Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Birds

disco-barry

Posted

I'm quite fortunate i think to be see alot of differant types of birds and be interested so i thought i'd create a thread about what you see in your garden/local area and i guess how they behave???

I'll start with saying i see all sorts so i'll list a few....

Nuthatches, Robins, Kestrels, Dunnocks, Cole t1t, Treecreepers, Gold Finches, Chaffinches.

There what i can remember and i see these literally everyday (except the Kestrels) in the garden, On the bird table we also have a house mouse which visits us and a field mouse (the nicer of the two) who i literally put my nose up to and they aren't bothered so i'll post a pic this week of one of them.

This would be good to be a 'sticky thread' i think.

Ta ra, DB.

Posted

This is one area of my knowledge which is severely lacking. I have no idea what the names of the different bird species are that come to my garden. The only ones I really notice are blackbirds, blue tits, robin's, the occasional seagull and magpie.

Posted

Mostly starlings, and blue tits (next door neighbour has a huge broom tree which overhangs into my garden and the blue tits love it!) - also have a robin that hops about. Wood pigeons are often around, but not many blackbirds. I do have swifts that visit during the earlier months and they used to make a next in the eaves of the house but they didn't this year, for the first time.

I also have a flock of green parrots and sit and sqwark in the trees at the back of the garden as well!! Hardly ever see a sparrow though and I love those cheeky chaps!!

Posted

Ummm, over this past year we have had...

Blue tit, Great tit, Marsh tit, Sparrow, Thrush, Starling, Robin, Black Bird, Barn Owl, Wren, Magpie, Crows, Sea birds of various types flying over, Yellowhammer (landed on the chimney), House Martin, Bull Finch and Chaffinch, Pigeon, Collared Dove and Rook...

Seen flying directly over the garden, Sparrow Hawk, Red Kite, Swallows.

Heard, Woodpecker and Cuckoo.

Thats all that I can remember at the moment anyway!

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
Ummm, over this past year we have had...

Blue tit, Great tit, Marsh tit, Sparrow, Thrush, Starling, Robin, Black Bird, Barn Owl, Wren, Magpie, Crows, Sea birds of various types flying over, Yellowhammer (landed on the chimney), House Martin, Bull Finch and Chaffinch, Pigeon, Collared Dove and Rook...

Seen flying directly over the garden, Sparrow Hawk, Red Kite, Swallows.

Heard, Woodpecker and Cuckoo.

Thats all that I can remember at the moment anyway!

Wow .. that is a lot -lucky you! I also have seen magpies and crows at the bottom of the garden (forgot about that)

Posted

I live on the eastern edge of Colchester, hmmm, 5 minutes walk and you are into the surrounding fields, we do also have Abberton Reservoir nearby which has a wild bird sanctuary, plus marshes etc to the east including salt marshes down by Mersea Island so we may get a slightly bigger variation of birds in our garden due to this. ;)

Posted

Sparrows, blackbirds, wood pigeon all known to nest in my garden. Have also has gold finches nesting but not seen this year.

Visitors mainly starlings, robins and occasionally blue tits. Also had a gang of rowdy young jays a few weeks back.

Posted

2 buzzards, a passing kestrel, Male Sparrowhawk, a pigeon currently nesting on 2 squabs in a hazel tree, 2 poss' 3 green woodpeckers are usually somewhere in the orchard, moorhens and mallards in the flighting pond & all the usual tits, sparrows etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Hhmmm, Let's see, Blackbird, Thrush (song and Mistle) Starling, Wren,Hedge sparrow (Dunnock), House sparrow, Tree sparrow, BlueTit,Great Tit, Coal tit,Long tailed tit,Greenfinch,Goldfinch,Bullfinch,Chaffinch,Woodpidgeon,Collard Dove,Robin,Jackdaw,Magpie,Crow,Jay,Sparrow hawk,Tawny Owl. in the vicinity (but not in the garden...yet).Green Woodpecker,Great spotted woodpecker,Buzzard, Curlew,Lapwing,Golden plover,Swift,Swallow House Martin,Cuckoo,Lots of L.B.J.'s over summer (fly catchers and Warblers mainly....I think!) Fieldfare,Redwing,Skylark,Brambling,Kestrel,Buzzard.

Probably more but I don't have as much time to watch as I'd like!

A list of the birds in the garden I've seen over last year or so:

Blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, coal tits, robins, house sparrows, wrens, dunnocks, greenfinches, goldfinches, chaffinches, bullfinches, carrion crows, magpies, jackdaws, collared doves, feral pigeons, sparrowhawks, blackbirds, song thrushes, mistle thrushes and starlings, lesser black backed gulls, common gulls, herring gulls and wood pigeons.

Nearby, ravens and buzzards are common overhead, also seen herons and a peregrine falcon.

Edited by Magpie

Posted

Right now ; 3 Greenfinches feeding on sunflower seeds and a Robin 'ticking' his disapproval at something or other.

These are regular visitors ; Robins, Grenfinches, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinches, Sparrows, Dunnocks, Goldfinches, Woodpigeons, Collared Doves, Jackdaws, Wrens, Magpies, Starlings.

Have also seen these birds of of prey ; Kestrels, Buzzards and Sparrowhawks.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Around, In or over the garden!.

Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Sparrow hawk, Kestrel, Blue tit, great tit, Long tailed tit, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Starling, Blackbird, Song thrush, Mistle thrush, Rook, Jackdaw, Magpie, Green woodpecker, Cuckoo, Woodpigeon, Collard dove, Robin, Wren, and hundreds of sparrows.

In the fields nearby we have also seen, Heron, Mute swan, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, and a common buzzard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

All the birds seen in our area (Saddleworth) and a * for those seen in or from our garden aswell:

Grey Heron*

Canada Goose*

Mallard*

Buzzard

Sparrowhawk*

Peregrine

Kestrel

Merlin

Red Grouse

Moorhen

Coot

Lapwing

Curlew

Black-headed Gull*

Feral Pigeon*

Woodpigeon*

Collared Dove*

Tawny Owl*

Swift*

Great Spotted Woodpecker*

Swallow*

House Martin*

Pied Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Wren*

Dipper

Waxwing*

Dunnock*

Robin*

Wheatear

Song Thrush*

Mistle Thrush*

Blackbird*

Garden Warbler*

Chiffchaff*

Goldcrest*

Great Tit*

Blue Tit*

Coal Tit*

Marsh Tit*

Long-tailed Tit*

Nuthatch*

Magpie*

Jay*

Jackdaw*

Rook*

Carrion Crow*

Raven

Starling*

House Sparrow*

Chaffinch*

Twite

Goldfinch*

Greenfinch*

Siskin*

Bullfinch*

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
Hhmmm, Let's see, Blackbird, Thrush (song and Mistle) Starling, Wren,Hedge sparrow (Dunnock), House sparrow, Tree sparrow, BlueTit,Great Tit, Coal tit,Long tailed tit,Greenfinch,Goldfinch,Bullfinch,Chaffinch,Woodpidgeon,Collard Dove,Robin,Jackdaw,Magpie,Crow,Jay,Sparrow hawk,Tawny Owl. in the vicinity (but not in the garden...yet).Green Woodpecker,Great spotted woodpecker,Buzzard, Curlew,Lapwing,Golden plover,Swift,Swallow House Martin,Cuckoo,Lots of L.B.J.'s over summer (fly catchers and Warblers mainly....I think!) Fieldfare,Redwing,Skylark,Brambling,Kestrel,Buzzard.

Probably more but I don't have as much time to watch as I'd like!

:) Blimey GW I had no idea you lived in a nature reserve.

I have been lucky enough to spot the following so far this year:

Feral Pigeon (AKA Domesticated Rock Doves who think they are Fred Astaire and tap dance on our roof)

Carion Crow

Blue Tit

Greenfinch

Robin

Starling

Blackbird

House Sparrow

Great Tit

There is also a bird of prey (i'm guessing) of some nature which regularly visits a huge Oak Tree which we have at the end of the garden. The noise it makes is unbelievable and all the other birds dissapear when it's around. However, I haven't managed to get a good look at it yet.

Edited by Dazza

I forgot to mention I saw several Red Kites yesterday during a bike ride deep into mid Wales. One was on a telegraph pole just a few feet away. They are very common up there - I've seen loads. There were about 4 around one area calling to each other.

There's been an owl of some sort on a telegraph pole outside my house too. A Tawny owl I think.

Posted

The one i mostly see are Blackbirds, sometimes seagulls come early morning. I hardley see any robins, just the odd one and i see a couple of Magpies but thats about it however don't know all the names of birds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
:) Blimey GW I had no idea you lived in a nature reserve.

We are fortunate enough to live on the edge of the upland areas of West Yorks and the Moors fetch in 'Upland waders' ,over spring/early summer ,to lay. For me there's nothing 'emotes' wilderness in a person like a nighttime Curlew calling or an overflying Oyster Catchers 'keeping in contact' with it's flight partners!

When we moved in here (nearly 10 yrs ago now!) our only garden visitors (and not 'flythroughs') were Magpies and Jackdaws. A few steps away from the 'mono culture' lawn and Pyrheahcantha's , and more into 'local planting' and wild areas (along with feeding over winter) has led to the explosion of visitors. The first 'stranger' in was a Coal Tit, and ,as if the rest were watching the brave little fellow, the rest came soon after (within a year).

When you move into 'New Housing' old habitats have been destroyed so try your best to put the 'basics' back (wild bit, water....even if just a buried plastic planter that holds water and food over winter)

With the overt 'manicuring' of our countryside gardens are becoming ever more important to our 'wildlife'.

With the overt 'manicuring' of our countryside gardens are becoming ever more important to our 'wildlife'.

True, but even our gardens now are becoming increasingly manicured, and you have this trend of that awful awful decking, stone chippings, or just plain concreted "gardens". Why anybody would want a garden that's just a load of concrete or wood I don't know. It's certainly damaging our wildlife considerably, looks awful to me too. There are still some very nice green gardens with plenty of bushes and trees out there though. The wilder the better I say.

Posted

Birds, one of my other great interests :D

Birds seen in, over and from the garden in last 21 months.

Canada Goose, Mallard, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Kestrel, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove ,Feral Pigeon, Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Redwing, Mistle Thrush, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow, Goldfinch.