera (mostly because of the snow!!). They have many birds visit their garden, the usual suspects but also jays, green and greater spotted woodpeckers and this little fella, a Nuthatch.

post-631-1206960841_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi, I've just found out that the red kite females have a wing span of 5' 7" ! wow.

I've seen plenty in the skies, but I didn't realize they were so big.

Here's another v. gd photo' of one .

post-3933-1206962527_thumb.jpg

Cheers, BL

Posted
It's courtesy of a web site BL

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

I never had time to get my camera. I don't move very fast. :lol:

Thanks for that! (and the link).

Just seen a Wren making use of one of our box's. The box's have been up for 5 years and nowt so maybe this year? Apparently Wrens make more than one nest and move site (with young) if disturbed so I may have to keep it on the QT from Jamie ;)

Posted
It's courtesy of a web site BL

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

I never had time to get my camera. I don't move very fast. :lol:

Oh I see, sorry, lol.

Quite understand, I recently failed to photo some unusual birds in my garden.

I thought they looked very like Cirl Buntings, but most folks suspect they were

Siskins or Chaffinches.

I hadn't even heard of Marsh Tits before tho', so glad to see a pic ;)

Cheers, BL.

Posted
Thanks for that! (and the link).

Just seen a Wren making use of one of our box's. The box's have been up for 5 years and nowt so maybe this year? Apparently Wrens make more than one nest and move site (with young) if disturbed so I may have to keep it on the QT from Jamie :)

Hope it makes it home there for you. Baby Wrens are great fun to watch. Like bumblebees trying to hang on to walls etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
This flew by last night about 1000 yards from our house, very fast or rather It went fast as soon as I went for the camera :) , is it a falcon?

The first picture I have had a go at refining, to try to bring any detail out. The next two are cropped originals.

Kind regards,

Russ

I was thinking it looks like a Hobby, although it is a little bit early according the RSPB site, but seeing as you live on the Isle of Wight it's possible it's one of the first arrivals but either that or a Kestrel I thought.

Edited by James M

Posted
I was thinking it looks like a Hobby, although it is a little bit early according the RSPB site, but seeing as you live on the Isle of Wight it's possible it's one of the first arrivals but either that or a Kestrel I thought.

Well this evening I could not find the bird anywhere. Then I got home and loaded the photos...Sat on a pinnacle of chalk, at extreme range, I could not see it whilst I was looking right at it :doh:post-4726-1206995440_thumb.jpgpost-4726-1206995457_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Well this evening I could not find the bird anywhere. Then I got home and loaded the photos...Sat on a pinnacle of chalk, at extreme range, I could not see it whilst I was looking right at it :doh:post-4726-1206995440_thumb.jpgpost-4726-1206995457_thumb.jpg

Well that looks like a Peregrine to me if it is the same bird as before, I missed the bit where you said it was bigger than a pigeon so it's probably that, though I agree with the others that it didn't look bulky enough to be one at first.

Edited by James M

Posted

I would reply to your reply James, but there is nothing to reply to, as I think you must have accidentally deleted it :doh:

Posted
:doh: I was just editing my reply and I had to delete it because it came out absolute jibberish.

Posted
Well that looks like a Peregrine to me if it is the same bird as before, I missed the bit where you said it was bigger than a pigeon so it's probably that, though I agree with the others that it didn't look bulky enough to be one at first.

Well now I know where it hangs out, every time I go up there I'll know where to look.

There is actually a public bench seat just 50 yards or so from the pinnacle, so its on the next walking itinerary to have a rest there :doh:post-4726-1206998202_thumb.jpg

Lol the earlier reply :D

Regards,

Russ

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

See lots of different birds around here but can anyone say why the mallard is this colour, I think it may be bred with a farmyard duck perhaps but don't really know...

post-8227-1208552273_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Mokey

Just having a look in one of my bird books , and if this a mallard, it could possibly be a Hybrid. Book says Hybids with domestic ducks are often black or white

nigel

Posted
Mokey

Just having a look in one of my bird books , and if this a mallard, it could possibly be a Hybrid. Book says Hybids with domestic ducks are often black or white

nigel

Thanks, I thought it may be but wasn't sure so that helps a lot.

Edit: I forgot to say we have loads of waterbirds around here (I live right near where a river meets the sea) and the swans have 7 eggs in their nest, the ducks and moorhens are nesting, I think the pair of little greebs we saw are nesting (not sure) and some of the coots have hatched.

post-8227-1208589607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mokey